• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

RTX 4070 12GB, is it Worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know, I'm moving away from the gaming side of things and more into the creativity and production side of things, and when software like Devinci Resolve etc are starting to utilize CUDA cores more and more then it's getting harder to move away from Nvidia. That's why I'm looking to upgrade my 3060 to a 4070. It'll be bottlenecked a little by my CPU but should provide a pretty decent boost in performance. Also I'm atrracted by the TDP which is only 200w compared to AMD pulling a lot more for the same performance, i don't have a huge PSU and it can't be swapped because is an MSI Ageais pre-built. So my options are limited. £600 was too much but i feel the 4070 is a "fair" price at £500. Anything under that becomes a good bargin.

I don't know, I'm moving away from the gaming side of things and more into the creativity and production side of things, and when software like Devinci Resolve etc are starting to utilize CUDA cores more and more then it's getting harder to move away from Nvidia. That's why I'm looking to upgrade my 3060 to a 4070. It'll be bottlenecked a little by my CPU but should provide a pretty decent boost in performance. Also I'm atrracted by the TDP which is only 200w compared to AMD pulling a lot more for the same performance, i don't have a huge PSU and it can't be swapped because is an MSI Ageais pre-built. So my options are limited. £600 was too much but i feel the 4070 is a "fair" price at £500. Anything under that becomes a good bargin.
It really is horses for course these days. If you can use Nvidia's features their cards make sense. AMD seem to be aiming their GPU's more towards gaming these days.

It really is horses for course these days. If you can use Nvidia's features their cards make sense. AMD seem to be aiming their GPU's more towards gaming these days.
Exactly, their features like super resolution which is now supported in VLC, VC1 encoding, Nvidia broadcasting and Nvidia are hinting at the CUDA cores getting involved in AI processing is very attractive to me. If you use your PC for anything other than gaming, then Nvidia is the way to go

Impressed with the 4070 FE so far. Benches about 20% higher than my 3070ti, runs way cooler/quieter with less power draw and at 1440p it feels generally smoother I assume thanks to the higher 1% lows.

Luckily sold my 3070ti a few weeks before 4070 launch so was pretty much a straight swap. I’d began noticing 8GB vram maxing out in a lot of games, so far touch wood the 12GB has been sufficient for 1440p/120+

To be honest if I can get 2-3 years out of it I’ll be pretty happy.

It sucks paying £600 for a mid range card that is already slightly gimped out the box, luckily second hand GPUs are still holding decent value so upgrades are way less painful.

The only other worthwhile option I feel is the 7900XT, however I’m not sure the difference at 1440p is justifying the jump in price. Also I really like DLSS, my old eyes hardly notice any difference in picture quality so it feels like free fps!

Looking at where other cards land it should do though it looks like the game likes bandwidth with the 3080 10gb almost matching a 4070ti.

Don't think you need DLSS3 with even cards like a 3070 pretty much maxing the frame rate.

Screenshot-541.png
Sweet, was searching for something like this thanks!

Looks like it’s really cpu heavy actually, which explains why my performance wasn’t silky smooth on the 3070ti.

My old 8700k is next on the upgrade list… along with mobo and ram.

Yes, but Ross Thomson has 1,682 posts, so its not a post requirement.
If you go to the top-right of the forum and you will see the "Free Shipping for Loyal Forum Members - CLICK HERE"

On the post it clearly state:
"FREE SHIPPING - for loyal OcUK forum members only

WHO QUALIFIES

This offer applies to
  • OcUK Forums members who have 250 or more posts and have been registered for over 90 days, or
  • OcUK Forums members who have been registered for over 12 months and made at least 100 posts"
So yea you have met the requirement of registered for over 12 months, but not yet met the requirement of 100 posts

After you reach the required post, you would then need to link your account on the OcUK website to the your forum account to enable the free shipping option.

Just curious, has anyone purchased one of these RTX 4070 now? If so what's the experience like - particularly 4K? Any maxing out of the graphics memory? Currently I've a 1080 with 8GB and whilst I can play most games that I have in my arsenal fine I have started to see maxing out of that 8GB on one or two games. I'm typically playing games that are 3+ years old admittedly!

Sweet, was searching for something like this thanks!

Looks like it’s really cpu heavy actually, which explains why my performance wasn’t silky smooth on the 3070ti.

My old 8700k is next on the upgrade list… along with mobo and ram.

I am surprised you didn't realise this as D3 was quite CPU heavy during battles with large mobs. I would have upgraded the CPU first,which generally is the first port of call for many Blizzard games in my experience.

Just curious, has anyone purchased one of these RTX 4070 now? If so what's the experience like - particularly 4K? Any maxing out of the graphics memory? Currently I've a 1080 with 8GB and whilst I can play most games that I have in my arsenal fine I have started to see maxing out of that 8GB on one or two games. I'm typically playing games that are 3+ years old admittedly!

@RavenXXX2 has fresh input on this. :)

I think this makes it hard to defend low VRAM cards, the 12 gig 4070 is of course kind of medium, wedged in halfway between 8 gigs and 16 gigs, but wow what a great showcase of the problem from this HUB video.

Notice as well 6.3 gigs usage, not that close to the 8 gig capacity, showing that using that measurement is not a good way at all to decide if there is VRAM constraints.

The video itself also has lots of hitching/stalling when assets are been swapped in the game. Classic low VRAM behaviour.

--

Some other games were tested and he confirmed of course the game handles it automatically by not loading the proper textures, or if it doesnt games crashed. I think this video finally is showing the actual problems, and reviewers should update how they review cards in future when assessing VRAM. Dont leave benchmarks unattended e.g. as you have no idea whats going on.

KxdVgC6.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom