• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

RTX 4070 12GB, is it Worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well the last of us got a patch today and its vastly reduced the vram use, so all the drama over games needing lots of vram boils down to badly optimized ports to PC.
Who would have thought? A game requiring 3 times the amount of vram of Plague Tale Requiem while looking much worse is because of optimization? Totally comes out of the blue :D

Who would have thought? A game requiring 3 times the amount of vram of Plague Tale Requiem while looking much worse is because of optimization? Totally comes out of the blue :D
Well steve at hub was using it to show how 8gb is now doa, it now runs perfect on 8gb cards. All that drama for a broken game and clicks. If devs optimized their ****, 8gb will be fine for a few more years.

Well steve at hub was using it to show how 8gb is now doa, it now runs perfect on 8gb cards. All that drama for a broken game and clicks. If devs optimized their ****, 8gb will be fine for a few more years.
It's pretty easy to tell frankly. I tried TLOU at 720p with textures LOW, the game looks absolutely horrible and still required 7 gb of vram, thats 1-2gb more than plague tale requires at 4k ultra. So yeah, it's so obvious it's down to optimization that I never understood what the whole fuss was about. And it doesn't just hog vram, my CPU utilization was approaching 100%, that's on a 16 core CPU. Hmm,, seems legit....

Last edited:
It's pretty easy to tell frankly. I tried TLOU at 720p with textures LOW, the game looks absolutely horrible and still required 7 gb of vram, thats 1-2gb more than plague tale requires at 4k ultra. So yeah, it's so obvious it's down to optimization that I never understood what the whole fuss was about. And it doesn't just hog vram, my CPU utilization was approaching 100%, that's on a 16 core CPU. Hmm,, seems legit....
They are optimised though. Developers have only just started to release games that are built first and foremost around the new consoles and their larger memory pool, older games would have been designed to work on old platforms with less memory which when ported to the PC worked just fine with 8Gb cards (bear in min PC's generally aren't as efficient with utilising resources so it needs more of everything).

Make no mistake this is all down to one hardware vendor who have made the conscious decision to build products with planned obsolescence just so you all go out again and buy the latest gear which will just about get you through the next couple of years until it's time for another upgrade.

Last edited:
Biggest concern vram wise is still after the pro/faster versions of the current consoles come out as id be stunned if they didnt have more vram/RAM to play with than the current ones.

That usage will naturally just stay there on ports to PC when using high settings/resolutions.

Last edited:
They are optimised though. Developers have only just started to release games that are built first and foremost around the new consoles and their larger memory pool, older games would have been designed to work on old platforms with less memory which when ported to the PC worked just fine with 8Gb cards (bear in min PC's generally aren't as efficient with utilising resources so it needs more of everything).

Make no mistake this is all down to one hardware vendor who have made the conscious decision to build products with planned obsolescence just so you all go out again and buy the latest gear which will just about get you through the next couple of years until it's time for another upgrade.
But these games also run poorly on the console as well.. Forspoken dropped to 720p on the ps5.

Saying that games require more vram cause they are buillt for the new consoles would make sense if these games looked better. They don't. They look worse. Are you suggesting that new consoles use more vram for worse visuals?

Cute.Look at the latest Star Wars game and its more than 16gb of vram used. Guess both were/are using planned obsolescence outside of the very top :cry:

I see the 4070FE is still in stock - these should be flying off the the shelves, I doubt it is because of large volumes of them being in stock. nVidia really aren't doing anyone any favours including themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom