• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

RTX 4070 12GB, is it Worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The consoles may have 16 gig of RAM GDDR6. However, isn't some of this utilised for other resources, like interface and apps?

Also, Jedi Survivor is so badly optimised (21 gig VRAM usage on RTX 4090, at 4k) that if the PC build was to run on say the PS5, the PS5 would be about 5 or more gig short on VRAM!

Which tells me that yet another port from console to PC is broken...Like Cyberpunk 2077 (when released), and others.

The Dev's then make the excuse by saying PC GPU's with 8 gig are not optimal, when in fact it is ineptitude/rushing product design to get the games out of the door for console. PC's have ample RAM. If they wanted they could shove the slower background textures on system RAM...Or use other tricks to get around GPU VRAM limitations.

The consoles may have 16 gig of RAM GDDR6. However, isn't some of this utilised for other resources, like interface and apps?

Also, Jedi Survivor is so badly optimised (21 gig VRAM usage on RTX 4090, at 4k) that if the PC build was to run on say the PS5, the PS5 would be about 5 or more gig short on VRAM!

Which tells me that yet another port from console to PC is broken...Like Cyberpunk 2077 (when released), and others.

The Dev's then make the excuse by saying PC GPU's with 8 gig are not optimal, when in fact it is ineptitude/rushing product design to get the games out of the door for console. PC's have ample RAM. If they wanted they could shove the slower background textures on system RAM...Or use other tricks to get around GPU VRAM limitations.
afaik consoles use unified memory so its just a pool for anything

I see the 4070FE is still in stock - these should be flying off the the shelves, I doubt it is because of large volumes of them being in stock. nVidia really aren't doing anyone any favours including themselves.
Is just too expensive, regardless of vram. Even if it had 32gb if would have been too expensive.

Xbox series x has about 10gb fast ram@560gb/s while the rest is slower. So I guess 10gb would be preferred for graphics.

Series S only has 8gb available to devs (for graphics and game logic), at 224gb/s and 2gb@56gb/s for os.

So while games devs CAN and SHOULD use 8gb for BOTH graphics and running the game on a next gen console, apparently, their "next gen" creations need more than 8gb vram alone (for graphics on PCs.

Basically is lazy, rushed to the market work. We should boycott this types of situations like any other anticonsumer action.

Last edited:

Is it badly optimised or is it actually making the best use of all the available VRAM so is doing as designed.
ie if its got 24gb VRAM then it uses it better so its actually optimised better.

Has that ever been thought about. Two sides to the same coin.

Damn, i'm sure you guys already talked about it to death, but i just saw 3 cards here on Overclockers hit a low of £559, that's insane so quickly after release. I might get a little nervous if it gets close to my £500 limit and i have to get one!

At a fair bit lower price I might be tempted as an intermediate upgrade - for most stuff my 3070 does fine but I do a small amount of 4K gaming where the 3070 could still cope core wise but hits around 10GB VRAM use - most other scenarios either the core would be the bottleneck first (I don't really do much gaming at 4K) or it fits within 8GB fine.

My next major upgrade though despite that will be a 16GB card.

Is it badly optimised or is it actually making the best use of all the available VRAM so is doing as designed.
ie if its got 24gb VRAM then it uses it better so its actually optimised better.

Has that ever been thought about. Two sides to the same coin

That is a fair point, unfortunately in this instance it appears the quality just isn't there for the resources being used, and is indeed yet another bad port.

Damn, i'm sure you guys already talked about it to death, but i just saw 3 cards here on Overclockers hit a low of £559, that's insane so quickly after release. I might get a little nervous if it gets close to my £500 limit and i have to get one!

They are going up!

The Gainward Ghost was £549 for a while!

Last edited:

No its not shared with the operating system or apps. The Playstation 5 has 16GB of GDDR6 memory and 512MB of DDR4 memory. The OS and all apps run ONLY on the 512MB DDR4 section.
Only games have access to the 16GB GDDR6

Last edited:
No i didn't say at least 16GB.
Fair enough. Hopefully Rust won't need more than 12GB soon :p
No its not shared with the operating system or apps. The Playstation 5 has 16GB of GDDR6 memory and 512MB of DDR4 memory. The OS and all apps run ONLY on the 512MB DDR4 section.
Only games have access to the 16GB GDDR6
And Xbox S has only 8GB vRAM + 2GB slow for OS. That 8GB has to contain graphics and game logic.

How can you talk about performance of the card (or any card), if is worth it or not, if you're not talking about one (if not the major) factor that can influence that, especially when we already see games eat up more than 16GB at only 1440p? :)

Even the talks about one team vs another still is a talk about the major landscape, how things are in general, what's wroth to buy and what not...

Anyway, we're going in circles over and over again, finding excuses game devs, for graphic cards makers and so on. At the end of the day we, as consumers, are getting less then ideal products, both hardware and software. :(

That's ruff, poor xboxers, they'll be running games at 720p soon
That's the weakest link for "next gen" consoles. Any multiplatform game will have to run on that, so it should have decent support and at the same time.... limited by that :) . Ergo, it should have decent support on PC. Of course, if the devs bother.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom