• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

RTX 4070 12GB, is it Worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
All of this would be solved if Nvidia didn't try upselling the RTX3060 replacement as the RTX4070TI,and then not add a few dollars of VRAM more.

For instance if the RTX4070TI was the same price as the overpriced RTX3070TI(which was barely faster than the RTX3070 for $100 more),it would have been 45% faster than an RTX3070TI and had 12GB of VRAM. But even then price progression over the RTX3070 would mean it came with a 20% price increase. But they could have still spun it and managed to essentially double the price of the RTX3060 replacement. But it shows how poor that the positioning of this range is - worse than something Apple would do and shows the contempt they have for PCMR.

Agree, but we are also witnessing upgraders jumping to a newer/better model yet referencing their old model which was supposed to have no issues right?

Don't it seem odd though that the 4070 shader count is the same while the 4090 has a 60% increase for the same +$100 premium.

It just highlights users being selective with their information.

You would think the relatively tight amounts of vram on the 4000 series compared to AMD would swing a percentage of sales towards AMD.

Plus you get more raw performance at the same price point with Radeon. (From benchmarks I saw yesterday)

However Nvidia clearly feel no pressure as prices on the 4000 series remain at their elevated levels.

Last edited:
£469 got you 67% of the 3090 performance last gen, yet this gen your paying £600 for just 50% of the performance. So your paying more for less.
That is still a flawed comparison. Last years 3090 was pretty bad in terms of performance compared to this years 4090. Again, your argument leads to the fact that - if the 4090 wasn't as fast as it is - that would automatically make the 4070 a better product than it is.

Nvidia has better upscaling, RT, frame gen, and vastly superior software support in apps, nevermind its huge brand pull. Some of the reasons radeon is in single digit market share.

If they wanted to gain more consumers, they would stop piggybacking the market leader with inferior features and undercut them by a big margin. Nvidia is under no pressure to reduce prices when its main competitor has no interest in competing.

You would think the relatively tight amounts of vram on the 4000 series compared to AMD would swing a percentage of sales towards AMD.

Plus you get more raw performance at the same price point with Radeon. (From benchmarks I saw yesterday)

However Nvidia clearly feel no pressure as prices on the 4000 series remain at their elevated levels.

Last edited:
Nvidia has better upscaling, RT, frame gen, and vasty superior software support in apps, nevermind its huge brand pull. Some of the reasons radeon is in single digit market share.

If they wanted to gain more consumers, they would stop piggybacking the market leader with inferior features and undercut them by a big margin. Nvidia is under no pressure to reduce prices when its main competitor has no interest in competing.
I don't believe for a second that Radeon only has single digit market share. The 6000 series is selling like hot cakes at the moment due to the price cuts.

I don't believe for a second that Radeon only has single digit market share. The 6000 series is selling like hot cakes at the moment due to the price cuts.
People are still parroting those Jon Peddie Research numbers from a while back, despite them being shipment figures for a single quarter (not sales), during a time when AMD admitted they'd been undershipping (which people got mad about then apparently forgot), as if they're an accurate representation of install base. They were also being used to point to how well Arc was doing, only for JPR to later admit they'd counted Intel GPUs inside supercomputers by accident and that their slice of the pie hadn't actually increased at all.

Last edited:
Even if AMD were not in single digits though, they are still under 20% imo which is very sad to see, but not surprising.

If that is to improve they either need to improve things like FSR and RT or cut prices to make the cards more competitive.

In my opinion the 7900XT only looks good because how stupid the 4070 Ti and 4080 are priced. Not because it actually priced well.

People are still parroting those Jon Peddie Research numbers from a while back, despite them being shipment figures for a single quarter (not sales), during a time when AMD admitted they'd been undershipping (which people got mad about then apparently forgot), as if they're an accurate representation of install base. They were also being used to point to how well Arc was doing, only for JPR to later admit they'd counted Intel GPUs inside supercomputers by accident and that their slice of the pie hadn't actually increased at all.
Jon Peddie himself from JPR in an MS Teams chat with Tom (MLID) said, with a completely straight face and such authority as if to say "How can this not be obvious" that people will buy Intel GPU's on mass just because its Intel, that Intel will take AMD's marketshare just because its Intel.

This is the same company that counts Intel CPU's as "GPU's" in gaming graphics marketshare because they have iGPU's, but wont count gaming consoles.

I don't know if these people are trying to drive an agenda due to their own vested interests or if they are so deluded that they just don't bother to check the data properly. Because of course whatever Intel say or just on the face of it its right because Intel can do anything, look how well the i5 2500K did, see.....

Last edited:
Intel are a mere shadow of what they used to be, these day's AMD are more Goliath to the David that is Intel.

That should be obvious to anyone even remotely analytical to this segment, never mind thie proclaimed "Experts" I think there are some very sour people with very comfortable retirement plans ruined by David, and some of them are tech journalists.

Last edited:
Yet the memory bus has been crippled. The 4070 is the first 70-class card in history to have less than a 256-bit bus. You know, if we're sticking to (non-selective) facts here.
That is not relevent in this case, because the total memory bandwidth is higher than the RTX 3070, which used GDDR6 VRAM, rather than GDDR6X used in RTX 4000 series cards.

Last edited:
That is not relevent in this case, because the total memory bandwidth is higher than the RTX 3070, which used GDDR6 VRAM, rather than GDDR6X used in RTX 4000 series cards.

He's not wrong...

RTX 3070: 448GB/s
RTX 4070: 504GB/s

And that's all that matters, it can have a narrower bus but much faster Memory IC's, if the result is a higher Memory bandwidth (Gigabytes Per Second) then its faster.

Last edited:
yeah, tbf it stands up less well in memory bandwidth vs the RTX 3070 TI (FE) which had a memory bandwidth of 608 GB/s, but that was priced at £525 anyway...

and was crippled somewhat by 8GB capacity. I'd rather have lots of GDDR6, e.g. 16GB.

Last edited:
In my opinion the 7900XT only looks good because how stupid the 4070 Ti and 4080 are priced. Not because it actually priced well.
Spec wise I like this card, doesn't skimp on anything really, and we see that in the performance.

But the new prices still suck.

AMD + TSMC need to produce lots more, but have apparently struggled to do so.

Last edited:
Pulled the trigger on the FE. Seems to be the most solid at msrp, tends to be top of benchmarks too and it’s tiny which is cool. Plus the FE cooler is reliable in my experience and aesthetically tasty.

Was planning to wait till summer and grab a 7900xt under £700 but I’ll be mainly playing Diablo 4 and DLSS3 looks too good to pass up.

Playing 1440/165hz but with gsync anything over 100 feels solid and I hope this card can achieve that despite the limited vram.
The graphical artifacts in a game like Diablo 4 with frame gen is going to probably be HORRIBLE, given the amount going on all at the same time on screen with many bright colours, not to mention its an action RPG, meaning you interact with spells and hotkeys a lot and movement, the reduced latency is going to SUCK hard. Why bother when a decent gpu can get you high fps anyways, or just use DLSS2/FSR2, no need for silly DLSS3/fake frames. Oh and that game LOVES Vram btw, so Id go with the 7900xt 100% if that was your main game, much more longevity and probably more performance over time in the drivers.

Last edited:

They are still indicative numbers though, which can be combined with other sources (Steam, etc.) to get a reasonably accurate picture.

12GB is fine for now but until a few months ago everybody thought 8GB was.

If you are looking for a GPU, to keep for the long term, meaning 5 years +, then 16GB really should be the minimum VRAM to aim for.
If you upgrade your GPU every generation then 12GB is more than fine.
AMD cards are already using over 15GB of vram, https://youtu.be/ddyxpThjj5k?t=667
The 4070 will be ok with reduced settings & dlss/fsr for years, the thing is how many people want to spend around £600 and play at reduced settings. I suspect that is part of why the 4070 is a slow seller. That and many people bought 3000/6000 series and don't see it as a great upgrade for the price

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom