• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

RTX 4070 12GB, is it Worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Simply do not get it" is not an argument. I can say the same to you. The problem with the 4070 underdelivering is not the die size, that is pretty much a fact, your opinion on the matter is irrelevant. Performance depends entirely on transistor count, not on die size.

The problem with the card is that they chocked it with the memory bus, so they had to use a big part of that die for cache to alleviate the problem. The whole ada lineup is bandwidth starved, even the 4090.
No friend, you DO NOT GET IT.

The problem with the 4070 is its NOT a 70 class GPU, its meant to be a 4060. Nvidia fudged the whole line up, even the 4090 die, around 14% cut down LOL for a £1600 GPU.

The true 4070ti is being sold for £1200, with a HUGE gap of space and performance between that to slot in a true 4080 and 4080ti, especially if they did not CUT DOWN the 4090 so much, even room in there for a 4090ti......

Like I said, this IS ABOUT DIE SIZE, not tranistor count, tranistor count being UP is just an easy way for them to cut die size, give you a lower tier GPU while still offering same price/performance as last gen, while increasing their profits MASSIVELY.

The only people gaining from the jump from Samsung to TSMC is Nvidia, its THAT SIMPLE.

The problem with the 4070 is its NOT a 70 class GPU, its meant to be a 4060. Nvidia fudged the whole line up, even the 4090 die, around 14% cut down LOL for a £1600 GPU.

The true 4070ti is being sold for £1200, with a HUGE gap of space and performance between that to slot in a true 4080 and 4080ti, especially if they did not CUT DOWN the 4090 so much, even room in there for a 4090ti......

Like I said, this IS ABOUT DIE SIZE, not tranistor count, tranistor count being UP is just an easy way for them to cut die size, give you a lower tier GPU while still offering same price/performance as last gen, while increasing their profits MASSIVELY.

The only people gaining from the jump from Samsung to TSMC is Nvidia, its THAT SIMPLE.

Also because Nvidia is using smaller dGPUs down the range,the transistor jump at the top is the biggest,and it gets worse as you go down the range. Hence,this is why the performance improvement is getting worse as you go down the range.

It's also to look at simple metrics such as percentage shaders vs the top end die.

The RTX4070 is more akin to the RTX3060 even in this regard.

Last edited:

No friend, YOU do not get it. In what sense is the 4070 not a 70 class GPU? It's the only 70 class in history that packs more transistors than the previous flagship. The 3070 packed less transistors than the 2080ti, while the 4070 packs more than the 3090. So yeah, I guess you are right, it should be named 4080.

Die size is irrelevant. Die size does NOT give you performance, transistors do. That's just a fact, your opinion does not matter. You want a bigger die so you can pack more transistors - the 4070 already has a truckload of transistors, so die size is not 4070s problem. Again, that's just a fact.

The 4090 is cut down huh? It packs 250% more transistors than the 3090ti, lol. That has never happened before in the history of GPUs. The 3090ti in comparison only had 60% more transistors than the 2080ti. The 4090 has two hundred and fifty freaking percent. But sure, it's cut down :D :D

It's also to look at simple metrics such as percentage shaders vs the top end die.
And looking at that metric is flawed. It's simple logic really, I don't get how you guys miss it. So if the top end die was tiny this time around, would that mean the 4070 would suddenly be a great card just because it would have a high % compared to the top end die? Of course not, it would still suck. Therefore your metric is flawed.

I know you are a pro troll, but you do know that the count is inflated simply because of the on-chip cache, right?
I know you are a pro troll, isn't that exactly what I said 2 posts ago? That teh 4070's problem is the cut down memory bus that lead to a huge increase in cache size? Uhm....yeah, that's exactly what I said. Oh well

I know you are a pro troll, isn't that exactly what I said 2 posts ago? That teh 4070's problem is the cut down memory bus that lead to a huge increase in cache size? Uhm....yeah, that's exactly what I said. Oh well
Adding you to ignore mate, you are just clueless but evidently very much an experienced troll. Cio, adios, byeeeeeeeeeeeee.

Does anyone think a 4070 FE is a worthwhile temp upgrade over a 3060ti? I can't find any solid comparisons as one vid to the next there's massive variations making me think the testing is flawed (perhaps intentionally).

You either do not have a clue or are trolling hard...

Pick one.

I think in this rare case its both.

Does anyone think a 4070 FE is a worthwhile temp upgrade over a 3060ti? I can't find any solid comparisons as one vid to the next there's massive variations making me think the testing is flawed (perhaps intentionally).

No.

Blinded loyalty I will never understand , it's clear to see how they are shafting us look at the pricing and performance increase from previous years , both AMD and Nvidia are doing it only AMD is following behind

Last edited:
I would say, the 3060ti is a solid card, ask youself this the most, what 2-3 games are you going to play the most in the next 6-12 months, and at what resolution?.

If you are gaming at 1440p, the 3060ti will smash it just fine as long as you also have a decent CPU, just dial settings down to medium and the 3060ti will be totally fine with demaning games.

IMO, in the next 6-12 months we will see massive price reductions and/or a Nvidia refreshed super line up or simliar, making the previous price performance look STUPID just like with Turing and its refresh, I think if you bought a 4070 now as a stop gap you will have big time buyers remorse.

Last edited:
Lol, okay that answers that then. I'll struggle on for now. My PC upgrade budget is/was over 3k, but think I'll use it towards repointing the house and buy some new dining furniture!

I'm playing at 1440p UW and still have my 5800x, so not cutting edge at this stage...

Last edited:

For me yes, will do me until the 5000 series. I went from the 3060ti and for me at 4K it's a night and day difference.

Vid here, up to 50% faster in some games at 1440p. Frame gen also included.

Lol, okay that answers that then. I'll struggle on for now. My PC upgrade budget is/was over 3k, but think I'll use it towards repointing the house and buy some new dining furniture!

I'm playing at 1440p UW and still have my 5800x, so not cutting edge at this stage...
Mate, if I can make do with a heavily overclocked gtx 1060 6gb, you can manage trust me....

The real way to get around it, is just pick and choose your games wisely. I was feeling so tempted/forced to buy a new GPU now for the release of Diablo 4, but you know what, I played the beta A LOT, and by turning textures down to medium and putting FSR2 on balanced, I was running butter smooth like 70-90 FPS mostly, never dropping below 60fps even at 1440p, and the game looked stunning even still!

So now I don't feel forced to upgrade and I am happy to make Nvidia/AMD work MUCH harder for me to upgrade, because when I do, I am spending £650-£850, BUT I need to see serious PROGRESS and VALUE for money in terms of price performance @ that price tier, where as right now I see NO improvement at all and skimped VRAM being given for the money, so its a pass from me.

I will pick and choose my games, I have a huge catalogue waiting to be played, currently waiting for Diablo 4, but Borderlands 3, Overwatch 2 and DeadByDaylight all run perfectly and keep me happy, just adjust your gaming habits when your hardware is a little behind and you are golden. Just my 2c.

I have an RTX3060TI FE too,and you are getting just above 40% improvement for £200 more. The RTX3060TI FE was around 40% faster than an RTX2060 Super for similar money.

No friend, YOU do not get it. In what sense is the 4070 not a 70 class GPU? It's the only 70 class in history that packs more transistors than the previous flagship. The 3070 packed less transistors than the 2080ti, while the 4070 packs more than the 3090. So yeah, I guess you are right, it should be named 4080.

Die size is irrelevant. Die size does NOT give you performance, transistors do. That's just a fact, your opinion does not matter. You want a bigger die so you can pack more transistors - the 4070 already has a truckload of transistors, so die size is not 4070s problem. Again, that's just a fact.

The 4090 is cut down huh? It packs 250% more transistors than the 3090ti, lol. That has never happened before in the history of GPUs. The 3090ti in comparison only had 60% more transistors than the 2080ti. The 4090 has two hundred and fifty freaking percent. But sure, it's cut down :D :D
It doesn't have more transistors than a 3090ti as only 227mm2 of the 295mm2 die is in use so 27b transistors and some of that is being taken up with the cache so it likely has only has 22b or less which is why the performance sucks.

Last edited:
And that's relevant how?
IDK you tell me, you were the one who equated size to transistor count rather than, you know, the actual size.
It's the only 70 class in history that packs more transistors than the previous flagship.
V-NAND has more transistors, does that make it better in your eyes than a 4070.

Last edited:
The real way to get around it, is just pick and choose your games wisely. I was feeling so tempted/forced to buy a new GPU now for the release of Diablo 4, but you know what, I played the beta A LOT, and by turning textures down to medium and putting FSR2 on balanced, I was running butter smooth like 70-90 FPS mostly, never dropping below 60fps even at 1440p, and the game looked stunning even still!

So now I don't feel forced to upgrade and I am happy to make Nvidia/AMD work MUCH harder for me to upgrade, because when I do, I am spending £650-£850, BUT I need to see serious PROGRESS and VALUE for money in terms of price performance @ that price tier, where as right now I see NO improvement at all and skimped VRAM being given for the money, so its a pass from me.

Reminder: Also Jensen circa 2011:-

“We started a company and the business plan basically read something like this,” stated the Nvidia CEO. “We are going to take technology that is only available only in the most expensive workstations. We’re going… to try and reinvent the technology and make it inexpensive.”

There are people who defended Turing V1 on here too and those who waited got a better deal in Turing V2. With all the problems in the PC market and general economy,it is a buyers market for those who have the money. PCMR needs to dispel the Pandemic/Mining indused madness in prices we got stuck with,and stop being so weak willed. If these companies wan't to price fix things between themselves let the stock rot on the shelves.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom