• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

RTX 4070 12GB, is it Worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
He wanted 3080 performance when the 3080 cane out. Why would anyone accept 3080 performance for £600 now, 2 years later?
Apart from its not 3080 performance, it has more vram, dlss3 and uses much less power, which means its cost over a life time is much less, https://youtu.be/uZHDq-LEGzw?t=1238
When Nvidia/AMD move to a new better node process they can decide how much of that node they use to boost performance & how much is to reduce power. It presents from this thread that most people would have wanted more of a performance boost and less of a reduction in power usage, however, for me I am pleased to see such a big reduction in power usage.
It could be argued that the 4070 as designed would suit miners better than gamers because of the increase in power efficiency, but that is another argument. However, reducing power consumption over millions of gpus going forward is better for the planet at this current time when we are not carbon neutral.

e.g

5nm

TSMC 5nm Node uses EUV and improves logic density by 1.8x compared to 7nm. For SRAM, the density is 1.3x higher. Just like the 7nm Node, 5nm will have two variants with one optimized for Mobile and other for HPC. The mobile node will allow 15% higher performance or 30% lower power consumption. The HPC variant will instead offer 25% higher performance over 7nm.

Apple’s A14 Chip in 2020 will likely utilize the 5nm Mobile Node while AMD’s Zen 4 could utilize the 5nm HPC node in 2021.

Last edited:
Apart from its not 3080 performance, it has more vram, dlss3 and uses much less power, which means its cost over a life time is much less, https://youtu.be/uZHDq-LEGzw?t=1238
When Nvidia/AMD move to a new better node process they can decide how much of that node they use to boost performance & how much is to reduce power. It presents from this thread that most people would have wanted more of a performance boost and less of a reduction in power usage, however, for me I am pleased to see such a big reduction in power usage.
It could be argued that the 4070 as designed would suit miners better than gamers because of the increase in power efficiency, but that is another argument. However, reducing power consumption over millions of gpus going forward is better for the planet at this current time when we are not carbon neutral.

Most new generations, which aren't just a refresh, will perform better at the same power use.

Most new generations, which aren't just a refresh, will perform better at the same power use.
So Nvidia seems to have gone much more for the same performance at lower energy usage (plus a slightly lower price) https://youtu.be/uZHDq-LEGzw?t=1242
The 4070 has roughly the same performance as the 3080 but uses much less power

This is supported in the 4000 series design being nearer than the 3000 series was to the AMD 6000 series, which had a smaller bus and infinity cache to help lower power usage https://www.pcgamer.com/amd-infinity-cache-rx-6800-xt-rx-6800-rdna-2/

Last edited:
It’s an expensive card giving 3080 performance years later at the same price. No excuses change this fact.

It is essentially 4060ti territory performance at 3080 prices.

nvidia desperately trying to hang on to the ridiculous GPU prices post crypto crash.

Oh and very few people should care about “cost over lifetime”. I mean seriously that crap is straight out of nvidias marketing department. It is only relevant IF the performance is there in the first place.

The 4070 is a dud.

That's not really anything special each new generation tend to be efficient over the previous, £589 ? For something it's matching 2.5 years later that cost £650 ? Isn't that impressive , the cheek of it is they ain't even matching 3070 price when it's basically 4060ti

Last edited:
Yeah it's 3080 performance on average, more Vram. Roff and cat would love a 4070 but they don't want to pay Jensens asking price, that's all well and good but moaning on about it is not going to make Jensen give hand outs. I mean this thread has over 3K posts over a card that's not worth it lol.

Oo6JMX0.png

lEf1MgL.png

I upgraded from a 3060ti, I'm more than happy with that performance leap and the extra Vram and it's not costing upwards of a grand. Fact is if you are on an 8GB card and don't want to go used and pay nearly a grand for the ti with the same memory config, then there is only one geforce in town.

Last edited:
It’s an expensive card giving 3080 performance years later at the same price. No excuses change this fact...It is essentially 4060ti territory performance at 3080 prices.

Oh and very few people should care about “cost over lifetime”. I mean seriously that crap is straight out of nvidias marketing department. It is only relevant IF the performance is there in the first place.

This. As we touched on @CAT-THE-FIFTH suddenly the power efficiency card is a major feature, complete joke of a card to play when the package doesnt look so attractive I would say!

At £499 like the 3070 its a different story.

Last edited:
Steve of Hub give it a 90 score, loved it.

Facts below, the current market is screwed up so you either go with the flow or set up a resistance in a hope that the likes of AMD and nvidia cave in next time with better price to performance.

Given the current market, the GeForce RTX 4070 happens to be a rather good deal and it's certainly much closer to an acceptable price tag than any other current generation GPU release so far. We're talking Radeon 6800 XT / GeForce RTX 3080 levels of performance for $600 - not exactly mind-blowing stuff after about two and a half years - but it's a $50 to $100 discount when comparing launch MSRP pricing and it's not like the crypto bubble didn't happen.

Last edited:
That's not really anything special each new generation tend to be efficient over the previous, £589 ? For something it's matching 2.5 years later that cost £650 ? Isn't that impressive , the cheek of it is they ain't even matching 3070 price when it's basically 4060ti
Actually that's not true the Nvidia 480 was called out as being a real power hog but it used less power than the 3080,

So at least some of the media and gamers seem to be changing the goal posts on power, the Nvidia 480 was a power hog at 223watt average but the 3080 is ok at 303watt average.
From Techpowerup, "The previous months have been full of speculation that NVIDIA's GF100 is a power hog, and based on my measurements this seems to be "not wrong"."

The 4070 has reduced power back down towards the 480 which was still considered a power hog back in the day

Last edited:
You'll have to factor in the performance uplift and I suspect it's gonna be massive
I did, I factored in that the 4070 has a massive efficiency gain of performance per watt over the 3080. That it draws much less power than the 3080 which is better for both gamers wallets and the planet. The fact is that IMO the power usage on the 3080 was unacceptable, one reason I was happy with the 6800 performance against the 3080

Last edited:
I did, I factored in that the 4070 has a massive efficiency gain of performance per watt over the 3080. That it draws much less power than the 3080 which is better for both gamers wallets and the planet
Most people only mention electricity costs when it comes to power draw, but yeah, in general wasting electricity (or anything for that matter) is just...wasteful. With that said - i think the 4070ti should have been at 599 instead of the normal 4070.

I did, I factored in that the 4070 has a massive efficiency gain of performance per watt over the 3080. That it draws much less power than the 3080 which is better for both gamers wallets and the planet

I'm looking at the overall package and just being more efficient doesn't cut it so I should over pay Nvidia because they are doing it to save the planet?

The performance for the cost is crap not only at best should be 4060ti but they also added £100 to the 3070 double shafted

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom