• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

RTX 4070 12GB, is it Worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Totally agree with everything you're saying, I'm just impatient and have the money to drop now. Doesn't help that the 3060ti was never the card I wanted, I was after the 3080FE, but never managed to get one even with the telegram reminders etc... had I managed to get one this gen wouldn't have even been a consideration to be honest.

I try to target 144fps which my screen refreshes at, but generally happy worth anything over 100fps, so I'll just turn settings down to achieve it and hold out. This gen is such a massive let down, I was going to go AMD this round despite bad experiences with them, but their pricing was just as bad if not worse. All in all an absolute **** show from both red and green... save us Intel!
IMO you have 2 options,
1. turn down the settings in more demanding games and use dlss/fsr when available to still get enjoyable game play.
2. As TNA highlighted earlier 3000 series cards can sell for good money 2nd hand and this can be used towards a new 4070. So if you don't mind the hassle to sell on your 3060ti you can get the 3080 performance that you wanted from the 4070 with the benefits of 2GB vram extra & lower power draw, plus the new warranty
e.g. I saw a 3060ti FE sell for £320 lately, so only a £60 loss on the gpu. £589 for a new 4070, plus £60 loss = £649, so that person could have enjoyed the 3060ti for a couple of years with warranty and traded up to 4070 for around the initial cost people were paying for a 3080

Last edited:
Reactions: TNA
I would go one step further and the sickness is so embedded we get people gloating how their purchase was so much better as the price they got it for was superior to someone else's. They are still part of the ecosystem but cannot see it. Confirmation when offloading for gains, so you get sub scalping between gamers. This fuels the disease as they get another one, contributing to the planned obsolescence. Only winner here is the brand.
I remember some of us encouraging people not to overspend on gpus for gaming and sharing our experience of how prices came down after the last mining boom, eg I encouraged someone who was considering returning their £1300 6900xt to do so.
You can now buy one for half the price that they paid, https://www.overclockers.co.uk/asro...ddr6-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-00n-ak.html
The difference they paid would cover a good psu to run it on & many hours electricity bill.
I have also shared how I buy end of life gpus to keep costs down. A 6600 at £200 and a 6500xt at £250 are now much better deals and how much lower are they likely to go? Personally if I wanted an esports gpu I would grab a 6600 now.
There will always be people who are happy to pay over MRSP and those who wait for cheaper prices

Last edited:
It was, back when the post was made, since back then the 7900xt was much more expensive. Now the 7900xt is much cheaper therefore it is the better buy. It only seems reasonable to change my opinion when...prices change, right?

If you keep some consistency - then price right now is key. However at the time nobody unless the ardent of fanboys thought the Ada generation was good value whatever way people spun it. The only price drops after them launches was due to the $ conversion changes globally, which skewed the mindset. We are only seeing some discounts now because they are not shifting many units which speaks for itself really.

If you keep some consistency - then price right now is key. However at the time nobody unless the ardent of fanboys thought the Ada generation was good value whatever way people spun it. The only price drops after them launches was due to the $ conversion changes globally, which skewed the mindset. We are only seeing some discounts now because they are not shifting many units which speaks for itself really.
Actually im insanely consistent. You can check the very thread you linked. That was 3-4 months ago, and I was saying the exact same thing im saying today.. That if the 7900xt matches / is cheaper than the 4070ti, then it would be the better deal. Well, now it is priced cheaper, so yeah, it is the better deal. I never actually said the 4070ti was good value, I said it is the best value out of all new cards. Which was factually true. Problem is people have a habit of misintrepenting my posts, usually they just ignore half the sentence and just stick to the part that sparks their interest..

I mean you can see it in this very thread, I said the 4070 sucks 5 times by now, and people are claiming im brainwashed because im defending nvidia. While im calling their product crap. Repeatedly. :D

Well that applies to every card though. Any card given a bigger die could be faster. I'm saying, a card with the die size / density of the 4070 should have been much much faster, so clearly the die isn't the issue. They just massively cut down the bandwidth. I'm not sure on what the huge amounts of cache accomplish besides fixing the bandwidth issue. Does it have any specific use case for path tracing and FG? Maybe, in which case nvidia was "forced" to put huge caches. I've no clue.

But bottomline is, the 4070 is very mediocre in performance. It looks good against the competition, but that's because the competition is amds gpu division. So yeah, not a great achievement.
Just the same size as last gen would have been fine, the 4090 got a similar size die for the $100 extra cost so the 4070 should have with the same $100 mark up.

The competition which is 2.5 year old GPUs and it cant even beat those on price or performance the only things it wins in is efficiency and features.

Well the whole lineup IMO has been overpriced, but I can let some sliding if they adjusted prices. Out of the gate it has been more expensive than the previous gen, but the elephant in the room has been Ampere prices never dropping below msrp. Hell even with mining disappearing ages ago; the time it took to go near to msrp has been a joke. Take a look at all the retailers listings.

The killer **** take has been marketing the products having a sku lower and asking for prices a tier higher. So no they were never good value nor the better deal. The better deal is to abstain for as long as possible.

The 4070 is NOT a tiny chip though. You measure chips in transistor count. If it was build in Samsung 8nm the 4070 would be much much bigger than the 3090ti. It is definitely, definitely not tiny. Quite the contrary. It's massive.
You often come up with some preposterous arguments but this one takes the cake.

IMO you have 2 options,
1. turn down the settings in more demanding games and use dlss/fsr when available to still get enjoyable game play.
2. As TNA highlighted earlier 3000 series cards can sell for good money 2nd hand and this can be used towards a new 4070. So if you don't mind the hassle to sell on your 3060ti you can get the 3080 performance that you wanted from the 4070 with the benefits of 2GB vram extra & lower power draw, plus the new warranty
e.g. I saw a 3060ti FE sell for £320 lately, so only a £60 loss on the gpu. £589 for a new 4070, plus £60 loss = £649, so that person could have enjoyed the 3060ti for a couple of years with warranty and traded up to 4070 for around the initial cost people were paying for a 3080

He wanted 3080 performance when the 3080 cane out. Why would anyone accept 3080 performance for £600 now, 2 years later?

He wanted 3080 performance when the 3080 cane out. Why would anyone accept 3080 performance for £600 now, 2 years later?

Well doh, either you buy a used 3080 for £500 with less vram or you pony up for the 4070 that has more features than a 3080, there are no other geforce options worthwhile under £600. The 3080 was like rocking horse poo to get for the majority of its release as well. A grand or more bar the FE model that went in seconds.

Well doh, either you buy a used 3080 for £500 with less vram or you pony up for the 4070 that has more features than a 3080, there are no other geforce options worthwhile under £600. The 3080 was like rocking horse poo to get for the majority of its release as well. A grand or more bar the FE model that went in seconds.
2 years ago you were mocking the 3060ti selling for £600+ yet now you seem happy to buy a 4060 for the same price?
629.99 ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti ROG Strix 8GB OC GPU

LOL

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom