• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

RX 590 performance

Caporegime
That AMD is bothering with 12nm Polaris suggests that there's quite a while to go yet before there is enough 7nm capacity to produce high volume GPUs (e.g. Navi). It is perhaps less business risk to bear the cost of a launch of RX 590 than it is to stand still with the current product line up until Navi is ready, especially as Nvidia's Pascal line-up is still selling really well.

It's not realistic to overclock an RX480 much above 1400MHz for normal use, and even then that's at a substantial bump in power draw and still well short of the RX590 stock boost clock.

this is what I said some time ago, and is clear from the messages AMD have been communicating. Vega 20 volume is not until next year. Navi is summer next year earliest, more likely late Q3/Q4.

For starters, nvidia released Turing on 12nm for a reason. There won't be volume 7nm for large does for at least 1 year. Nvidia are hugely influential partners of TSMC, the 12nm (optimized 16nm) is largely entirely due to Nvidia's requirements for Volta and oakridge

Associate
It looks to be a bigger upgrade from the RX 580 than that was from the RX480. However, from what I understand, its launch price is even higher than the RX 580 at $279. It's been 2.5 years since the RX 480 was released and it simply isn't good enough to just keep bumping the clocks and bumping the price. For reference, the 8 GiB RX 580 can be had for $189 in the US right now.

I suppose it's the best we can expect right now but man that is depressing.

Worse still the 480 offered a similar experience to the 290X which could be had for £240 in 2014.

Associate
Worse still the 480 offered a similar experience to the 290X which could be had for £240 in 2014.

TBF a 570 performs as well as a 290x for £158.

Guys there's various economic reasons for high prices

1. The pound is worth way less since Brexit. So we're paying 30% more for US produce today
2. Miners pushed up demand which pushes up the prices
3. Inflation. In the 90s consoles were between £60-£130 although an Amiga computer cost around £300.

And then technological

1. It's years old rehashed card
2. It's newly released so you'd imagine the prices will drop after the early adopters buy it. If someone offers it below £200 in a few months it'll be a great deal and realistically that may happen when the 2060 drops.
3. It could be graphical technology won't progress as quickly now. The next gen from both AMD and Nvidia will be telling. I've seen it theorised that the 20 series is a stop gap because of it's limited progress, we'll see if that's true or not.

Soldato
OP

Guys there's various economic reasons for high prices

1. The pound is worth way less since Brexit. So we're paying 30% more for US produce today
2. Miners pushed up demand which pushes up the prices
3. Inflation. In the 90s consoles were between £60-£130 although an Amiga computer cost around £300.

And then technological

1. It's years old rehashed card
2. It's newly released so you'd imagine the prices will drop after the early adopters buy it. If someone offers it below £200 in a few months it'll be a great deal and realistically that may happen when the 2060 drops.
3. It could be graphical technology won't progress as quickly now. The next gen from both AMD and Nvidia will be telling. I've seen it theorised that the 20 series is a stop gap because of it's limited progress, we'll see if that's true or not.

RX 570? This GPU isn't even close to a 290 never mind a 290x. Where you getting this information ?
Edit
Wow I might actually be very wrong here googling.

Soldato
Yeah just seen this am quite surprised, I still leaving in a world were the 290 is still doing very well haaa

Tbf, it is, and especially if one had the 8gb version and put it on water/custom cooling. Just not for high performance 4K. The real winners are those that got a 295.

Caporegime
Despite the stunted gains we've been seeing for a long time now, the results are a bit better than I imagined they might be.

Probably won't be all that far off the performance of my 980Ti in some instances.

Associate
How does it being years old help justify the high price?

Not understanding that bullet point at all!

If I had to guess what he meant by that I would guess it as:

Graphics cards, in the past, typically became cheaper price/performance due to newer architecture and newer process. If the architecture is old, and the process is not that much smaller (= getting similar amounts of gpus out of each silicon wafer) then a "new" card can't be sold for cheaper purely down to manufacturing costs/the need to maintain profit margins.

Not sure how accurate that statement actually is, but that would be my interpretation of what he said.

Associate
Despite the stunted gains we've been seeing for a long time now, the results are a bit better than I imagined they might be.

Probably won't be all that far off the performance of my 980Ti in some instances.

stock 980 Ti maybe. though Maxwell loves to overclock and I've had my old 980 Ti touching stock 1070 Ti performance which is a totally different tier of card than this 590

Associate

Good point, the 570 gets surprisingly close to the 580.

stock 980 Ti maybe. though Maxwell loves to overclock and I've had my old 980 Ti touching stock 1070 Ti performance which is a totally different tier of card than this 590

Even so that's pretty good and means it probably matches the Fury in many cases. It is an indicator of the lower speed of progress, taking 3 years for a mid range card to match the speed of a previous high end one.

Caporegime

Absolutely, I was only thinking along the lines of stock performance. :)

I pushed mine pretty hard in Fallout 4 and although it didn't break any records with its overclocking limits, it's still nice to know there's a fair bit of performance waiting should I need it.

Soldato
I picked up a Nitro+ Special Edition in the boxing day sales here in NZ for the equivalent of 230GBP.
At that price I am pretty stoked. It is a really pretty card, I have yet to push it but it seems perfectly stable at 1600mhz.
I have been out of PC gaming for an age and using a 1080p display so it is a great match for me.
My next step up will be to see if a Ryzen 3000 series chip will run on this B350 board when they release. The 2400g is going to be the limiting factor now.

Last edited:
Permabanned
RX 570? This GPU isn't even close to a 290 never mind a 290x. Where you getting this information ?
Edit
Wow I might actually be very wrong here googling.
Yeah just seen this am quite surprised, I still leaving in a world were the 290 is still doing very well haaa

These are old games in an 18 month old video, It'd be interesting to see how these cards compare to each other in newer games. AMD are often praised for their ongoing support of older gpu's but how much of that is due to them all being GCN based?

Back
Top Bottom