• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Ryzen "2" ?

Soldato
Yep!
It's a great board, imho. Ok, I have not tried any others to compare it to, but it's well-specced, well-built, looks good, and has a decent BIOS.
It's running my 2700X at 4.3GHz all core, and RAM at 3200MHz no problem- and once I updated to the latest BIOS, hasn't given me any issues so far.

I saw it as a happy-medium price point, not budget but not top of the range either. Since buying it, I have found a couple of reviews, and it seems to be a group-test winner in at least one of them.

Personally, I'd recommend it highly!

Exactly the type of feedback I was looking for. Thanks man!

Permabanned
I'd be interested to see others, especially Pinnacle Ridge.

VGDskmT.png

3600.png

This is waht hours of tweeking binned cpu and good memory gets You

Permabanned
Yep!
It's a great board, imho. Ok, I have not tried any others to compare it to, but it's well-specced, well-built, looks good, and has a decent BIOS.
It's running my 2700X at 4.3GHz all core, and RAM at 3200MHz no problem- and once I updated to the latest BIOS, hasn't given me any issues so far.

I saw it as a happy-medium price point, not budget but not top of the range either. Since buying it, I have found a couple of reviews, and it seems to be a group-test winner in at least one of them.

Personally, I'd recommend it highly!

How is the sound?

Associate
Decent. Think the Prime Pro has technically 'better' onboard sound, but the Strix isn't shabby. It has that 'SoundFX' chip with the red glowy bits on it...

I use an outboard DAC anyway so not really relevant for me!

EDIT lol ok, should've quoted #4339 but hey-ho.

HeX

HeX

Soldato
Did a bit more testing last night- tried IBT on max... Temps topped out at 78C, no lockups or other issues at 4.3GHz* all-core. It's passed everthing I've tried so far, so as far as I'm concerned, it's stable.
Very happy with that, that's a heavier ragging than it's ever going to get in day-to-day use.

*Ok, 4.290GHz, cos my silly BCLK always seems to be 99.98MHz...

What voltage and cooler is that on?

Associate
What voltage and cooler is that on?

1.400v, XSPC Raystorm Pro water loop. Will try to bring voltage down a tad at some point, but right now (ok, not actually right now- I'm currently using the pub's coal-fired laptop) I'm just enjoying using this rig. It palpably blows my 4770k out of the water, and I didn't think I'd be saying that.

Kinda wish I'd spent a tad more on quicker RAM, but hindsight and all that...

Last edited:
Permabanned
Decent. Think the Prime Pro has technically 'better' onboard sound, but the Strix isn't shabby. It has that 'SoundFX' chip with the red glowy bits on it...

I use an outboard DAC anyway so not really relevant for me!

EDIT lol ok, should've quoted #4339 but hey-ho.

Got it. Thank you ;)

@orbitalwalsh Because of the better sound qualities, is this worth:

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £225.49 (includes shipping: £10.50)​

When there is that?:

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £195.49 (includes shipping: £10.50)​

I also prefer the first M.2 slot to be next to the CPU, and not next to the graphics card fans.

Associate
The primary M.2 on the Strix is hidden under the heatsinks- you unscrew them, fit the drive, then pop the heatsinks back on. There's a bit of shielding from the GPU heat. Either way, in my case I have mucho airflow so again, not a concern for me!

Soldato
Its not the boards that cost a fortune - though am not sure the cheap ones would be a good match to 8700K, its the CPU

Cheapest place I would dare put my card details into for 8700K is £315, which is still £100 more than a 1700X, cheapest Z370 board (which did not look great) was still £20 more than something like the Asrock B350 Pro4, and still be a difference again for the CPU cooler, as 8700K is a bit of a beast.

Thats a big chunk of change to throw at the difference in price between cheapest 1060 6GB (235 - OcUK) and the 1070TI (400 - OcUK)

Am not sure what your getting at! :)

Well the choice of the cpu is the problem in itself.

So many people choosing 8700k's over 8600k's when they dont need logical threads.

The 8700k is not a great buy in the post ryzen 2 launch market, but the 8600k is still competitive.

I know people are going to say but streaming my games, but encoding videos. True logical threads help for those but most people buying 8700k's dont do either, they just play games.

Soldato
So not sure if anyone else has had any problems, yesterday I left my PC running on the morning, tried to remote in from work at lunchtime but was suprised I couldnt! Went home and found it was shutdown. When I started it up got stuck on the windows loading screen, had to restart then got a message about bios needing to load up in safe mode etc.
I am on a CH7 with 2700x , 8Pack 3200 Memory set to the DOCP profile for 3200.
It was running pefect for the past week almost with no issues.
Anyway long story short I had to update to the latest bios 0601 I think it was then I was able to re-apply similar settings to before the crash. This morning I left PC on again, got to work to test the remote connection and noticed it had restarted again! Not sure whats going on :p I did a Intel Burn Test on Max last night for about 30 minutes and it was fine so not sure whats causing the random shutdown (on idle).
Anyone else had this?
I was getting shutdowns intially when I had the ASUS AI software on but since I removed those PC was running fine for almost over a week until yesterday. Just wanted to know if anyone else out there had similar probs as of yesterday?

Intel burn test is more a CPU tester than RAM.

Do a HCI memtest run.

If its shutting down, or just rebooting, check the event log for BSOD's (windows defaults to auto reboot now on a BSOD). If its just shutting off, then PSU may need looking into as well as power delivery bios settings.

Permabanned
@4K8KW10

Aorus 7 for sound and WiFi and VRM , if you like Asus then push the Hero , WiFi is lacking though so standard version.

What I like about the Aorus Gaming 7 WiFi is that its dual M.2 slots are covered with thermal shield, and its sound chips are covered, as well.
What I don't like about it is that its sound part is weaker than on the ROG Strix-F. It has 9 capacitors there, while the Aorus 7 only 5.
Also, the Gigabyte looks strange with this orange colour.

Soldato
What I like about the Aorus Gaming 7 WiFi is that its dual M.2 slots are covered with thermal shield, and its sound chips are covered, as well.
What I don't like about it is that its sound part is weaker than on the ROG Strix-F. It has 9 capacitors there, while the Aorus 7 only 5.
Also, the Gigabyte looks strange with this orange colour.

Good the DAC and caps compared to Strix model , more then likely details will be on audio forums - long reads

DAC serial (ESS9018Q2C)

WIMA Audio Capacitors (4) plus the 5 standard Audio Caps you mentioned

Only audio that matches Aorus 7s are ROG X399 Zenith board

Last edited:
Permabanned
Good the DAC and caps compared to Strix model , more then likely details will be on audio forums - long reads

DAC serial (ESS9018Q2C)

WIMA Audio Capacitors (4) plus the 5 standard Audio Caps you mentioned

Only audio that matches Aorus 7s are ROG X399 Zenith board

I can't find any information on the audio, complete silence... It seems only Asus' own marketing department shouts about it :rolleyes:

Ok, thanks for your insights - looking forward to get the Aorus 7 soon ;)

Back
Top Bottom