• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Ryzen "2" ?

Soldato
So Coffeelake has 1.2% higher IPC, well what do you know i was wrong, by 1.2%, is that your Mhz scaling that's made that 1.2% difference in what i said? which to be clear was "About the same IPC"

Sure, you win.

So we all ignore the single core difference despite being clocked the same........

You need to put a disclaimer with that claim. Something like this. *In games and programs where ALL threads are used*
We've all seen that SMT is better than HT.

Now.... that heaven benchmark?

Caporegime
So we all ignore the single core difference despite being clocked the same........

You need to put a disclaimer with that claim. Something like this. *In games and programs where ALL threads are used*
We've all seen that SMT is better than HT.

Now.... that heaven benchmark?

I got what i wanted, maybe later, or maybe i don't see the need for it.

Soldato
It's a loaded question I'll admit. But that doesn't make it invalid. You can't pretend those scenarios don't exist, it's a statistical fallacy to suggest every CPU intensive application is now capable of using more than 6 threads (Which is what you're doing by dismissing my question)

I'm not dismissing anything though, SMT's a good thing, I've said nothing contrary to that. But there's no "use all threads" button in software.

As far as Ryzen goes I put my money where my mouth was over half a year ago. But I'm not going to pretend it's better than it is.
Are we seriously having an argument about what would win in a 6 core race between a 6c/6t chip and a 6c/12t chip? What waste of time. We all know Intel has higher single threaded IPC in most scenarios. In fact let's call it IPCPT from now on.

Soldato
AMD's implementation of it is better. Happy now?
:p

Let's face it, all of this IPC and thread talk is (sometimes) fun and interesting but in the end all that people care about is (a) how does it perform in applications X and Y at stock, and optionally (b) how does it perform in applications X and Y with a reasonable overclock? The end user doesn't care if an application uses 1, 4, or 50 threads. It's all application specific; a game that uses 16 threads might still be faster on a 4c/4t Intel chip at 5 GHz if one thread is the bottleneck.

Soldato
:p

Let's face it, all of this IPC and thread talk is (sometimes) fun and interesting but in the end all that people care about is (a) how does it perform in applications X and Y at stock, and optionally (b) how does it perform in applications X and Y with a reasonable overclock? The end user doesn't care if an application uses 1, 4, or 50 threads. It's all application specific; a game that uses 16 threads might still be faster on a 4c/4t Intel chip at 5 GHz if one thread is the bottleneck.

No point in a forum if you can't discuss the boring stuff that normal people don't care about! :D

Caporegime
Are we seriously having an argument about what would win in a 6 core race between a 6c/6t chip and a 6c/12t chip? What waste of time. We all know Intel has higher single threaded IPC in most scenarios. In fact let's call it IPCPT from now on.
This doesn't make any sense.
Firstly that's not what was said.
Secondly, I wish people would stop saying single threaded. It's not accurate. An application can use 4 threads would show the same result for a CPU with higher performing cores, despite it being multithreaded.

Caporegime
A cursory glance at Task Manager suggests the opposite. Linux's thread management might be more sensible though.

Using higher performing threads first is the most logical thing when it comes to performance? So using physical cores before moving onto the logical cores.

If an application utilused 6 threads but was using 3 physical and 3 logical it would perform worse than a cpu with 6 cores with no logical cores

Last edited:
Caporegime
I just ran this, stock 1070, performance is right where i was expecting it, why did i run this?

heaven_2018_02_13_18_05_25_400.png

Permabanned
So the 8700k is 8% faster than the 1600 in single core at the same speed and 1.2% higher in multi core at the same speed.

That's a lot closer than some would have you believe and quite remarkable for a chip that cost's half as much.

Back
Top Bottom