• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Ryzen "2" ?

Associate
So is it worth updating the bios if I dont seem to be having any problems. Like I'm on the 2025 bios version on the Rog Strix X470?
If so what is the best way of doing it.

Do you mean 0225? (There isn't a 2025 for the Strix X470!).

That's the very first version. They're on 4018 (not 2018 as I mistakenly stated above) now for that board- I have the same board! Far better stability, I'd recommend updating if you haven't already.

Soldato

That's the very first version. They're on 4018 (not 2018 as I mistakenly stated above) now for that board- I have the same board! Far better stability, I'd recommend updating if you haven't already.

Yeah I mean the first bios version. I havent encountered any stability problems I dont think, my memory's running fine at 3200mhz. The updates arent likely to reduce stuttering or increase frame rates are they?

Soldato

Hmm. The only problems I've had have been two BSODs since I got this rig up and running just over two months ago. Both we when it was just sat with a few Chrome tabs open and not doing anything else. Seems stable otherwise, but if this is related to some instability that the latest BIOS would fix that would be a plus.

Associate
I'm speaking on a wholly personal basis here, but it just wouldn't sit right with me to run a new chipset with a first-release BIOS. That's just me. My RAM has been a nightmare until this present version was released.

But, like I say, entirely up to you. If it's all working then fair enough. It didn't for me, and the updates certainly helped.

Soldato
I'm speaking on a wholly personal basis here, but it just wouldn't sit right with me to run a new chipset with a first-release BIOS. That's just me. My RAM has been a nightmare until this present version was released.

But, like I say, entirely up to you. If it's all working then fair enough. It didn't for me, and the updates certainly helped.

Oh, it's not the first BIOS. I updated mine at the start of July (can't remember version number). Things have been fine except for these two BSODs (not much in seven or eight weeks or whatever, but still two more than I'd have liked :)). These comments have got me thinking about updating the BIOS again to this newer version - but I know that BIOS updating is not a foolproof process and I still get clammy hands remembering how I bricked my first ever self-build with a b0rked BIOS update!

Associate
Updated bioses loads of times and never had an issue. Though the CH6 board has a flashback option built in.

Only annoyance is setting everything back up again after bios update. :)
you can save your overclocking profile to a USB and after new bios flashed, load the profile back up from that USB.

Soldato
I am a serial updater, if there is a new bios I will install it. :D (Same with software....forever updating code at work to latest versions)

I'm the opposite, if ain't broke don't fix it :D

Even more so at work, patching on mission critical platforms is strictly controlled with layers of testing, change control and staged rollouts.

Back
Top Bottom