• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Ryzen "2" ?

Soldato
So they are the R3 2200G and R5 2400G without the GPU and 33% more L3 cache. Sounds like a pointless product to me.

A quad core is more than enough for the majority and this is the "low" end where penny pinching goes on. As long as they are accordingly less than the GPU versions it's attractive for builders who are happy to save a bit by not having a gpu they won't use.

Associate
Broadcom Samples Thor, World’s First 200G Ethernet Controller with 50G PAM-4 and PCIe 4.0
https://www.broadcom.com/company/news/product-releases/2367107

“AMD intends to be an early adopter of PCIe 4.0 to meet the ever-increasing need for efficient, high-performance computing resources,” said Raghu Nambiar, vice president of datacenter design engineering at AMD.
“AMD looks forward to the support for our CPU and GPU processor architectures from the Thor PCIe 4.0 product.”

Soldato
Broadcom Samples Thor, World’s First 200G Ethernet Controller with 50G PAM-4 and PCIe 4.0
https://www.broadcom.com/company/news/product-releases/2367107

“AMD intends to be an early adopter of PCIe 4.0 to meet the ever-increasing need for efficient, high-performance computing resources,” said Raghu Nambiar, vice president of datacenter design engineering at AMD.
“AMD looks forward to the support for our CPU and GPU processor architectures from the Thor PCIe 4.0 product.”

I saw that. Not sure how they will keep compatibility if they add PCIE 4.0 to the motherboards. Would older cpus be able to drop in? I thought the CPU had to have it built in? Would a PCIE 3.0 gpu work on a PCIE 4.0 motherboard?

Associate
AM4 and TR4 has a bunch of unused pins so since Zen CPUs are basically a full SOC, like everything is on the CPU rather than the motherboard chipset, coupled with the PCIe standard being fully backward compatibility, maybe that’s how they can maintain compatibility with older CPUs.
This is assuming DDR5 wont be part of the first wave of PCIe 4 motherboards since that would be hard to make compatibility with older AMD CPU's.

Soldato
I saw that. Not sure how they will keep compatibility if they add PCIE 4.0 to the motherboards. Would older cpus be able to drop in? I thought the CPU had to have it built in? Would a PCIE 3.0 gpu work on a PCIE 4.0 motherboard?

It'll probably work like using a sandybridge cpu in a z77 board. By falling back to 3.0 mode when on older processor is installed.

Permabanned
Not too shure what to make of this, but any others running a 2700x your comments would be welcome.
My rig is as in my sig, but have been running Level 4 PE for a few months now so i normally get a 4.25Ghz all core clock on a cold boot. Sometimes that might be 4.23Gz if the ambient temp is a bit higher.
This morning when i booted up, the all core clock had jumped to 4.28Gz and when i re-booted after lunch it jumped to 4.3ghz. It was no cooler in the room the rig is in than it was this morning (got no heating on).
It's got me stumped. After running an hour of Realbench this afternoon and then re-booting, the all core clock dropped back down to 4.23Gz. This is of course with PBO enabled and using the Windows balanced power plan.
My only thought on the cause is because of the cooler weather at the moment.....................................any other thoughts ?

I have had seemingly different clocks on different reboots before. Not sure I am that keen on the PE3/4 options, seem to use a fair bit of voltage for the single core boosting. Though I am using PE3/bclk 101.

Soldato
AM4 and TR4 has a bunch of unused pins so since Zen CPUs are basically a full SOC, like everything is on the CPU rather than the motherboard chipset, coupled with the PCIe standard being fully backward compatibility, maybe that’s how they can maintain compatibility with older CPUs.
This is assuming DDR5 wont be part of the first wave of PCIe 4 motherboards since that would be hard to make compatibility with older AMD CPU's.

It'll probably work like using a sandybridge cpu in a z77 board. By falling back to 3.0 mode when on older processor is installed.

Thanks both. Just planning a TR build with a 1900X but a newer motherboard. Still saving the funds but the 1900X is a very cheap way into X399.

Soldato
I have had seemingly different clocks on different reboots before. Not sure I am that keen on the PE3/4 options, seem to use a fair bit of voltage for the single core boosting. Though I am using PE3/bclk 101.

Oh, i is extremely keen on PE3/4, mainly because on my CH6 with my particular 2700x neither requires extra voltage applied. In my case though i keep BCLK at 100. My single core boost has never been higher than 4.34Ghz, although all cores show that as single core boost if i leave HWInfo open.

Permabanned
Oh, i is extremely keen on PE3/4, mainly because on my CH6 with my particular 2700x neither requires extra voltage applied. In my case though i keep BCLK at 100. My single core boost has never been higher than 4.34Ghz, although all cores show that as single core boost if i leave HWInfo open.

I dont use extra voltage as such, just on offset/+/auto. Boosts to 4.4 with 101 bclk, however its not really that useful as majority of games just lock to the all core multiplier anyway.

Associate
It sure seems so and that is going to be great for AMD since PCIe4 is a true next gen feature.
Motherboard manufacturers will love this too since its going to be easier for them to convince people to upgrade and buy their new AMD motherboards.

Soldato
It sure seems so and that is going to be great for AMD since PCIe4 is a true next gen feature.
Motherboard manufacturers will love this too since its going to be easier for them to convince people to upgrade and buy their new AMD motherboards.

That would be ideal for me. Drop in my 1900X then upgrade later to a 7nm TR.

Permabanned
Associate
A lot more speed since PCIe 4 doubles the performance of PCIe 3 together with more lanes, improved I/O virtualization and reduced system latency.
We are going to get so much bandwidth around that most will not know what to do with it! :p

PCIe-4-PCIe-3.1-specifications.jpg

Permabanned
A lot more speed since PCIe 4 doubles the performance of PCIe 3 together with more lanes, improved I/O virtualization and reduced system latency.
We are going to get so much bandwidth around that most will not know what to do with it! :p

PCIe-4-PCIe-3.1-specifications.jpg

Will start purchasing M.2 PCI-E solid state drives only ;)

Back
Top Bottom