• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Ryzen 3900X thread

Associate
Can someone please try this video on 3900x, turned up to 8k 60fps and see if it plays smoothly on Ryzen?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1-Jmq7BLFE

Not one cpu can play a 8k60 video on Google Chrome when hardware accelation is off in settings. People did test it before with a 3900x and they experienced stutter. But I think it's a chrome issue not a cpu issue.

Don't know about the 3950x, 3960x, 3970x 3990x. If somebody could test it? Do not forget to use Chrome and turn off hardware acceleration. Your internet speed should also be fast enough.

Soldato
I've not visited this thread as I've been coasting along with 3600MT/s RAM. However a new bios for the X570 Aorus Elite prompted me to upgrade, and go for a little bios of a tune @ 3600Mhz. In fact I had to set the procODT to 40Ohms with my XMP profile + mem & infinity fabric locked to 1800Mhz. Judging by my experience and no new QVL list I suspect Gigabyte has not tried to run Patriot Viper Steel 4400C19 in this motherboard. However I've shaved a few tenths of a second from my DRAM calculator mem bench score:
https://www.overclock.net/forum/13-...membench-0-8-dram-bench-849.html#post28497992

Soldato
i'm getting a lot of frame skipping @8k.

:(
I downloaded it, was 880MB for the 8k and I'm now downloading a 1GB 2160p version. I muxed it with sound from the low res, but at least with 8k it was about 4fps. I'm only on 1080p 144Hz monitor though. Even the 2160p didn't seem all that fluid. 1440p worked ok.

Tried in chrome with and without, it was playing but going through the arch didn't seem like 60fps.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Same for me with acceleration on or off, plays for a few seconds then pauses then rinse and repeat.

Tried edge and it doesn't seem to give the option for 8k in you-tube, unless you have to log in to access it. Just logged in and max it gives in edge is 1080/60. :confused:

Soldato
Same for me with acceleration on or off, plays for a few seconds then pauses then rinse and repeat.

Tried edge and it doesn't seem to give the option for 8k in you-tube, unless you have to log in to access it. Just logged in and max it gives in edge is 1080/60. :confused:
https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/33686437
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-ryzen-memory-tweaking-overclocking-guide/5.html
@Gerard have a go following that guide on what is important to get your ram working. I have both 16GB Corsair Vengence Pro RGB M2Z3600c18 (Ryzen compatible) and 32GB Patriot Viper Steel 4400C19. I believe the M2Z worked with XMP with nothing else touched. Maybe you have a different type of stick like M2C or M2D, they should still work though if u tweak them with Ryzen DRAM calculator + guide.

Caporegime
https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/33686437
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-ryzen-memory-tweaking-overclocking-guide/5.html
@Gerard have a go following that guide on what is important to get your ram working. I have both 16GB Corsair Vengence Pro RGB M2Z3600c18 (Ryzen compatible) and 32GB Patriot Viper Steel 4400C19. I believe the M2Z worked with XMP with nothing else touched. Maybe you have a different type of stick like M2C or M2D, they should still work though if u tweak them with Ryzen DRAM calculator + guide.

Thanks but these days I've no patience for messing around with settings, done it for years but now i find it more of an annoyance than anything. Think my ram is at 3200 out of a possible 3600, but afaik its more down to the controller on the cpu not being capable of reaching that speed.

Soldato
Ah ok, I don't know much about 2700x. For me though, I had a post with a new bios but previous settings were unstable. After looking at that page on the guide, I corrected 11 errors by setting one setting: procODT (processor on die termination in Ohms or resistance).

Associate
So I'm taking delivery of my 3900X on Monday, hopefully! I managed to get it new for £360 and should be able to sell my 2700X for around £160 so not too expensive to upgrade. I am moving from a Ryzen 2700X that I have just sat on PBO the whole time, I don't think it really added much though. A few questions:
1) I could never get 3600MHz XMP Profile to work, I had to settle for 3000MHz, is this likely a problem with the CPU? My motherboard is a B450 AORUS M.
2) When I first got my AM4 setup, I kinda picked the wrong mobo, a B450 AORUS M. Is this going to hold back my 3900X much? I am just planning to turn up PBO again. Cooler will be a Kraken Z73 AIO.
3) Worth applying a CPU voltage offset?
4) I am tempted to upgrade the memory to 32GB, I can get some Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 3600MHz for £169, anything better for the price?

Associate
So I'm taking delivery of my 3900X on Monday, hopefully! I managed to get it new for £360 and should be able to sell my 2700X for around £160 so not too expensive to upgrade. I am moving from a Ryzen 2700X that I have just sat on PBO the whole time, I don't think it really added much though. A few questions:
1) I could never get 3600MHz XMP Profile to work, I had to settle for 3000MHz, is this likely a problem with the CPU? My motherboard is a B450 AORUS M.
2) When I first got my AM4 setup, I kinda picked the wrong mobo, a B450 AORUS M. Is this going to hold back my 3900X much? I am just planning to turn up PBO again. Cooler will be a Kraken Z73 AIO.
3) Worth applying a CPU voltage offset?
4) I am tempted to upgrade the memory to 32GB, I can get some Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 3600MHz for £169, anything better for the price?

Wow, great price on the CPU!
As for questions...
1. Ryzen 2000 was poor with ram support, only being able to run 3000mhz isn't unusual. It will be fine with the 3900x
2. It should be okay, it's not a bad board and those vrm tear down vids imo are misleading. I wouldn't bother with pbo however, it's a load of extra heat for nothing much.
3. Yes! Or a fixed voltage. Stock my CPU pulls over 140w on my x470 taichi. Running 1.29175v it drops to 123w, temps are down over 10 degrees and performs a fair bit better in benchmarks.
4. If it's the same ram you have sure go for it, although I've personally never needed more than 16gb.

Associate
I saw a fairly big overclock on my b-die ram upgrading from a 1600x to 3900x so I think the CPU has a lot to do with it.
Went from 3200mhz 14-14-14-28 to 3600mhz 14-15-14-28

Having said that I do agree with this

Thanks but these days I've no patience for messing around with settings, done it for years but now i find it more of an annoyance than anything.

Often you will BSOD of death before finding your stable settings and may trigger a format of W10 etc - it all becomes time consuming and hassle

Associate
Wow, great price on the CPU!
As for questions...
1. Ryzen 2000 was poor with ram support, only being able to run 3000mhz isn't unusual. It will be fine with the 3900x
2. It should be okay, it's not a bad board and those vrm tear down vids imo are misleading. I wouldn't bother with pbo however, it's a load of extra heat for nothing much.
3. Yes! Or a fixed voltage. Stock my CPU pulls over 140w on my x470 taichi. Running 1.29175v it drops to 123w, temps are down over 10 degrees and performs a fair bit better in benchmarks.
4. If it's the same ram you have sure go for it, although I've personally never needed more than 16gb.

Managed to get a 20% eBay code and the original price was £410, normally the sellers jack up the price but managed to get lucky with this one!

Thanks for your answers, very helpful! My understanding of Ryzen was to try and get the boost clock to stay as high as possible for gaming, the thinking of setting a low voltage is to minimise/delay thermal throttling? 1.29v is really low! I think my 2700X is at 1.395v. What would you recommend as a starting point? I am not too bothered about extra heat as I have a 360mm AIO coming, I'd rather more performance as I feel the cooler can deal with the heat.

Associate
Managed to get a 20% eBay code and the original price was £410, normally the sellers jack up the price but managed to get lucky with this one!

Thanks for your answers, very helpful! My understanding of Ryzen was to try and get the boost clock to stay as high as possible for gaming, the thinking of setting a low voltage is to minimise/delay thermal throttling? 1.29v is really low! I think my 2700X is at 1.395v. What would you recommend as a starting point? I am not too bothered about extra heat as I have a 360mm AIO coming, I'd rather more performance as I feel the cooler can deal with the heat.

I have hwinfo64 set to startup, so with auto voltage I was seeing lower effective clocks, although all cores at some point hit 1.5v individually and were showing good peak clock speeds at 4.5 to 4.6 on the first 6 cores. I don't use PBO but all of my first 6 cores can achieve 4.4ghz effective clocks minimum and 3 will do 4.5ghz (using civ 6 as a test).
Voltage does seem low like you say, but my 105w chip still hits 125w, I get pretty decent Cinebench r20 scores with this.
When my CPU was pulling 140+ watts my temps were hitting over 80 degrees after a few cinebench runs with a 360mm rad, so leaving volts auto my board seems to just pull as much power until heat becomes a factor. It preformed well enough, but lowering voltage I'm seeing better bench marks, higher effective clocks and it won't go over 67 degrees now.
I started my fixed voltage test at 1.35v, then stepped it down until cinebench scores took a nose dive at 1.275v so settled at 1.29175

Associate
I have hwinfo64 set to startup, so with auto voltage I was seeing lower effective clocks, although all cores at some point hit 1.5v individually and were showing good peak clock speeds at 4.5 to 4.6 on the first 6 cores. I don't use PBO but all of my first 6 cores can achieve 4.4ghz effective clocks minimum and 3 will do 4.5ghz (using civ 6 as a test).
Voltage does seem low like you say, but my 105w chip still hits 125w, I get pretty decent Cinebench r20 scores with this.
When my CPU was pulling 140+ watts my temps were hitting over 80 degrees after a few cinebench runs with a 360mm rad, so leaving volts auto my board seems to just pull as much power until heat becomes a factor. It preformed well enough, but lowering voltage I'm seeing better bench marks, higher effective clocks and it won't go over 67 degrees now.
I started my fixed voltage test at 1.35v, then stepped it down until cinebench scores took a nose dive at 1.275v so settled at 1.29175

Great, I will start the voltage at 1.35v and see how I go from there! Annoyingly my Z73 AIO has been delayed a few weeks so I will have to start my 3900X off on my EVGA CLC240.

Back
Top Bottom