• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

RYZEN 7000 SERIES NOW AVAILABLE & IN STOCK !!

I've used liquid metal on my 7950X without issue. Just need to take a little extra care and precautions, like some electrical tape.
I saw in der8auer's latest video he had a silicon pad that fits around the new shape IHS. Not sure if he is planning on selling it

I wonder how it will all sell - a lot of people probably bought the last generation Ryzen because it was such a strong upgrade - and probably can't face doing the whole new motherboard change out - esp as mostly gaming is down to gfx anyway as long as you've got a half decent cpu.

This is the reality, unless you have insane requirements which is like less than 2% of gamers I'd guess then you don't need anything more than, a decent GPU, DDR4, AM4 and a decent Ryzen CPU, or whatever the Intel equivalents are and you won't do for years either.

Debating 13700K or a 7700X, the latter would be instantly swapped for a X3D.

7700x is a poor competitor. Stock vs stock. Intel will win in MT workloads every time due to the ecores and higher ipc. You will need a 7900x to potentially keep up here.

Gaming let’s say both being limited to AMD’s mem “sweet spot” of 6000mhz, 13700k will take it. Just look at 12900ks vs Zen4 benches since the 13700k is effectively an improved 12900KS.

The above is about the best case scenario for the 7700x. Once you start tuning, it’ll be quite one sided in favour RPL. Due to the much better thermals of RPL (even over ADL) you will have lots of headroom to tune the P/E/Ring.

The real kicker will come from the memory scaling. Unlike Zen4’s poor DDR5 and memory subsystem implementation, scaling out to 7600+ on RPL and good z790 boards won’t be an issue. And performance will ramp up accordingly. Assuming you tighten the sub timings.

If you would swap for x3d anyway then wait n see. Unless you’re happy to take a loss on the 7700x at resale or can re use it. That’s purely your budget discretion. Atleast with x3d, zen4’s ddr5 issues should be less painful.

Well you could get the 7700K now if mainly gaming and then update to Zen4 3D. The 3D line up will almost certainly take the gaming crown and you have drop in upgrades for teh next few years. 13700K will do ok but will soon be overtaken and is 13th Gen is teh last to fit socket 1700.

Last edited:
The obvious choice is the latter, since RPL won’t be able to keep up with X3D if the 13900k can’t even beat the 5800X3D. Just look at Intels own presentation.
I know you don't believe that and you are semi trolling. I bet a paycheck on that. You know fully well that even the 12900k beats it across a multitude of games, the 13900k will be above and beyond

Depends then, I mean is sounds like you swap and change components a lot so motherboard longevity isn't important, although at the prices boards cost these days I can see it becoming much more important to more people quite quickly. Zen4 parts put you on a brand new socket with a potential very long life span, where as once you buy the LGA1700 + 13700K then there is no where to go it is EOL. With the pace that CPU technology is moving these days, and if you don't want to get left behind, that would mean another total platform upgrade for MTL vs a drop in for X3D or Zen5/6.

There is so little between each platform in performance terms, the difference is the SKU you chose to what fits your requirements. It is as they say a two horse race, and a photo finish in real terms, you'll just get the fannybois on either side telling you otherwise.

Depends then, I mean is sounds like you swap and change components a lot so motherboard longevity isn't important, although at the prices boards cost these days I can see it becoming much more important to more people quite quickly. Zen4 parts put you on a brand new socket with a potential very long life span, where as once you buy the LGA1700 + 13700K then there is no where to go it is EOL. With the pace that CPU technology is moving these days, and if you don't want to get left behind, that would mean another total platform upgrade for MTL vs a drop in for X3D or Zen5/6.

There is so little between each platform in performance terms, the difference is the SKU you chose to what fits your requirements. It is as they say a two horse race, and a photo finish in real terms, you'll just get the fannybois on either side telling you otherwise.
Lol, I buy stuff way too much, think I am addicted to building. I'll give myself one week today to decide.

I know you don't believe that and you are semi trolling. I bet a paycheck on that. You know fully well that even the 12900k beats it across a multitude of games, the 13900k will be above and beyond

Zen4 3d gonna wipe the floor in gaming if 5800x3d is anything to go by

Intel have no answer to that when it comes to pure gaming performance and you know it

Intel have no answer to that when it comes to pure gaming performance and you know it
Unless Intel is sand bagging, I don't see how anyone can come to a different conclusion.

They are losing in three games to the X3D. How many other games would they lose to it in? I can think of a few outside of the ones tested below.
pkLhsCF.png

Unless you give RPL the fastest DDR5 memory, the best cooling solution, disable all the E cores, using only P cores etc etc, maybe it has a chance of being competitive in a some favourable titles, like Spiderman vs future X3D.

If you add on Zen 3 > 4 improvements and second generation VCache improvements vs first, I don't see how anything Intel have could keep up in pure gaming workloads at the moment.

This assumption is based off the results Intel showed. Which I presume they have done as it shows off their product in a 'favourable light', just like everyone does.

If Intel showed the 13900K beating X3D in everything comfortably, my opinion would change. That does not appear to be the case.

I'm sure tech reviews will reveal more information either way.

Last edited:

Thats just nonsensical. Its a given that the 13900k will be faster than zen 4 in games. Now when it comes to the zen 4 3d just like the 5800x3d,there will be games that the 3d cache wont do anything. So sure, i expect the zen 4 3d to be 30% faster in some games, and 20% slower in others etcetera.

Unless Intel is sand bagging, I don't see how anyone can come to a different conclusion.

They are losing in three games to the X3D. How many other games would they lose to it in? I can think of a few outside of the ones tested below.
pkLhsCF.png

Unless you give RPL the fastest DDR5 memory, the best cooling solution, disable all the E cores, using only P cores etc etc, maybe it has a chance of being competitive in a some favourable titles, like Spiderman vs future X3D.

If you add on Zen 3 > 4 improvements and second generation VCache improvements vs first, I don't see how anything Intel have could keep up in pure gaming workloads at the moment.

This assumption is based off the results Intel showed. Which I presume they have done as it shows off their product in a 'favourable light', just like everyone does.

If Intel showed the 13900K beating X3D in everything comfortably, my opinion would change. That does not appear to be the case.

I'm sure tech reviews will reveal more information either way.
Amd showed the 7950x losing to the 12900k in csgo, yet reviewers show even the 7600x beating it comfortably in that game. So yeah don't pay any attention to amds or intels slides

Back
Top Bottom