• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Poll: Ryzen 7950X3D, 7900X3D, 7800X3D

Will you be purchasing the 7800X3D on the 6th?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Got a 78003d/asus b650-e on the way. What with asus soc volts being to high, should I manually set it to like 1.2v.

What I did was use the bios flashback button to update to a safe version before even putting the CPU in my Asus X670E-A.

At default DOCP/XMP settings, it set the SoC to ~1.27v. Which is obviously within the 1.3v tolerance, but experimentation with my 2x32 6000c30 suggests it's still stable down at 1.17. Might go lower, haven't had inclination to check because it's "low enough" :)

TLDR, it should be perfectly safe with a new bios but feel free to turn it down further as long as you're going to do stability testing. Mileage will vary depending on the memory you have.

has anyone experimented with the other expo settings if they perform better? like the expo 2 and the other i forget something called expo tweaked?

What I did was use the bios flashback button to update to a safe version before even putting the CPU in my Asus X670E-A.

At default DOCP/XMP settings, it set the SoC to ~1.27v. Which is obviously within the 1.3v tolerance, but experimentation with my 2x32 6000c30 suggests it's still stable down at 1.17. Might go lower, haven't had inclination to check because it's "low enough" :)

TLDR, it should be perfectly safe with a new bios but feel free to turn it down further as long as you're going to do stability testing. Mileage will vary depending on the memory you have.
It should be safe to boot into default bios settings as long as it's up to date enough to support the CPU. The SOC voltage is only increased if you turn EXPO on, so you can boot into the bios to flash a new version. Tbh you can prolly use the PC too provided you leave everything at stock (can disable Armoury crate obviously).

with a cpu intensive game like microsoft flight sim would i see better results with tighter ram timings or continue with pbo + co improvements? (currently -20 all cores)

It should be safe to boot into default bios settings as long as it's up to date enough to support the CPU. The SOC voltage is only increased if you turn EXPO on, so you can boot into the bios to flash a new version. Tbh you can prolly use the PC too provided you leave everything at stock (can disable Armoury crate obviously).

This is true, I just felt like being very safe.

Also I'd never had reason to do a bios flashback without a cpu before and just wanted to see it work :cry:

Put REFI back to what it was (temporarily) and try these instead to see if it stops the latency drop. If it does, then you can put REFI back to 65535.

Note, before you try the below, put the original timings back and double check latency value first just to make sure its not changed from when you last tested.

RRDL 12
WTRL 24
WRWRSCL 13
RFC 480
RCF2 260
I`ve put the settings back to the previous ones and ran AIDA64 and got 65.2ns and on the previous I got 64.7ns so they`re pretty close, I`ll try the above settings now and see how it goes.

I tested expo 1 and 2 and found expo 2 have lower secondary timings giving slightly better bench results
so i got curious tried out expo 2 and in comparison to expo 1 the only thing it does is lower trc from 146 to 112 making its existence seem rather pointless? lol anyways on to test expo tweaked i suppose

Put REFI back to what it was (temporarily) and try these instead to see if it stops the latency drop. If it does, then you can put REFI back to 65535.

Note, before you try the below, put the original timings back and double check latency value first just to make sure its not changed from when you last tested.

RRDL 12
WTRL 24
WRWRSCL 13
RFC 480
RCF2 260
Well it didn`t go according to plan, my PC wouldn`t post after that so I had to clear CMOS to get it to boot and by that time I was too hot bothered to start over and like a fool I hadn`t saved my bios settings as a profile. Tonight I`ll get back to the last good settings and save the profile and try again.

Well it didn`t go according to plan, my PC wouldn`t post after that so I had to clear CMOS to get it to boot and by that time I was too hot bothered to start over and like a fool I hadn`t saved my bios settings as a profile. Tonight I`ll get back to the last good settings and save the profile and try again.
Probably need more VDD and VDDQ voltage.

so i got curious tried out expo 2 and in comparison to expo 1 the only thing it does is lower trc from 146 to 112 making its existence seem rather pointless? lol anyways on to test expo tweaked i suppose
expo tweaked is the one to make a difference: in aida64 my latency was 72.4ns or sometimes 74ns and with expo tweaked its consistently 64ns

expo tweaked is the one to make a difference: in aida64 my latency was 72.4ns or sometimes 74ns and with expo tweaked its consistently 64ns

afaik all it does is set TREFI to 65535. with my it increases one of the secondaries compared to EXPO 2 so if anything it would be slightly slower than EXPO 2 with TREFI set higher.

Back
Top Bottom