• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Poll: Ryzen 7950X3D, 7900X3D, 7800X3D

Will you be purchasing the 7800X3D on the 6th?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
That was one of my reasons for switching to AMD from Intel.
That what i was thinking

Am just trying to workout what all the pro vs cons are of AMD vs Intel cpu's so i can then choose which one to go for

If i can upgrade in a year or two just by buying a new AMD cpu without having to replace the motherboard that would save a fortune

Last edited:
I did some brief testing with with my 7950x tonight.

With stock setting i'm was only getting about 1906 in r24 which seems way down on the reviews benchmarks. However it was getting very hot running at 90c+ so i'm guessing it's heavily thermal throttling. I don't know if my big TC14PE cooler is no longer up to the job or if it's just a bad thermal paste application. My idle temp at the time of typing this are approx 38c which seem to be ok. I did try to set a lower tdp and found that at a 120W setting r24 gets approx 1980 and much lower temps around 70c. Still down on the reviews scores but the temps are much better as is the power draw of around 160w in HWmonitor. I did briefly try the curve optimiser and got about 2000 point in r24 with -30 offset at stock TDP setting. It passed r24 ok but bluescreened shortly afterwards. I've not been able to try and play around with that much further.

What are other being able to get their offset down to? Also is it possible to combine both curve optimiser and forcing a lower TDP for even better efficiency at the cost of minimal performance?

Last edited:
Am i right in thinking if i bought one of these AMD cpu's i would not need to upgrade the motherboard for AMD next range/gen of cpu's ? where with intel you normally need to replace the motherboard

Ryzen 7950X3D, 7900X3D, 7800X3D​

Just for clarification you if you buy any 7000 series CPU and AM5 motherboard you should be able to drop in the upcoming socket AM5 CPUs with just a BIOS update. Its not just limited to the x3d CPUs. Just avoid some of the cheaper boards as they will struggle to power the higher power CPUs.

But is there any chance that AMD may change the cpu soon or are they planning on sticking with same socket for some years yet
New desktop CPU likely next year. Probably X770 etc. motherboards as well. AM5 sticking around for a long time. Very new in lifecycle. (like 5+ or more years) They probably have a roadmap somewhere online.

Last edited:
New desktop CPU likely next year. Probably X770 etc. motherboards as well. AM5 sticking around for a long time. Very new in lifecycle. (like 5+ or more years) They probably have a roadmap somewhere online.
New chipset is likely much sooner than that, but it'll still be using AM5.

AM4 had multiple chipsets X370/X470/X570 over time.
Realise I meant to say AM5 platform rather than Chipset (which is updated most times there is a new CPU)

My observation after admittedly "sidegrading" from a perfectly acceptable i7 12700K + Asrock Z690M-ITX/ax to a 7800X3D + Asus ROG Stryx B650E-I combo.

I'm using a Cooler Master NR200P MAX case with integrated 280mm AIO so the swap took about 30 mins to do. DDR5 6000 RAM swapped straight over no issue. No long boot times on initial power on though the AMD setup is a little bit slower to boot from cold.

I think the Asus 1616 BIOS was pretty mature now as the initial temps using CB R32 were locked at 80C as was the CPU package power ~80W. Updating to 1818 BIOS the package power jumped a bit to ~85W possible idle too but I'll have to dig into that.

After watching and reading a few articles I played with the PBO & CPU Curve optimiser and initially it was not making any difference on my setup. I just assumed it was because the CPU is fairly locked down and the AUTO settings were already close to optimal. Lowering CPU Curve Opt down to -30 made basically no difference to power or temps.

That did change when I realised that lowering the thermal limit in the BIOS actually started to lower the CPU package power usage but temps stayed the same. Then by lowering the CPU CO value more saw the CPU frequency increasing.

Initially my CPU started at 80C, 80W, 4800MHz while running CB R23 gave 18000 almost exactly.

After I locked temp to 75C, power was ~83W, CPU CO -35, 4950-5000MHz while running CB R3 jumped to 18700.

I'm leaving it there as it did make a noticeable FPS jump in Cyberpunk 2073 (CPU now runs at 5050MHz) but nothing in Avatar.

@bimbleuk did you run prime95 on new settings?
Nope just game benchmark loops and CB R23 loops. I had to back off the Curve setting from -40 but so far it's been stable so I'll start to play games again and see how it goes over Christmas.

Last combo was not entirely happy running at the full DDR5 6000 so having no issues with the RAM is already a bonus.

I wouldn't recommend this particular swap necessarily as it's an incremental upgrade for me but the old parts are already built in a system for a friend.

Last edited:
Nope just game benchmark loops and CB R23 loops. I had to back off the Curve setting from -40 but so far it's been stable so I'll start to play games again and see how it goes over Christmas.

Last combo was not entirely happy running at the full DDR5 6000 so having no issues with the RAM is already a bonus.

I wouldn't recommend this particular swap necessarily as it's an incremental upgrade for me but the old parts are already built in a system for a friend.
Just like to comment that this was exactly my curve optimiser testing process as well.

I have no time to be endlessly testing (I know you really should) but I just locked in -30 negative all core and ran a few CB versions and checked HW info for weirdness with clock speeds, WHEAs etc and then just tried to use it as normal.

Great test if it does mess up then you set it to -25 or whatever you are testing. I try not to change more than 1 thing at a time to avoid confusing what may be crashing, if that happens.

That recent Hardware Unboxed benchmark video for the 14900k vs 7800X3D. Their results in Cyberpunk makes no sense, I can’t get anywhere near that performance at those settings and resolution on a 4090 + 7950X3D even with the second CCD disabled. The game is absurdly CPU bound.

Their results show they are getting 189fps in Dogtown with a 7800X3D + 4090 at 1080p Ultra RT off, Miles ahead of every other benchmark and my own testing.

Same for their Spiderman results. They claim they are getting 167 fps avg with RT enabled… Yet this is another game that is severely CPU limited, and other benchmarks are showing only around 80-120 fps before the GPU load drops. Something just seems off with their results, did they forget to disable frame gen? Lol.

Last edited:
That recent Hardware Unboxed benchmark video for the 14900k vs 7800X3D. Their results in Cyberpunk makes no sense, I can’t get anywhere near that performance at those settings and resolution on a 4090 + 7950X3D even with the second CCD disabled. The game is absurdly CPU bound.

Their results show they are getting 189fps in Dogtown with a 7800X3D + 4090 at 1080p Ultra RT off, Miles ahead of every other benchmark and my own testing.

Same for their Spiderman results. They claim they are getting 167 fps avg with RT enabled… Yet this is another game that is severely CPU limited, and other benchmarks are showing only around 80-120 fps before the GPU load drops. Something just seems off with their results, did they forget to disable frame gen? Lol.

14900k is ahead in some titles like Cyberpunk and Spiderman, at 4k with RT enabled, as the engines simply favour it. 8 core CPU's are not enough for these games at 4k with RT, due to insane CPU usage.

Last edited:
I have a 7800x3d coming tomorrow and i'm wondering if anyone knows of a reliable, idiot proof guide on the best BIOS settings for it? The monitor is an MSI B650 Tomahawk.

@Goose Check out this two videos.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom