• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Poll: Ryzen 7950X3D, 7900X3D, 7800X3D

Will you be purchasing the 7800X3D on the 6th?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Associate
I was looking at this Corsair set; https://www.overclockers.co.uk/cors...-48000c36-6000mhz-dual-cha-mem-crs-00997.html - Ideally looking for a plug and play set, issue free set preferred. Memory issues still a thing on Ryzen?
Sorry, I edited my post above as I put 'samsung' instead of 'corsair'.

If it was me and I wanted a set and forget set of ram I am sure that would be OK. But I still like to check the memory QVL on whatever motherboard website you end up ordering. To ensure compatibility.

Ryzen compatibility does seem to be much, much better now in my opinion. But, getting EXPO to run is still an issue, regardless of whether the set is 'rated to run a certain speed'. Seems to be more of an issue with higher capacity dimms like +64gb and quad channel.

Not sure what others on here think, but if it was about price to performance and set and forget, a set like this might be a good option:

This one has better overall tighter EXPO timings at the same price point. RAM is such a difficult thing to buy though, as so many sets look exactly the same, but have to really research to get the full picture.

I would pick a motherboard based on looking on review sites and seeing if anyone has ranted about it on Reddit for example and then pick a set off the motherboard QVL, if I wanted to really try and ensure it worked first time. Which it really should, even if it is XMP, working on an AMD board etc. It should 'just work' but sometimes life doesn't work like that! :cry:

100% check out buildzoid on Youtube as he basically answers all your questions in his recent videos!

Last edited:
Associate
Noticed OCUK have dropped the price on some chips to their black friday deal price.

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £867.97 (includes delivery: £7.99)​

Prob because ryzen 8000 is out next month so shifting "old" stock?

Associate
Seriously though, I am thinking of upgrading to the next Ryzen Desktop CPUs 8000 series (guessing the 8950X3D.) Waiting to see if they perfect the CCD usage of 3D V Cache on the higher core count CPUs.

I got the 7900X (non 3D) as a placeholder to upgrade to the 3D version, but ended up sticking with that CPU.

Perhaps in the summer or later next year I can go through the lengthy draining of the loop and removal of EATX motherboard and waterblock to do a 'simple' CPU swap :cry:

OcUK Staff
Noticed OCUK have dropped the price on some chips to their black friday deal price.

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £867.97 (includes delivery: £7.99)​

Yes the AMD Festive rebate period on 7950X3D, 7800X3D and 7600X ends on December 16th, at this point the additional sell out rebate we get ends and as such is when you will see prices pretty much increase nationwide on those parts and some others. :)

Associate
Have a question regarding the temps on 7800x3d. I’ve seen online that idle temp for this cpu is around 35c. Which number should I read - from master or hwinfo (tctl/ tdie or tdie)? Cinebench23 raising temps to 77-80c according to Ryzen Master.
Cooler is thermalright phantom spirit 120 se.

IMG-5872.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Might get a few degrees off by making sure there's no background process using cycles and keeping it not quite idle or having a cool ambient temperature in the room etc but your temps are fine imo.

Mine are a bit cooler atm but its probably 19C in here at this time of year and using an AIO :p

c0naVoc.png

Associate
Might get a few degrees off by making sure there's no background process using cycles and keeping it not quite idle or having a cool ambient temperature in the room etc but your temps are fine imo.

Mine are a bit cooler atm but its probably 19C in here at this time of year and using an AIO :p

c0naVoc.png
My room temperature is comfortably high. I'm guessing it's not like a problem as in Cinebench it gives 18100 unclocked and temps are ok.

Soldato
So I finally bit the bullet and upgraded to a 7800X3D, bit concerned with temps though.
Cooler is a Corsair iCue Link H150i RGB, which comes with the 3 QX120 fans which i've mounted in the ceiling of the case as exhaust (Corsair 5000D), I also have another 3 QX120 fans in the front of the case as intakes.

So i'm noticing i'm idle at like 45-55c, and I just finished playing Fortnite and MSI Afterburner reported 80c was the hottest I hit, also doing mundane tasks like opening Steam for example I see temps hit in the 60's

Should I be concerned with these results? Tbf i'm new to modern CPUs, coming from a intel 3770k to a 7700k where idles normally sat in the 30s for them, but they were less complex quad cores.

Last edited:
Associate
So I finally bit the bullet and upgraded to a 7800X3D, bit concerned with temps though.
Cooler is a Corsair iCue Link H150i RGB, which comes with the 3 QX120 fans which i've mounted in the ceiling of the case as exhaust (Corsair 5000D), I also have another 3 QX120 fans in the front of the case as intakes.

So i'm noticing i'm idle at like 45-55c, and I just finished playing Fortnite and MSI Afterburner reported 80c was the hottest I hit, also doing mundane tasks like opening Steam for example I see temps hit in the 60's

Should I be concerned with these results? Tbf i'm new to modern CPUs, coming from a intel 3770k to a 7700k where idles normally sat in the 30s for them, but they were less complex quad cores.
Sounds pretty normal to me. I am guessing this is with Expo enabled? Ryzen idles higher than say intel, and also reads from the package temp that will give highest temp from ‘main’ active core whereas individual core temps will be lower. Check HW info under CPU enhanced details. Sounds absolutely fine to me but can obviously always mess around with undervolting using curve optimiser. As for loads temps, that’s just how it works. New cpus designed to hit a temp limit before reducing clock speed. If you want an easy set and forget, just set a temp limit in the bios at something you are comfortable with. I am using -30 curve optimiser and set 80c max temp and it often hits 80c but don’t lose any performance and I know it won’t go higher than I want. Enjoy the new cpu it’s the best one for gaming!

Soldato
Sounds pretty normal to me. I am guessing this is with Expo enabled? Ryzen idles higher than say intel, and also reads from the package temp that will give highest temp from ‘main’ active core whereas individual core temps will be lower. Check HW info under CPU enhanced details. Sounds absolutely fine to me but can obviously always mess around with undervolting using curve optimiser. As for loads temps, that’s just how it works. New cpus designed to hit a temp limit before reducing clock speed. If you want an easy set and forget, just set a temp limit in the bios at something you are comfortable with. I am using -30 curve optimiser and set 80c max temp and it often hits 80c but don’t lose any performance and I know it won’t go higher than I want. Enjoy the new cpu it’s the best one for gaming!

Yeah Expo enabled, Went with Asus Strix X670E-E Gaming Wifi, 32gb Corsair Veng 6000MHz Cas 30.

It's a hell of lot more snappier than my Legion 5 Laptop which was a stop gap during covid as it was cheaper to buy a gaming laptop over a 30series GPU.

That's put my mind at ease knowing that's the sort of temps to expect, i'll probably do a lil research and see what bios settings I should set, but at the moment its doing what I want it to do and i'm enjoying it, All i need now is some custom cables to get rid of the hideous stock cables.

Cheers again.

Last edited:
Associate
Yeah Expo enabled, Went with Asus Strix X670E-E Gaming Wifi, 32gb Corsair Veng 6000MHz Cas 30.

It's a hell of lot more snappier than my Legion 5 Laptop which was a stop gap during covid as it was cheaper to buy a gaming laptop over a 30series GPU.

That's put my mind at ease knowing that's the sort of temps to expect, i'll probably do a lil research and see what bios settings I should set, but at the moment its doing what I want it to do and i'm enjoying it, All i need now is some custom cables to get rid of the hideous stock cables.

Cheers again.
Sounds like you did your research. Great parts and a good time to buy when they updated the bios a little bit to sort out initial bugs.

Plenty of others out there but I would start with this simple guide of messing with anything on the bios. Shouldn’t be too much of a risk of an unrecoverable crash following this guys suggestions:

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Soldato
Am i right in thinking if i bought one of these AMD cpu's i would not need to upgrade the motherboard for AMD next range/gen of cpu's ? where with intel you normally need to replace the motherboard

Ryzen 7950X3D, 7900X3D, 7800X3D​

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom