• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Poll: Ryzen 7950X3D, 7900X3D, 7800X3D

Will you be purchasing the 7800X3D on the 6th?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Deleted member 258511

D

Deleted member 258511

A family member recently got a new laptop to replace their 8 year old laptop and while they are not good with computers I tried to explain how the one should be fast for a very long time unlike the one it replaced. Both are Intel based laptops but the former only had 2 cores and over the years it became increasingly slow to the point where even just web browsing was painful, the new one has 14 cores and I can't think of any reason why this laptop needs 14 cores (because it's not a gaming laptop and it's not a portable workstation) but at least I'm pretty sure it's not going to run out of cpu cycles like the old one
It’s always better to have too many than not enough. I mean some people would see it as a waste, but if they don’t upgrade often, I’d say why not, depending on price of course.

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
I expected the 7x to be bumped up to 20,16,10 and 8 cores. 1x and 2x maxed at 8, 3x and 5x maxed at 16. At some point they will need to add more as Intel will keep adding E-Cores. AMD’s P vs E cores is one good CCX and one not so good CCX (mine is: CCX 0 = sp 121, CCX 1 = sp 112). To get the best out of the 3D chips, software will need to be aware of them just like with P/E cores, the scheduler can only do so much. The 12-core 3D will be the most challenging as it has 6 cores with the highest L3 amount per core and then 6 normal cores, lots of games can use > 6 cores.

Last edited:

Deleted member 258511

D

Deleted member 258511

Don’t think it’s going to be in big numbers to start out anyway. I can see retailers bumping the price due to demand.

Associate
Don’t think it’s going to be in big numbers to start out anyway. I can see retailers bumping the price due to demand.
I think I saw an earlier post by Gibbo who said there will only be a good price on the 7950X3D if he can secure a good supply. I think the same that stock will be smaller at release which will bump the price up somewhat.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I expected the 7x to be bumped up to 20,16,10 and 8 cores. 1x and 2x maxed at 8, 3x and 5x maxed at 16. At some point they will need to add more as Intel will keep adding E-Cores. AMD’s P vs E cores is one good CCX and one not so good CCX (mine is: CCX 0 = sp 121, CCX 1 = sp 112). To get the best out of the 3D chips, software will need to be aware of them just like with P/E cores, the scheduler can only do so much. The 12-core 3D will be the most challenging as it has 6 cores with the highest L3 amount per core and then 6 normal cores, lots of games can use > 6 cores.

Here's the thing, Zen 4C has 16 cores per CCD, so two CCD's will be 32 cores, Bergamo has 8, so 128 cores 256 threads.

Caporegime
A fascinating theory that hit the rumor-mill, indicates that the company might leverage 5 nm (TSMC N5) carve out larger CCDs with up to 16 "Zen 4" CPU cores. Half of these cores are capped at a much lower power budget, essentially making them efficient-cores. This is a concept AMD appears to be carrying over from its 15-Watt class mobile processors, which see the CPU cores operate under an aggressive power-management. These cores still turn out a reasonable amount of performance, and are functionally identical to the ones on 105 W desktop processors with a relaxed power budget.
Since the "fat" and "slim" cores are functionally identical to each other; AMD need not develop a complex middleware like the Intel Thread Director, and can make do with OS scheduler-level optimizations that it can co-develop with Microsoft or the Linux community, much like it did for older versions of the "Zen" microarchitecture that featured multiple CCXs.

That's interesting, they haven't bothered trying weld different core architectures together with an extended cache block and unnecessary scheduler functions for them.

Instead they are all the same "fat or big" core (that being relative they are actually little bigger than Intel's E cores and with that 1/3 the size of the P cores, AMD get 3 fat cores to Intel's 1 fat core)

I'm not sure what TPU think they are talking about with "from 15 watt class mobile processors" but they are the same as any other AMD processor just locked to 15 watts, the brain in AMD's chips is able to recalculate the voltage needed at any given power budget, they do this on the fly at 1000Hz, they are not like the dumb CPU's of the past that stick at a fixed voltage no mater what.

If the CPU can have 90% of the Mhz for the given task at 70% of the voltage the CPU's brain will detect that and make the adjustments.
Its what the "Curve Optimiser" is, its your access to fine tune that function, its why you get 90% the performance at 60% the power just by locking the voltage to 60% of TDP, they are over provisioned for the last few 100Mhz and the CPU's brain knows it.

So, with that explained i don't think AMD would do anything at all different with these Zen 4C CCD's, they have a given power budget and that's it.... No different to Zen 4 or even Zen 3. There is no need to treat those cores differently just because there are more of them.

Last edited:
Soldato
Wow, £300 short of a grand for a CPU.

Everything will be in multiples of grands soon, it makes budgeting more straightforwards.

Want a high end CPU? A grand please. A high end motherboard to go with it? You guessed it.

A GPU? Two grand please.

A high end monitor? A grand please.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom