• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Poll: Ryzen 7950X3D, 7900X3D, 7800X3D

Will you be purchasing the 7800X3D on the 6th?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Caporegime
Maths is okay, typo's when posting quickly is not :D

IMO the $450 7800X3D is worse value than the $700 7950x3D. You're getting literally half a CPU. Each to his own though :D
The 7800X3D is expensive, having said that i paid the same for my 5800X and that was good value at the time.
And as below, where to put it? Make it cheaper and the 7700/X become obsolete.
---------------

Steve Burke prodding AMD to make a 7600X3D.

I don't know where that would slot in, the 7600 is £250, the 7700 £340, the 5800X3D £350.

I suppose it would replace the 5800X3D or reside beside it given people still want an X3D chip for the AM4 platform, it currently sits #1 on the UK Rainforest Best Sellers chart, #5 on the US site.

Associate
What GPU are you using with the 7950X3D? Please say 4090 :p
IGPU and a ..... 4090 :p
This is certainly my plan, and I'm not even much of a power gamer, it's just the 7800X will be a fine chip in most other tasks as well. I doubt youtube will show any difference because of the drop in MHz :D

Outside of video encoding and 3D rendering, is there anything that really benefits from the extra 8 cores in the 7950X? In a way that a human can feel and say "ah, yes, this is less annoying"?

Wait, does Stellaris actually use multiple cores now? It's been a few years since I played, and it only seemed to load 1 core... will have another shot if they've taken advantage of modern CPUs at last!
That's what I read on this forum but could be wrong! Usually when the source is trust me bro its wrong.

Soldato
This is certainly my plan, and I'm not even much of a power gamer, it's just the 7800X will be a fine chip in most other tasks as well. I doubt youtube will show any difference because of the drop in MHz :D

Outside of video encoding and 3D rendering, is there anything that really benefits from the extra 8 cores in the 7950X? In a way that a human can feel and say "ah, yes, this is less annoying"?

Wait, does Stellaris actually use multiple cores now? It's been a few years since I played, and it only seemed to load 1 core... will have another shot if they've taken advantage of modern CPUs at last!

purely gaming I reckon wont be any meaningful difference by the time it will we'll probably be into a few generations

Also even if games used above 8 cores being 2 ccds won't that increase the latency so impacting performance?

Future generations it's heading to more cores per CCD right now it's maxed at 8

Maths is okay, typo's when posting quickly is not :D

IMO the $450 7800X3D is worse value than the $700 7950x3D. You're getting literally half a CPU. Each to his own though :D

But you posted it few times typo everytime ? :)

Last edited:
Soldato
But the performance in games is the same without all the extra non-cache core faff.

There are many of us that use PC's for other applications than gaming.

Though even if you're just a gamer - there are already games that need > 8 cores to run best. If you're spending £525-550 for a 7800X3D, why not spend £200-250 more for double the CPU? There's also the resale value to consider down the line, when many more games will use > 8 cores.

Associate

Though even if you're just a gamer - there are already games that need > 8 cores to run best. If you're spending £525-550 for a 7800X3D, why not spend £200-250 more for double the CPU? There's also the resale value to consider down the line, when many more games will use > 8 cores.
Sure, and that's why there's the 7950X3D if you want extra cores.
The point is, from a gaming point of view the 7800X3D will be great value compared to the 7950X3D

Associate

Which games need more than 8 cores to run best at 4k with RTX 4090

And is it really double CPU when the other CCD has no 3d cache.

And how bad is the latency penalty hoping from one CCD to another for such games needing more than 8 cores. As no CPUs exist that have more than 8 good cores on same CCD or ring.

Soldato

Wouldn't you get latency penalty when each CCD is 8 cores each ? Spreading over would course latency?

I reckon 7800x3d is gonna age the same as 7950x3d with gaming just like zen 3 did

When needed they'll release future generations with 12-16 cores per ccd ?

Soldato
Which games need more than 8 cores to run best at 4k with RTX 4090

And is it really double CPU when the other CCD has no 3d cache.

And how bad is the latency penalty hoping from one CCD to another for such games needing more than 8 cores. As no CPUs exist that have more than 8 good cores on same CCD or ring.

High
aEg375s.jpg

Associate
Wouldn't you get latency penalty when each CCD is 8 cores each ? Spreading over would course latency?

I reckon 7800x3d is gonna age the same as 7950x3d with gaming just like zen 3 did

Yeah true which is why now it seems games do not benefit from anymore than 8 cores.

I mean if any did why would Intel nor AMD not have a CPU with more than 8 strong cores on a single ring/CCD.

Intel tops out at 8 cores and the rest are significantly weaker e-cores with totally different IPC and arch

AMD has same core types but have to cross CCDs to access more than 8

Which is why oh why I wish 7900X3D was 8+4 instead of 6 + 6. Yes most games do not even use more than 6 cores, but 8 core is a good safe bet for high end gaming for years to come.

Soldato

You're better off going for a more well rounded chip than wasting money on the highest end, then upgrade in a couple of years or whenever you feel is worth it. More cores will do little/nothing for those who upgrade often and game and barely do anything else, which ironically is what some of those who get the highest end chip end up doing, just go for fast cores and the amount you need.

It's like those that bought a 3090 for "vram longevity" and then jumped straight to a 4090.

Back
Top Bottom