• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

RYZEN DDR4 MEMORY, WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW!

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

DO NOT update to 0504 BIOS, it reports CPU temps 20c higher than they are, causing CPU fans to ramp up unnecessarily.

That's just the 20c Ryzen X offset. If the fans are kicking in too early, just adjust the fan curve. Not a valid reason to not update to a newer bios imho.

Interestingly, I'm playing with a few Ryzen machines at college today and most of them wont post at 2933 but will post at 3200 and half of those that do have been running RealBench for the last half hour.

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
That's just the 20c Ryzen X offset. If the fans are kicking in too early, just adjust the fan curve. Not a valid reason to not update to a newer bios imho.

Interestingly, I'm playing with a few Ryzen machines at college today and most of them wont post at 2933 but will post at 3200 and half of those that do have been running RealBench for the last half hour.

That is good to hear that 3200 is posting fine. And I do understand though, not everyone wants to play with fan curves and if you are just wanting to plug and play then it can be frustrating. I still don't get this +20 degree that AMD have decided on.

It seems pointless. It is like they don't trust their own sensors to give the correct numbers so just in case add to that number to make sure all is good. That is a poor work around to a solution that should be making sure they have better quality sensors and ways of reading temp more accurately so we actually know whats going on.

I know some BIOS for instance though are removing the 20 degree from the figure so fans are not doing stupid things.

Associate
Well those temps are obviously wrong. Idle temps of <18C should give that away.

What motherboard are you using?

The R7 1700 should also be boosting to 3200mhz.

I'm going to guess he's on a C6H and 1001 BIOS.

If so you need to disable SenseMI skew for a 1700 as it's automatically taking 20C off.

He's actually idling at 38C if that's the case...

Associate

If so you need to disable SenseMI skew for a 1700 as it's automatically taking 20C off.

Is this the case?! I knew of the issue ("feature") but that's a little alarming... I've been seeing 70 deg on my 1700 when I was pushing it, which in that case is 90 deg! :eek:

HeX

HeX

Soldato
MSI say they've cracked Ryzen memory: http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/ms...ter-ryzen-ddr4-perf-also-adds-new-models.html

MSI is proud to announce its R&D engineers developed and enabled world’s first 1-second DDR4 performance and stability feature, A-XMP. By using A-XMP MSI AM4 motherboard owners can simply set their memory timings and speed to its optimal settings in a single click for the best performance and stability.

A-XMP also enables support for higher rated DDR4 memory kits to work without any hassle. A-XMP will be rolled out in soon to be available BIOS updates for all MSI AM4 motherboards.

Also 7 new motherboards coming.

Soldato
Biostar have got an X370 ITX board which is interesting they have not gone down the X300 route as apparntly the only difference is that Xfire/Sli is support but of course ITX only has one PCIE slot.

Associate
No, convinced you're not correct, it would have thermally shutdown prior to that temp, plus my idles are low/mid 30's. Room temp is 18 degrees.
I'm only speaking from my experience.

My 1700 was idling about 12C and only getting to 30 full load, so I spoke to Elmor on the overclock forum who advised me to disable SenseMI skew which took me to 32C idle and about 50C full load.

It definitely was that for me.

EDIT: But no, going on your temps I think you're right and your temps are already correct.

Associate
I'm only speaking from my experience.

My 1700 was idling about 12C and only getting to 30 full load, so I spoke to Elmor on the overclock forum who advised me to disable SenseMI skew which took me to 32C idle and about 50C full load.

It definitely was that for me.

EDIT: But no, going on your temps I think you're right and your temps are already correct.

Fitted my Kraken today as my AM3 backplate arrived. Much better temps.

Associate

Yes Crosshair VI 1001 Bios, Sorted out my CPU speed, I had it at 3.5ghz and switched it back to what I thought was default but it locked the multiplier to 3ghz. Just loaded optimal settings and fired my RAM info in at 3200mhz and listed clocks.

My temperature observations weren't very technical, as I mentioned I didn't think they could be right but on feeling the cooler it definitely didn't feel hot. Even if it is plus 20 degrees still damn impressive with the stock cooler :) Been running a dream just using default settings and staying that way until everything is stabilized a bit more with BIOS's etc.

Just read Elmor had posted that the temp monitoring should be correct in 1001 also

Associate
My ASUS Prime X370-Pro and 1700 won't reliably post at anything past 2133MHz with 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz (CMK16GX4M2B3000C15).

I've managed to boot into windows at 2933MHz a couple of times but every time I restart it won't post and defaults back to 2133MHz auto.

I've tried the latest 3 bios revisions with the same results. Any ideas?

Soldato
Yes Crosshair VI 1001 Bios, Sorted out my CPU speed, I had it at 3.5ghz and switched it back to what I thought was default but it locked the multiplier to 3ghz. Just loaded optimal settings and fired my RAM info in at 3200mhz and listed clocks.

My temperature observations weren't very technical, as I mentioned I didn't think they could be right but on feeling the cooler it definitely didn't feel hot. Even if it is plus 20 degrees still damn impressive with the stock cooler :) Been running a dream just using default settings and staying that way until everything is stabilized a bit more with BIOS's etc.

Just read Elmor had posted that the temp monitoring should be correct in 1001 also

What ram?

Back
Top Bottom