Poll: ***********************S E A R C H -- D I S A B L E D***********************

Who is the most gorgeous?

• Scuzi

Votes: 101 18.4%
  • Jesus

Votes: 96 17.5%
  • Dangerous

Votes: 59 10.7%
  • Gilly

Votes: 178 32.4%
  • Sidney Poitier

Votes: 116 21.1%
  • David Tennant

Votes: 47 8.6%
  • Cliff Richards and the New Seekers

Votes: 105 19.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
malc30 said:
Perhaps excluding the Life section from the Search function would be enough to lift the load. I haven't a clue what is involved though :confused: or whether it would make enough of a difference.

I would be possible to hack vbulletin's own searchindex to achieve this, it would reduce the size of the postindex table thus making the database faster, but there are other search types which are so much faster than vbulletin's own search that I really don't think this loss of functionaility worth it.

4T5

4T5

Man of Honour
That's a shame as i would have thought that the lack of Search would effect business. I don't feel that the lack of search has any effect on the life sections but researching problems & Upgrades & potential purchases would be effected.
My frustration comes from not being able to investigate the latest tweaks/products/fixes for hardware & not because of any life section nonsense.
I trawl for hours through old posts on tweaks/hardware/clocking & use search for related topics that i don't stumble over.
I have to say as well i recently joined another big hardware forum to use there search database but man it felt weird trawling through a different site, like i was a Burglar or summit :p
Oc is my home i s'pose :cool:

Associate
Any (very rough) guesstimate as to how long the search will be offline? The Hardware forums are invaluable for advice, and you can't tap into all of it without the search button. :(

Soldato
OP
That's the spirit! Get stuck in. :cool:

You could also ask a mod to search for some threads relating to the case you wish to purchase. :) Zefan was really helpful when I was looking for a thread.

Soldato
Umm didn't know if this is the right thread but anyway. I see the search funtion now on OCUK but it says i don't have access to this feature etc. Also when I go to my profile and want to look at my threads or my posts i get the same thing I don't have access to it, I assume this is all part of the same problem?

Soldato
AFK_Matrix said:
Umm didn't know if this is the right thread but anyway. I see the search funtion now on OCUK but it says i don't have access to this feature etc. Also when I go to my profile and want to look at my threads or my posts i get the same thing I don't have access to it, I assume this is all part of the same problem?
Yes because it has to use search to search for your previous posts + threads.

Soldato
At this point I'd accept a search that just indexed el razur posts - at least that would be the whole of GD covered up 'til when he got banned for being generally rubbish.

Soldato
just woundering there probably area few people are holding posting back till search and new posts arrive .....so the server will probably get hit hard for abit .... is it just going to be a random few sets of people bit by bit or all at once ???

Permabanned
knowlesy said:
just woundering there probably area few people are holding posting back till search and new posts arrive .....so the server will probably get hit hard for abit .... is it just going to be a random few sets of people bit by bit or all at once ???

Huh? :confused:

Are you saying people aren't posting until the search returns, so when the search does return the server may get hit?

If that is your question, you'll find the miniature spike of a few people starting to post again will be negligible. Once the search returns the server load will go up again anyway, and the solution they eventually come to will no doubt be heavily centred around now being able to cope with increased server load.

How long has the search been down for now? Much longer than I ever expected if I'm honest. If I'm genuinely upfront about this I have to agree with malc30, it does look a little poor that a forum connected to a business at the forefront of performance technology is taking so long to implement a vBulletin solution. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom