S2000 owners thread. 9,000rpm of goodness in here.

Soldato
Put it down. I tell them absolutely everything that isn't stock S2000. Hifi, lip, spoiler, air-intake, etc etc.
If you don't, you won't be able to claim their value if the car is written off.
That's my thinking.

Can't imagine the premium will change much?

I'm still in the first 14days too so maybe theres no fee to make the change either

Caporegime
It's hard to tell with your earlier photos as it's not on even ground, so the suspension isn't sat level but I wouldn't be surprised if it was lowered - you probably need to try and get your head (or a camera :p) under the car and see if you can spot any aftermarket looking springs though really.

Soldato
It doesn't look lowered to me. Seems to sit at the same height as mine.

I don't think it is, it never crossed my mind tbh.

Regarding insurance, if I try to change it with Halifax it prompts me to confirm it doesn't have any additional mods (excluding factory options) which is weird as it let me put the air filter on when getting the quote.

If I get quotes now with the lip and spoiler applied, Halifax doesn't come up in the results so maybe they don't cover cars with body mods. Not sure.

I guess I could cancel Halifax and I sure elsewhere, I'm within 14 days and pretty sure that's fine to do so? Will I lose the deposit/first payment? Maybe

Soldato
Follow up, they are green. "TEIN"

I'm guessing these are after market springs

PXL-20240624-153246426.jpg

So I may cancel my current insurance before the 14 days is up, and find a new one to declare this and the body bits. Annoying. Id show no interest in modding the car in this way. Live and learn :D the ride can be quite firm, maybe this is why

Last edited:
Soldato
Yup. Aftermarket.
Any good? .. lol.

I've never done any suspension mods or chased lowering but i do like how the car looks so wouldn't want to alter that now.

If it is lowered, I don't think it's by much at all.

I'll add suspension mods to the insurance. It's a vague category, no way to specify springs or whatever.

Then if I change it in the future, it still counts.

Soldato
Yeah, they're OK. Very popular lowering springs.
Not the end of the world then

There's something to be said for not knowing a car is modified when buying used.

I genuinely wasn't aware so if I did get in a scrape and the insurance found it was modified in a way that I hadn't declared, I would be out of luck.

I imagine if I cancel Halifax, it won't affect my no claims it just won't have gained any.

So I'd reapply with the no claims from my MX5 as I did the other day.

Will call Halifax in the morning, they may be able to add it all on over the phone for similar cost otherwise it's probably a small cancellation fee. Other quotes with the mods added are approx £5-8 more than I was paying by the look of it

Soldato
About the best off-the-shelf suspension for road and track that the S2000 can have. Adjustable damping and ride height. You can get better track suspension but it will be super compromised on the road.
Very expensive, yes.
Amazing :D

You have plans to take it to the track aswell then? They look really smart!

Man of Honour
I had Ohlins on my S2000, they were superb.

Declared, along with every mod. I kept every receipt for the parts which the insurer paid out on after a review when the car was written off.

Last edited:
Soldato
Nurburgring next summer for sure. My mate and I have booked a week of driving round Europe. I'll do some track days next year too.
brands hatch indy is good fun in the s2k. goodwood was surprisingly enjoyable too. Eats your tires and brakes tho. Ohlins always perform great, I do have mine set on max stiffness but they're still not that "Stiff"

Don
I do have mine set on max stiffness but they're still not that "Stiff"
I'm planning to start with Ohlins recommended setting of 10 clicks from full stiff and seeing how I like it. Will mess with it from there.

Going with 18mm preload on the rear according to this chart:
1719314279571.png
I'll do 10mm preload on the front with a 20mm drop front and rear.

Soldato
probably sensible, I'm sure spring rates have changed too. Mine have been on since 2018ish. Just before I bought the car, previous owner installed them.

also, should we change this threads name, to "Honda S2000 Owners" ?

Last edited:
Soldato
probably sensible, I'm sure spring rates have changed too. Mine have been on since 2018ish. Just before I bought the car, previous owner installed them.

also, should we change this threads name, to "Honda S2000 Owners" ?

Do it :D

I've sorted the insurance. Current company wanted £15 more a month over the phone, so I cancelled with them (within 14 days, no charge and a slight refund)

Then went with someone else and it worked out to £5 more than I was paying. So that's good imo. Peace of mind etc. that covers the body mods, suspension and airfilter (which I had already listed)

No worries about a NCB issue lol. Should be 13 years which is what I said, and matches up with Compare the market which I use each year. However, my MX5 insurer seems to cap it at 9 years so my proof only says 9.

I'm sure most cap it there anyway but I may have to call to clarify. Just means I'm technically throwing some years away because Lloyds cap at 9.

But then anywhere after that doesn't seem to matter much. Or am I again over thinking it!

Back
Top Bottom