• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

S939 A64 IHS Removal

Mr Mister said:
if you are still planning on doing your x2 id take a look at the picture of where those little chips are on the x2 because i think they might be bigger or nearer to the edge or more of them i cant remember.

Good tip. I'll do that, thanks :)

I'm off to Egypt to work for a month this Sunday so I won't be doing anything until I get back.

Stan :)

B O L L O X!!

I just took the IHS off my opty 170 and I am getting lovely BSODs...

I've tried re-installing windows but when I F6 to put in the bits for the RAID drivers I get a BSOD before it even loads properly.

Have I knacked my CPU?

Agent.

rrr! Who on earth made CPUs un-photoable? I just can't get a clear shot of it!

I'll try and describe. All the little chips are fine bar one. It looks to be damaged but not removed. Damaged as in slight touched by the blade of the knife. All the others seem fine and there is no dmage to the core.

EDIT : The chip that is damaged is the end on of a row or 7 and next to that row are 4 other chips. That prob makes no sense...

What i'm going to do is re-install windows tomorrow with a different CPU and if that BSODs then I know its some thing else. But for the time being a feeling a little low... :(

Maybe its time to give up this "stepping" game and jump strait to an FX-60.

Agent.

P.S. I managed to get a rough pic but all it shows is the location really.
untitled.jpg

Last edited:
hhhmmm. I could give it a shot glueing the IHS back on, but it does seem a bit cheeky.

As for the 0609, I haven't opened it yet, i'm sending it back. TBH, i'm probably just going to jump in for an FX60. I've had enough of chasing around for "good clockers". I'll just go to the top and push that a little bit.

I've spend £7000 "upgrading" (replacing broken parts) on my PC since March '05. Seems far too much now. Just going to get the best and leave it now.

Agent.

Agent WD40 said:
hhhmmm. I could give it a shot glueing the IHS back on, but it does seem a bit cheeky.

As for the 0609, I haven't opened it yet, i'm sending it back. TBH, i'm probably just going to jump in for an FX60. I've had enough of chasing around for "good clockers". I'll just go to the top and push that a little bit.

I've spend £7000 "upgrading" (replacing broken parts) on my PC since March '05. Seems far too much now. Just going to get the best and leave it now.

Agent.

Take the knife to the fx60?

after 2 failed attempts using a craft knife (was hacking away for ages to no avail), i ended up using one of the blades from a crappy BIC razor. Only took a few minutes to get the lid off, much easier. :)

pc wouldn't post without the IHS on though, so it's back on again.

I'm using a TDX (I think) waterblock, which wobbles from side to side without the IHS. Still, i'm glad the cpu works again, I thought I'd muffed it.

yeah that is what i used, razor blades from an old wilkinson sword blade. they are very good and make it very easy. just make sure you put some sellotape on as they are very thin on both sides and the amount of pressure you require = cut finger :(

daven

Just got hold of an fx60 so thought would install it with a new ninja. For reference my 3700 loads at 39 with a xp120 @ 1.54v and idles at about the 29-30 mark.

I never tried the fx60 with the ihs on and have modified the ninja mount. I cant seem to get fx60 stable at 2.8ghz with 1.425v (loads at 52). Do i need to check my mount and lower a bit more as these temps seem really high for such lw volts. The fan is a vantec stealth (same as used on xp120)

Siders77 said:
Not sure if it's been posted in this topic yet but this video seemed to help a lot more than the pictures. (No offence Jokester, it's just easier seeing it being done for real instead of looking at pics.)

It was found on DFI-Street. http://files.filefront.com/IHS_removalwmv/;4763073;;/fileinfo.html

would be nice if i could download that vid, filefront downloads seem to be offline. anyone fancy uploading it to rapidshare.de? :D

cheers

Have sanded down the mount a tiny bit more and temps are better. Loading at 41 with 1.392v and idling at 27 - all with a ninja and a vantec stealth.

The board is dfi expert and am bit worried at sanding any more off mount as theres tiny components on the board that would have the plastic on top of it. How much have you got left of the 4 points and 2 screw holes on the mounts? Im sure my temps should be a bit lower

Back
Top Bottom