• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

S939 A64 IHS Removal

Scoobie Dave said:
Scary stuff, but interesting. Still not quite brave enough yet to do it! :p :D

problem is with our dual optys those surface mounted devices on one side are so so close to the rubber seal which you have to cut theres just no room for error, that sempron he cuts up has loads of room thanks to the tiny core!
I just cant bring myself to do it, but its pretty much the only way I can get to 3ghz with this 170 with practical cooling.

I have a feeling it was mentioned earlier in this thread. (Or maybe it was on DFI-Street)

Why not try cutting the rubber seal with some sewing thread or something? It would take a while to do but you wouldn't risk the CPU as much.

No problems for uploading the video for you, it's worth it if it saves your CPU. ;)

On my other HD, Ive got a video of when the top overclockers met in America a while back. I think they were all in Vegas. Opp, FUGGER, Chilly1, k|ngp|n, PC ICE, macci etc etc attended.

There is a part of the video where PC ICE whips the speader off an FX real quick! Its crazy how fast he did it. Shows that he has done a lot of pratice hehehe. I'l see if I can get it again to show you lot.

Siders77 said:
I have a feeling it was mentioned earlier in this thread. (Or maybe it was on DFI-Street)

Why not try cutting the rubber seal with some sewing thread or something? It would take a while to do but you wouldn't risk the CPU as much.

No problems for uploading the video for you, it's worth it if it saves your CPU. ;)

Can't remember who it was off hand, but someone tried it without much success.

Jokester

There is a video showing ihs removal at dfi street. If you are thinking of doing this then watch the video as an idea but he puts the blade way too far in for safety. The most i let any part of the blade go in is 5mm rather than 5ft like that guy on the video did. I already know of one person who copied that video and ended up cutting 2 of those little chips off in the process

ted34 said:
There is a video showing ihs removal at dfi street. If you are thinking of doing this then watch the video as an idea but he puts the blade way too far in for safety. The most i let any part of the blade go in is 5mm rather than 5ft like that guy on the video did. I already know of one person who copied that video and ended up cutting 2 of those little chips off in the process

That's the one posted above, and having just watched it, yeah he is a bit over zealous with sticking the blade in.

Jokester

Im liking the lower temps with no ihs but was a bit concerned when mounting ninja. Jokester you said you'd have to modify the mount which i realised you would have to when i got it. My old xp120 had powerful clips and you could get away with not modifying the mount (see clints guide). Anyway with the ninja i nad to sand of the 4 prongs in the corners or the mount and sand down the two screw holes. They now stick out approx 0.5mm. This now means the mount sits on some of the little chips on my dfi expert board. All seems ok but was bit concerned about it when mounting. Got my fx60 priming at 2.9ghz at 1.392v currently. Idles at 32 and load is 40

Well I did it and it was pretty scary but I popped the top on a 144 Opty 0540, all went well, temps are down but it did make getting a level contact on my LRWW Waterblock pretty fiddly, think I've got it sorted now though.

Right going to see if this gets me any more mhz :D

Believe it or not, you can ressurect some of these with damaged SMD resistors if you are lucky like me...

story goes, i had a 4200 dual core that i removed the IHS off, worked fine for ages...then decided i would sell it due to upgrade...the buyer asked if i could reattach the IHS, which i said i would do, using some small dabs of epoxy resin around the edges ( a million forum readers laugh )..anyway , ihs reattached, i tested, all fine apart from temperature which was a bit high...being a nice guy, i went to remove the IHS and try to reapply to get better temps...anyway i damaged 3 of the SMD resistors with a knife.....screamed for a while then cut the remainder of the damaged resistors off right down to the metal stumps and cleaned..tried to boot, nothing...tried to maybe join the dots with pencil shading ...nothing.....
Recently went about volt modding the 7900GT, got some cunductive paint, did the mod, fine all dandy, then saw the dead 4200 on the shelf ... I wonder if..me thinks , grabs fanatically.??????
did blobs covering all 8 dots on the three resistor areas and tried a boot....FULLY WORKING, primed for 24 Hours....now maybe i was just lucky, but hell, its got to be worth a shot no ????, rether than have a nice dead chiip worth Uber $$$

dirtyginge said:
Believe it or not, you can ressurect some of these with damaged SMD resistors if you are lucky like me...

story goes, i had a 4200 dual core that i removed the IHS off, worked fine for ages...then decided i would sell it due to upgrade...the buyer asked if i could reattach the IHS, which i said i would do, using some small dabs of epoxy resin around the edges ( a million forum readers laugh )..anyway , ihs reattached, i tested, all fine apart from temperature which was a bit high...being a nice guy, i went to remove the IHS and try to reapply to get better temps...anyway i damaged 3 of the SMD resistors with a knife.....screamed for a while then cut the remainder of the damaged resistors off right down to the metal stumps and cleaned..tried to boot, nothing...tried to maybe join the dots with pencil shading ...nothing.....
Recently went about volt modding the 7900GT, got some cunductive paint, did the mod, fine all dandy, then saw the dead 4200 on the shelf ... I wonder if..me thinks , grabs fanatically.??????
did blobs covering all 8 dots on the three resistor areas and tried a boot....FULLY WORKING, primed for 24 Hours....now maybe i was just lucky, but hell, its got to be worth a shot no ????, rether than have a nice dead chiip worth Uber $$$

Haha, nice one :D

Although I think I get nice temperature on my x2 3800+, I am really tempted to remove the IHS. Anyone had any experience along with the swiftech apogee?

sablabra said:
Haha, nice one :D

Although I think I get nice temperature on my x2 3800+, I am really tempted to remove the IHS. Anyone had any experience along with the swiftech apogee?

Its pretty difficult to mount A64 blocks on IHSless chips imho, if you're getting good temps it probably isn't worth the hassle and risk to your chip.

Minstadave said:
Its pretty difficult to mount A64 blocks on IHSless chips imho, if you're getting good temps it probably isn't worth the hassle and risk to your chip.

Ohh well, I might as well leave it :p . Whish I had an older chip to try it out on, but I can only manage to find a xp 2600+, which obviously doesn't have a IHS

Hi all.

Im going to be trying this on my 3700 Clawhammer in the near future.

With many thanks to Dingo, i shall be installing this chip onto a DFI UT 250GB (S754) with a Zalman 7700 on top. Now i know the bottom of the zalman has a small circular part that is slightly lower than the rest of the heat sink, but had anyone tried taking of the IHS with this configuration?

Many thanks,

Woodsy

woodsy2k said:
Hi all.

Im going to be trying this on my 3700 Clawhammer in the near future.

With many thanks to Dingo, i shall be installing this chip onto a DFI UT 250GB (S754) with a Zalman 7700 on top. Now i know the bottom of the zalman has a small circular part that is slightly lower than the rest of the heat sink, but had anyone tried taking of the IHS with this configuration?

Many thanks,

Woodsy

Just had a look at the zalman base and i think syou should be able to get away with it. Only problem is that cpu is now about 2mm lower so you would need to shorten the 2 brass pieces that the zalman mount screws into so as to allow it to move down further onto the cpu

Clints guide was just for fitting of a xp120 - he had to mod it slightly to get past a capacitor on his board. Will see if i can find it and email you a copy. The si 120 is the same as the xp120 except it is raised up more so you shouldnt have any probs. Your best of with a big typhoon though as they screw down so much easier

Back
Top Bottom