• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

S939 A64 IHS Removal

I used a knife my missus has which is just a plastic handle with a razor blade set into it with about 3mm of the blade exposed - perfect for cutting down the sides of the IHS. Took less than a minute to do.

Didn't make any difference for me, mind you but still worth doing I suppose.

has anyone tried an XP-90c or a xp-120s?

ive got an xp-90c (1 yr old) and am wanting to take my ihs off, only getting 2.75ghz @ 1.525 with my opteron 146 CAB2E.

which is better out of the 120mm ones that "fits perfectly", the thermaltake big tycoon or the Akasa EVO 120. noise isnt a problem for me, have 5 case fans, so will still be noisy.

Are you using the big typhoon on your CPU Jokester? I have had to pump my volts up to get 3ghz stable with 2gb ram and my akasa evo 33 is struggling a bit. You could add that cooler to the list of ones that work too.

jokester im getting a mach 2 gt for my ihsless 4000, do i need to put that black stuff over the small resistors like on your fx57? What is it and what is it for?

Thanks

Mr Mister said:
jokester im getting a mach 2 gt for my ihsless 4000, do i need to put that black stuff over the small resistors like on your fx57? What is it and what is it for?

Thanks

The black stuff is Liquid Electrical tape, I'm not totally convinced if it's needed, as I never had problem with condensation forming on the top of the surface components.

Di-electric grease would also do the same job.

Jokester

daven1986 said:
attached differently how? would the string method work for it too?

thanks

daven
Im not 100% sure, but afaik, the IHS on AMD is attached with something allong the lines of a sillicone sealant, and the P4 one is attached using a thermal epoxy.

daven1986 said:
ah, well would the string soaked in isopropyl alcohol work? as surely it'll dissolve it and hopefully cut through it a bit too...

daven
Dissolve? it might, have you got an AMD or P4?

I've never seen IPA as that good at dissolving silicone, toluene or thinners is better, but remember, the core is also silicone (although it is protected by enamel).

Last edited:
i have an amd opteron and don't feel too happy taking a razor to it!! if it didn't dissolve it would the thread be able to cut through the silicone?

thanks

daven

I'm not sure on that one, never tried using a thread, It would probably work, but as its silicone you'd be there for ever. Probably best to leave it on, safer than attacking it with a razor.

yeah but my temps are crap tbh, they should be lower and the only way i can think of solving it is to remove the ihs. i'll try the string i think!

how long do you think this'll take? and would it be 99% safe?

Last edited:
daven1986 said:
how long do you think this'll take? and would it be 99% safe?
Not sure about time, and I'd doubt its 99% safe, the Intel cpus talked about in the article have their cache chips on the bottom of the chip, in the middle of where the pins are, so they are out of the the way of the string. AMDs cache chips are on the top under the IHS, as there is no room on the bottom, meaning that safety of using a thread cannot be guaranteed.

Back
Top Bottom