• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

S939 A64 IHS Removal

ah i see, however im guessing if i touch the cache with the thread it isn't gonna fall off. however i was only planning to do a little into the corners with the thread then onto the side and not all the way through the chip in one go.

im guessing it'll be safer than the razor though, if i use the same cutting pattern but with thread.

thanks

daven

Yeah I don't think that'll work with current generation P4s, they're in effect glued on and the only way to remove them is to use precision machine tools by all accounts and it's extremely risky.

Jokester

ok i've got it off all nicely well and good, however temps are worse than before, im guesinng my heatsink isn't on properly anyone recommend sitting on the bare core without little pads on? thanks daven

Yeah, you should be safe enough without the pads but just to check how does the Zalman 9500 heatsink mount?

Does it just screw down vertically?

By the way what sort of string did you end up using?

Jokester

i didn't, i tried some string and it just wasn't strong enough so i took apart a standard wilkinson sword (old) razor blade and took out one of the thin blades and sliced very cleanly with it. however now my temps are the same :( even though i sanded down the mounting columns the height of the IHS and tightened the screws all the way down. the zalman 9500 mounts with vertical screws. i have some pads on 3 sides of the core so that when i put it up vertically the weight downwards will be supported.

could the pads be messing things up?

thanks

daven

Could well be, an alternative to supporting the HS is to use string or rubber and to tie it to your case above and try to balance it with the weight.

The other thing to check though is that the HS is making good, even contact with decent pressure on the core.

Jokester

i think the pads will have to go tbh. not sure about the suspension technique!! although it could work it'd be tricky! hopefully the weight will be ok, but i'll run it horizontally :) for now.

how do i check for good contact?

thanks

daven

ok did it without pads and had excellent contact with core but temps were about 36 idle and i didnt even wanna try load! could this be the thermal paste needing to settle or what is going wrong?

thanks

daven

hmm there was no thermal paste left on the core and it had spread out on the heatsink base so there was hardly any on the core area and loads squeezed out around it

Jokester said:
It's funny you should say that:-

detop9.JPG

On the Vapochills, I had to make the head stick out an extra few millimetres to take up the slack generated by not having the IHS in the way (it's about 3-4mm thick).

What I did was basically put some thick washers in behind the head.

Jokester

Im about to install my mach 2 gt and dont want to mess around too much with the head but i have taken the ihs off my cpu. How did you pull the copper bit out? Just screwdriver underneath and jimmy it out?

any ideas on my problem jokester?

ok reseated it again (lol) using different screws and the temps are now 35ish idle, and 48 max load while priming. it doesn't seem to heat up as quickly while surfing the net now, so i think i am close to getting the seating perfect. would you recommend taking 1 mm off the mount so it sits lower?

thanks

daven

Last edited:
they were at MOST 48, but usually around 47ish. idle temps were slightly lower too. could it be air flow in the case? - but if it were that then surely the temps would be the same.

*sniff* is my zalman faulty?

thanks
daven

Back
Top Bottom