• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Safest place to sell

Its so disappointing to hear Ebay is against the sellers.. Is there a way to protect ourselves? My experience has been generally ok, but had not sold 'high value' item recently.

Its so disappointing to hear Ebay is against the sellers.. Is there a way to protect ourselves? My experience has been generally ok, but had not sold 'high value' item recently.
You could create a linked bank account used solely for eBay, e.g. Revolut, and as soon as you receive the money transfer it to another account. If something went wrong it would then be up to eBay to chase the money from you rather than the other way around. Other than that there's nothing you can really do, they have to side with the buyer because nobody would buy from eBay without buyer protection. As mentioned before though the risk is often greatly exaggerated, there will be similar risks selling anywhere else unless you personally know the buyer, and you usually get the most money selling on eBay.

Is there a way to protect ourselves?
No and if you use PP, doing so could make your account at risk on both platforms. I personally avoid selling used electronics there and prefer to do "friends and family" deals/hand me downs, since you're 50/50 on if you'll get anything at all. There are certain items that are more likely to be vulnerable to scammers than others, but it is not really worth working that out.

eBay isn’t to be trusted unfortunately, if the buyer wants to screw you over eBay will assist them in doing so. Facebook marketplace is usually ok but you have to filter through the time wasters
This really depends and isn't black and white. I sold hundreds of items on eBay over 10+ years, all my older stuff. A lot of that included my previous CPUs, GPUs, motherboards and other bits and pieces, often worth hundreds of punds. I have never had an issue, but I always use fully insured courier, with tracked delivery. I always film packing up the parcel process, provide loads of detailed photos and detailed description with exact state of affairs. With that I haven't got even one attempt of fraud during that time, though a few times courier lost parcel - but I got a full refund almost instantly. The few times I had to contact eBay support I never had issues with their responses and assistance.

In summary - do it right and it's unlikely you'll have problems as a seller. I had more issues as buyer actually, over the years, but also managed to resolve all of them. Plus I always use credit card to buy things online, as it's much easier to charge back if needed, whereas debit cards etc. are a pain in that regard.

No and if you use PP, doing so could make your account at risk on both platforms. I personally avoid selling used electronics there and prefer to do "friends and family" deals/hand me downs, since you're 50/50 on if you'll get anything at all. There are certain items that are more likely to be vulnerable to scammers than others, but it is not really worth working that out.
eBay and PP parted ways a while ago, it's all now processed directly by eBay and money I get from sales go straight to my bank account, with eBay being unable to claim it back automatically. No magic required to protect yourself from that anymore. It would seem to be a lot of people here have some outdated idea about how eBay works these days.

A 3070ti would probably be ok on ebay, although it can be rife with scammers. I wouldn't sell a really high priced gpu (or anything high priced really) on there though. Technology is probably the thing most prone to getting fleeced by buyers on ebay.

Safest would obviously be a private sale through an established forum (like members market on here) with bank transfer used as payment.
Scammers are everywhere, bank transfer do not protect you from small claims later if they decide to claim you sold them a brick, etc. Reading enough forums you can find no way is 100% safe - meeting someone in person you risk getting mugged; private sale to unknown people as above; cash payment can be fake monies (happened to a few people I know); etc. etc. In all cases one has to be reasonably careful and just avoid dodgy looking business opportunity.

If you want the most money then eBay using the 80% selling promotion. If you want zero risk then CEX, but they'll only give you a fraction of what it's worth and after selling a few GPUs to them you'll effectively have lost the value of 1 GPU anyway.

I sold about 50 items on eBay including a 3070 Ti for £700, never had any issues. The thing is you only hear about the people that get scammed so the risk of selling on eBay is usually greatly exaggerated.
Absolutely my experience as well. If item is relatively cheap and I CBA to bother with eBay, I'd go for CEX, but with anything more expensive only eBay with 80% fees off (otherwise you could pay a lot in fees, so avoid 100% ones!).

Also, if eBay ever does things wrong and escalation do not help, you always have small claims - in most cases they won't even bother fighting it (as one of my friends experienced) and you can get monies back easily enough.

Last edited:
eBay and PP parted ways a while ago, it's all now processed directly by eBay and money I get from sales go straight to my bank account, with eBay being unable to claim it back automatically. No magic required to protect yourself from that anymore. It would seem to be a lot of people here have some outdated idea about how eBay works these days.
When you link a bank account you set up a direct debit which allows them to automatically take money for refunds, which is why I suggested a linked account solely used for eBay and then transfer to another account. Also, looks like someone is trying to get their post count up. :D

it's all now processed directly by eBay and money I get from sales go straight to my bank account
That's an improvement, is it? :D No idea how so many of you somehow lucked out from being scammed. Unless you're a big retail shop that can absorb the losses, I have no clue why any private sellers still use it. It is just a matter of time until they steal your money and they really don't care.

When you link a bank account you set up a direct debit which allows them to automatically take money for refunds, which is why I suggested a linked account solely used for eBay and then transfer to another account. Also, looks like someone is trying to get their post count up. :D
Not really, after they changed payments with PP removal I have added my bank account there for payouts alone. I have no payment method actually attached and no direct debit set up with eBay, so they really have no way to reach to my account to claim anything. They can only send me invoice and asks for me paying things. For shipping they charge me from the amount paid by buyer, before it ends up on my bank account.

Last edited:
If it’s electronics and cex will buy it I often prefer doing that because it’s much easier and has very little risk, you will get less than selling privately but feel it’s generally worth it. Members market is good if you have access but generally prices on there are lower than eBay, but less risky.

That's an improvement, is it? :D No idea how so many of you somehow lucked out from being scammed. Unless you're a big retail shop that can absorb the losses, I have no clue why any private sellers still use it. It is just a matter of time until they steal your money and they really don't care.
It is just a matter of time till almost everyone fall for some scam - using eBay or not. It's reality of living in a society. ;) With that in mind, I am just a private seller, no store, yet also no issues (aside mentioned couriers losing stuff now and then - but all insured, so I just get full monies anyway). Selling takes some amount of care to keep it as safe as possible, it's not for everyone.

If it’s electronics and cex will buy it I often prefer doing that because it’s much easier and has very little risk, you will get less than selling privately but feel it’s generally worth it. Members market is good if you have access but generally prices on there are lower than eBay, but less risky.
Worth depends on the product and pricing. For example if one has 4090 they would want to sell, on CeX one would get £867 for it currently (as I just checked - Zotac 4090 Trinity OC), which is only a bit over half of the price one can get for it on eBay. I would never go to CeX in such case, £800 more is totally worth my time and effort to do proper private sale.

It is just a matter of time till almost everyone fall for some scam - using eBay or not.
True, but at least on the MM it meaningfully impacts someone's feedback, whereas they removed mutual feedback a very long time ago, so feedback for buyers is pretty much worthless, unless there are dozens of sellers saying they were ripped off in positive feedback (which is against their terms to leave and will be removed if they know about it).

more difficult for the buyer to refund after 30 days, so I'd say so.
Perhaps, but the consequence is the same, you're likely to lose your account if you avoid paying a refund, which might not matter if you have a burner account, but if you're selling high value items having more than 0 feedback is helpful.

A vote for CEX for certain things, much lower price but once it's done it's done, no faffing.
I used to/kind of still sell on HEXUS sometimes but that's too quiet to rely on, can I port my TRUST to MM? :D

EDIT: Just checked, TRUST is dead :(

Last edited:
True, but at least on the MM it meaningfully impacts someone's feedback, whereas they removed mutual feedback a very long time ago, so feedback for buyers is pretty much worthless, unless there are dozens of sellers saying they were ripped off in positive feedback (which is against their terms to leave and will be removed if they know about it).

That's not correct - eBay pesters me all the time I forget to give buyer a feedback. The only difference is you can't give negative one too quickly and need to wait a bit (e.g. for delivery to be completed etc.).

Perhaps, but the consequence is the same, you're likely to lose your account if you avoid paying a refund, which might not matter if you have a burner account, but if you're selling high value items having more than 0 feedback is helpful.
You have the time to present your case with eBay support instead of getting charged first and then chasing monies that is already gone. It also stops people from doing it so easily as they now have to have actually good case to do it.

You have the time to present your case with eBay support instead of getting charged first and then chasing monies that is already gone. It also stops people from doing it so easily as they now have to have actually good case to do it.
Unless things have changed dramatically since I gave up (I'd be surprised), it is very, very difficult to win a case and proof of delivery was always worthless, because the buyer can just say the box was empty or had a brick in it.

The only difference is you can't give negative one too quickly and need to wait a bit (e.g. for delivery to be completed etc.).
You can't leave negative feedback as a seller, only positive. If a buyer has 1000s of positive feedbacks for buying, it means absolutely nothing to a seller about their merits as a buyer. There is the option to report them, but I'm aware of users that were reported dozens of times by different sellers for buyer protection abuse and are STILL on there ripping people off to this day (months or years later).

(I won't reply more on this thread , to avoid going further off topic)

Back
Top Bottom