1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung 226BW grows to 24" model - The Samsung 245B Widescreen!!

Discussion in 'Monitors' started by Gibbo, May 2, 2007.

1. theo

Wise Guy

awesome, thanks

i may have slipped page 2 of the thread as i was trying to speed read it all :p

2. Brook

Associate

I was searching through google earlier and saw that a retailer is already showing these at discounted prices of £350 ! Will ocuk be offering equivlent deals too? :D

Never heard of the other retailer before and of course I can't mention the name here...

Btw - I don't know why people are recommending the dell given that the Sammy isn't even released yet - surely it would be a good idea to wait and see how good/bad this monitor is?

3. Slogan

Soldato

Think they're recommending the Dell on the basis of how good they have been in the monitor game for the latest couple of years, not necessarily saying 'the Dell is better'.

I've high hopes for this monitor - and it seems to be beginning to come into the open at last - at the slackened prices you mentioned.

4. feriso

Mobster

Ohhhh if OcUK do this I might just have to pop in and get one ;)

5. shrek2

Wise Guy

6. Slogan

Soldato

I assume there's been no progress on this as of yet? :(

7. Markus123

Gangster

It's more likely because this uses the same TN panel as the other 22" montiors whereas the Dell uses a superior panel (8bit colour, better viewing angles, etc.)

8. drunkenmaster

Caporegime

meh, quite frankly most of the differences aren't very apparent anymore, not like on the panels from 2-4 years ago. i've got a TN panel right here and, i have a few issues with the verticle angle, but only darkness really and if i sit back on my bed to watch a film i just tilt the screen so it will be at the best angle. its not a huge difference for me anyway and for most users viewing angle is pretty irrelevant. as for colour, quite a few PVA panels are apparently using 6bit colour with dithering now just like the 6 bit TN panels, possibly/probably to improve response times, but i've used both.

there can be differences, but, the thing is ones not necessarily worse than the other. you can have to screens and the colours different, but it doesn't mean you'll love the 8bit and hate the 6bit. its all a bit silly, and made only worse by the fact that dell again is doing ANOTHER deal on the US site for the 2407 for $569 with a $100 rebate aswell, so the 24" 8 bit panel is now $469 in the states, less in dollars than most uk sites sell it for in pounds. its at the moment around what, £275 converted to pounds and adding 17.5% vat. they don't sell them for a loss for specials, just at cost or extremely close to it.

i don't know whose screwing who and where, but i know we're getting screwed the most. i do think its largely down to big companies changing prices based on where they are selling items, but why on earth is it the uk getting screwed all the time. why is a intel/amd cpu almost identically priced, but a monitor is almost twice the price here.

if the 2407 was around $700-800 in the states right now i'd almost certainly get a 2407 in the uk for £450 right now as it would be a fair price and i really want a 1920x1200 screen. but while i KNOW the prices are hugely extortionate i just can't buy it.

9. Scubar

Associate

Id have to agree, there is literally no difference between a well setup TN and a PVA panel in colour, as for viewing angles well noone really is bothered by that either as 99% of ppl sit directly infront of their monitor and so arent affected in the slightest.

10. Dan2kx

Hitman

whens this damn thing gna be in stock! :confused:
    ive had it pre ordered for yonks now (since the 2900 was released) wanna push the card a bit!

11. Scubar

Associate

Yea im still desperately waiting on this monitor too. Hurry up Samsung.

12. shrek2

Wise Guy

Yeah Samsung hurry up.

13. phasechange

Associate

have any of these shipped yet? It's Monday again so let's hope there's a shipment today :)

14. ShiWarrior

Capodecina

Its Bank Holiday :p

15. Dan2kx

Hitman

i gave up waiting and got a dell instead, they are on offer for the weekend at £458 inc VAT so its only an extra £60. bargin lol, its here tomorrow and i cant wait!!!

16. Richard T

Mobster

any news on this yet?

17. Scubar

Associate

The other store thats going to be stocking them started off with an ETA of 18/05/07 since then its now been changed to 18/06/07 so im guessing OcUK will probably receive theirs around the same time once samsung have got the stocks in the uk.

18. Richard T

Mobster

anyone found any english reviews of this beastie?

19. Zappatime

Associate

@Gibbo - can you throw any light on when this monitor may appear, it seems to have gone rather vague since first appearing with the original eta of 18/5/07?
    Thanks.

20. phasechange

Associate

I've given up! I really liked the look of the Samsung but once I had set my heart on a 24 inch with my old 17inch as a second screen I couldn't wait any longer. I've changed my order to the Dell Ultrasharp 2407WFP with Saturday delivery.

I hope I don't regret the move. I expect once I see it I'll love it though. I hope the reports of lag refer to old firmware versions.

Phasechange