Samsung Galaxy Fold - First foldable screen smartphone from Samsung

Love the idea personally and if I had all the cash in the world I'd 100% pick one up but as it stands...

I'll definitely pick one up at some stage though. Probably the second iteration as I imagine this one will have it fair share of kinks.

Wow, it's almost like no-one on here understands R&D costs for new technology.

Have you forgotten how much (relatively) things that are commonplace now cost when they were new technology? TFT screens were much more expensive than their CRT counterparts, and OLED TVs are still pretty pricey even now.

its impressive but i would be concerned about the lifetime of the screen/fold.

price is not surprising since its so new - i look forward to getting one in 10-15 years!

It's capitalism. We're all signed up, fee paying slaves of the system.

Just the other day there was a report on whether or not Alexia type devices should be programmed to grass you up to the authorities if it thought you were engaging in illegal activity.

And today we have this...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...acist-homophobic-comments-police-station.html

Orwell would be genuinily shocked at just how accurate his vision of a distopian future actually was!

No problems with the price in the market - top phones cost about $1k anyway, and this is a technological leap.

Personally, I miss flip phones, so am hoping I can get a decent clamshell smartphone sometime in the future from this tech. Not paying silly money though, so will wait it out.

When Samsung launched the Fold, all I could think of is the negatives. The wide bend, the massive corner notch, the screen size. It just didn't look right.

Huawei seem to have got the design it spot on. But - it does look like there is a crease around the bend.

I'm looking forward to the early adopters to get their hands on them. Hopefully after a few years when the screens have been tested and proved to last, the later versions will be more affordable.

How reliable is the part of the screen that folds going to be? I could imagine it delaminating/splitting, one half of the screen stopping working, strips or pixels along the fold, etc very quickly.

Oppo teased their foldable phone too, and it looks extremely similar to the Huawei: https://www.gsmarena.com/oppo_vp_sh..._the_same_as_the_huawei_mate_x-news-35691.php

The main differences I can see is the Oppo has round corners for their screen, slightly bigger bezels, and the camera + flash looks different. But it looks like Oppo is seeing how much interest there is in it first before putting the phone into development, so no actual plans to launch it for now.

So what are the odds Apple will have anything foldable to compete in this years release in 6 months? 10%?

Seems like they'll be quite far behind the rest of they wait until the next cycle, another 18 months down the line.

So what are the odds Apple will have anything foldable to compete in this years release in 6 months? 10%?

Seems like they'll be quite far behind the rest of they wait until the next cycle, another 18 months down the line.

Zero. I don't think Apple are going to even try making a foldable phone, instead banking on customer lock-in winning over gimmickry. Which is not the least wise thing to bet on, honestly.

Zero. I don't think Apple are going to even try making a foldable phone, instead banking on customer lock-in winning over gimmickry. Which is not the least wise thing to bet on, honestly.

Well, they have been granted some folding phone patents already, some dating back to July 2018. So they're definitely working on something.

There's a few articles linked from this page covering their progress on flexible displays

https://www.patentlyapple.com/patently-apple/displays-flexible/

That fact that two bendy phones have just been unveiled by competitors are enough indication to me, combined with the patents, that they’re certainly researching it. It’s within the realm of possibility and I’d say there’s a chance greater than zero they may decide to release one of their own at some point.

Back
Top Bottom