Samsung Galaxy S... highest spec Android phone released... also with QWERTY!

You don't need to update the firmware (you do need to update the kernel though) and it does need rooting as you need su permissions to access/move the data.

Ok thanks for the reply.

From this link it looks pretty simple to root the phone.

Is there any particular ROM that seems to be the favourite with galaxy s users?

Meh this phone is starting to grind me down now, why can't it be super smooth like other phones, even with the lag fix it still does it.

I never expected to get this problem from such a powerful phone strongly thinking of sticking it on the bay and getting a iphone 4(shocked i am saying these words)

Meh this phone is starting to grind me down now, why can't it be super smooth like other phones, even with the lag fix it still does it.

I never expected to get this problem from such a powerful phone strongly thinking of sticking it on the bay and getting a iphone 4(shocked i am saying these words)

I think you might expect too much from a phone? Seeing as you had the same troubles with the Milestone, which I admit at stock is a tad laggy, but overclocked is smooth as anything, save when the ram fills up and launcherpro has to be loaded when you hit home.

Last edited:
Coming from a Nokia 6301, I'm rather happy with my shiny new toy!!! Need to get the phone to connect to Kies properly, lots of reports of the phone failing to connect (mine included) and lots of apparent fixes.

[ZiiP]carrot;17020620 said:
Coming from a Nokia 6301, I'm rather happy with my shiny new toy!!! Need to get the phone to connect to Kies properly, lots of reports of the phone failing to connect (mine included) and lots of apparent fixes.

Did you turn debugging mode off? when mine came it was in debugg mode thus would'nt connect.

Well at first I had problems with mine connecting and one day right after I upgraded the frimware and before I installed all my apps it worked and the problem I had before was that launcher pro was running and kies doesnt like that so you need to be running touchwiz for it to work.

I think you might expect too much from a phone? Seeing as you had the same troubles with the Milestone, which I admit at stock is a tad laggy, but overclocked is smooth as anything, save when the ram fills up and launcherpro has to be loaded when you hit home.

Don't think i expect too much mate when you spending £360 on it i just want a phone to be smooth the Desire was silky smooth all the time if it wasn't for the superior screen on this and the HD recording(different league to the desires hd) it would have gone on the 2nd day.

When i had the iphone 3g that was smooth all the time I never saw any reviews saying this phone had issues like this or i wouldn't have sold my desire, I only install maybe 5 apps at the most so its not being filled up for sure.

Put it like this i did extensive research into this phone and saw lots of youtube videos and i never once saw one lag, all the Samsung official ones it was like butter so what happened from there to now.

I don't regret getting it the screen is lovely its nice seeing it outside in the sun, something the Desire was bad at.

Last edited:
Don't think i expect too much mate when you spending £360 on it i just want a phone to be smooth the Desire was silky smooth all the time if it wasn't for the superior screen on this and the HD recording(different league to the desires hd) it would have gone on the 2nd day.

When i had the iphone 3g that was smooth all the time I never saw any reviews saying this phone had issues like this or i wouldn't have sold my desire, I only install maybe 5 apps at the most so its not being filled up for sure.

Put it like this i did extensive research into this phone and saw lots of youtube videos and i never once saw one lag, all the Samsung official ones it was like butter so what happened from there to now.

I don't regret getting it the screen is lovely its nice seeing it outside in the sun, something the Desire was bad at.

I chose the iphone 4 and have my 30 days to take it back. I wanted to stay on android, but despite all the hardware improvement, there doesnt seem to be a bug free android phone to really compete. Having had a hero for 10 months, I am disappointed at HTC's incredibly slow support when releasing new versions of android and dont want to wait for 2.2 forever on the desire.

Did you turn debugging mode off? when mine came it was in debugg mode thus would'nt connect.

Wow. Am on the internet on my phone right now and its amazing. Getting use to the keyboard real quickly. Where do I find the option to turn it off?

EDIT: It was already off :-S

EDIT 2: Well connecting to the laptop quite happily so just gonna sort it out from there!

Last edited:
Grats man its a great phone, Im kinda in the same boat as you too ive been looking around for a decent case but not to sure what to get XD.

yea ive seen people say either mofi or zenus but i wanna know what the feel of them are with the phone from someone who has one before i commit to one.

let me know if u find a decent case

Is there any particular ROM that seems to be the favourite with galaxy s users?

There seem to be new leaked ROMs every couple of days at the moment, i think a lot of folks were using jg5. I'm on jm1 but apparently jm2 has flash support in the browser so i'm tempted to reflash just to check that out. Main gripe seems to be dodgy GPS support, not sure if this is with leaked ROMs or the offical ROM too

quick question to people flashing the SGS. i read about doing it last night, seems pretty simple and im pretty good with pc's built my own rig etc.... but obviously if you brick your phone the insurance isnt gonna cover it, so im not sure if i wanna take the risk doing it with a phone that costs quite a bit of money.

how do people here justify in their minds the risk ? just curious.....

quick question to people flashing the SGS. i read about doing it last night, seems pretty simple and im pretty good with pc's built my own rig etc.... but obviously if you brick your phone the insurance isnt gonna cover it, so im not sure if i wanna take the risk doing it with a phone that costs quite a bit of money.

how do people here justify in their minds the risk ? just curious.....

Because the risk isnt very high if youre carful. Chances of something going wrong are very very slim.

Anyone know when the phone with full hardware QWERTY keyboard is being released (cant search net at work!!)

isnt it a US only release ?

Because the risk isnt very high if youre carful. Chances of something going wrong are very very slim.

hmmm i think ill wait until froyo is released, then ill try flashing. just gonna enjoy the phone for a while first i think.

There seem to be new leaked ROMs every couple of days at the moment, i think a lot of folks were using jg5. I'm on jm1 but apparently jm2 has flash support in the browser so i'm tempted to reflash just to check that out. Main gripe seems to be dodgy GPS support, not sure if this is with leaked ROMs or the offical ROM too

I'm getting confused now.

I thought JM1/JM2/JG5 were "unofficial" firmwares that improved performance and that ROMs were basically upgraded/custom versions of the Android OS?

Can anyone clarify that?

Back
Top Bottom