Samsung Galaxy S... highest spec Android phone released... also with QWERTY!

There seem to be new leaked ROMs every couple of days at the moment, i think a lot of folks were using jg5. I'm on jm1 but apparently jm2 has flash support in the browser so i'm tempted to reflash just to check that out. Main gripe seems to be dodgy GPS support, not sure if this is with leaked ROMs or the offical ROM too

On another note JM2 is meant to be very good and seems to fix a lot of previous bugs

Can anyone clarify that?

I think there are 3 parts to each update, the radio, os and firmware or something similar. I just tend to use the term ROM for anything that i flash to hardware. Not sure that it's entirely correct parlance for mobile phone dev, mostly i think folks are using it to refer to OS updates and custom mods < shrug >

I chose the iphone 4 and have my 30 days to take it back. I wanted to stay on android, but despite all the hardware improvement, there doesnt seem to be a bug free android phone to really compete. Having had a hero for 10 months, I am disappointed at HTC's incredibly slow support when releasing new versions of android and dont want to wait for 2.2 forever on the desire.

Froya has been confirmed for the Desire in the next few months, i seen the iphone 4 my sister has it its a nice phone but the screen lets it down only being tft style they should have gone lcd its the future, my sis was in ore at the quality of the screen on my phone hers has nice high rez but let down by the colours when we compared the same video clip.

If the iphone 4 wasn't so overpriced i would consider it but its far to pricey for its spec, you can't really base android phones on the hero i had one of those very poor phone imo the desire and galaxy in a different league to it.

All phones have there issues look at Iphone4 and its signal issue things happen with new technology its just annoying when you spent a lot of money on one.

Last edited:
Jabbs, the iPhone 4 is not let down by its screen, its a more crisp image than that of an LED screen (I assume thats what you mean, not LCD).

I would say they are on par, some people may prefer the iPhone screen, some may prefer an LED screen.

In all honestly if I had to choose one, I'd be leaning toward the 'retina' display. Its very nice.

LED with Retina display please :p (take notes HTC)

I meant LED lol the colours look superior on the LED screen that's what I meant compared to tft, having had both i can see the difference is huge.

We ran the trailer to avatar on her iphone and on mine and all 3 of us there agreed it looked superior on the galaxy with the Super AMOLED screen, its only got slightly higher rez the 4g screen nothing to shout about though.

It depends whether or not you prefer slightly crisper colours, or a slightly crisper image on the whole.

I have to say the iPhone 4 screen surprised me, it is very, very impressive. I'm slightly more impressed by it than I was with LED.

Cant say one is better than the other :)

If i could sell this and get a Iphone 4 for say £100 more I would get one but they too pricey for me :(

I agree there, compared to the competition they are a ripoff in all honesty.

If Apple didn't have its massive cult following they would be bust by now :p

I installed Launcherpro this morning and have not been able to get on the internet all day since. I have rebooted several times, removed the APN and re added it etc.... SMS and MMS are working fine and the H symbol has been showing All the time.
I have even tried reverting back to TWLauncher, but still no joy, my wife works a few miles down the road and her Galaxy with the same APN settings is working fine.... so Not sure what is wrong.

Anybody got any ideas?

I'm on 3 Network.

I agree there, compared to the competition they are a ripoff in all honesty.

If Apple didn't have its massive cult following they would be bust by now :p

Ill stick with me Galaxy it has ahas a 50,000:1 contrast ratio while the Iphone has an 800:1. I just don't' think apple have done enough to make it a clear winner, when the 3g was out all Android had was the Hero but now it has such high quality handsets and more coming end of the year they be miles a ahead soon.

Last edited:
Ok did a bit more playing about, spoke to 3 and also visited a local 3 store, my sim works fine in another phone, so its not my account, lloks like a phone setting..

Now im at home, I am outside the 3 network, status shows as roaming and GPRS and internet works fine, all be it slow....

Any way to reset the network settings or am i going to have to hard reset the phone and start again... was all fine till i started messing with LauncherPro!!!

quick question to people flashing the SGS. i read about doing it last night, seems pretty simple and im pretty good with pc's built my own rig etc.... but obviously if you brick your phone the insurance isnt gonna cover it, so im not sure if i wanna take the risk doing it with a phone that costs quite a bit of money.

how do people here justify in their minds the risk ? just curious.....

I've bricked/semi bricked my SGS couple of times but you just flash it again with any frimware you want and it just works, might be just me but I think thats how it is with most of the other poeple too.

Also I was looking at some MOFI Pouches I saw on the bay they seems to looks kinda kewl so I think I might pick one up.

Oh right ok. i think ill wait till 2.2 comes out then flash it. yea ive been looking at mofi cases and zenus, but havent really read reviews from people who have the cases and what they are like with the phone

Froya has been confirmed for the Desire in the next few months, i seen the iphone 4 my sister has it its a nice phone but the screen lets it down only being tft style they should have gone lcd its the future, my sis was in ore at the quality of the screen on my phone hers has nice high rez but let down by the colours when we compared the same video clip.

If the iphone 4 wasn't so overpriced i would consider it but its far to pricey for its spec, you can't really base android phones on the hero i had one of those very poor phone imo the desire and galaxy in a different league to it.

All phones have there issues look at Iphone4 and its signal issue things happen with new technology its just annoying when you spent a lot of money on one.

i got an iphone as a result of an insurance pay out; i could pay £389/£400 for a desire or sgs sim free. Alternatively, the iphone was £100 more. I got £500 for my lost hero, so i thought "why not?"

I am sorely missing some parts of android and I would love to go back, but the SGSs I played with in shops (4 different ones) all had this weird micro stutter (is this a software problem). I also dont trust HTC to produce 2.2 anytime soon.

I would never buy an iphone on contract, but on a purely sim free basis, I am sad to say that I think they trump the current UK offerings.

i got an iphone as a result of an insurance pay out; i could pay £389/£400 for a desire or sgs sim free. Alternatively, the iphone was £100 more. I got £500 for my lost hero, so i thought "why not?"

I am sorely missing some parts of android and I would love to go back, but the SGSs I played with in shops (4 different ones) all had this weird micro stutter (is this a software problem). I also dont trust HTC to produce 2.2 anytime soon.

I would never buy an iphone on contract, but on a purely sim free basis, I am sad to say that I think they trump the current UK offerings.

Basically it's a software/firmware problem - ie it's not optimised properly atm.

There are some beta firmwares from Samsung and various other fixes that you can implement if you're slightly technically minded that normally completely remove the 'micro stutter' as you put it. However, as with these sort of things you void your warantee and there is a very slight chance of you bricking your phone.

Last edited:
Any idea when samsung will release an official update for the soft/firmware for the SGS? And how will it be updated? Via that stupid samsung kies thing? I mean the phone can be amazingly quick and then jsut suddenly freeze up and then go fast again. its rather odd. I still love it though :D

Back
Top Bottom