Samsung LS34E790C - Curved 34" 21:9 super-wide

Associate
Indeed, dont worry I'm managing my expectations after the total disappointment with my previous 2x LG 34UM95's both of which had unacceptable levels of bleed...

Cautiously excited would perhaps be a better phrase! ;)

To be honest if this screen performs anywhere close to the IPS versions with minimal bleed i think people will jump all over it, for me its bleed and the talk of image quality (not as sharp) which gives me doubts as this has been mentioned before.

Associate
Well it has arrived!!!

First impressions are that the box is HUGE - considerably larger than the LG 34" box. Perhaps a little worryingly my box appears to be opened - as in the original tape over the top is already sliced open and a 2nd piece badly stuck over the top, also the accessories box has been closed slightly misaligned thus creasing the closure flap, so I doubt it left the factory like this. Having said that nothing else appears open inside - the monitor is still wrapped in foam sheet which doesn't appear to have been disturbed and all the cables appear to be wound as you would expect from the factory. Not sure what has gone on here - maybe OC quality check, or just sneaky preview of one of the first boxes?

Unlike the LG's which required the screen to be attached to the stand, this screen is already fully built and attached to the stand inside the box - which is why it is so huge! Physical construction, quality of materials and finish appears top notch, probably better than the LG I'd say.

That's it for now as I am at work and can't really do much more with it, so its back in the box and I should have more to say after about 7pm when I get home.

Associate
I wouldnt worry to much about an open box, could be they were sent with eu plugs and were swapped out for uk plugs , depends if they were shipped direct to OC or to a samsung depo here in the uk .. as long as the rest is all ok and everything else seems like its not been played with i think you will be fine.

OcUK Staff
Well it has arrived!!!

First impressions are that the box is HUGE - considerably larger than the LG 34" box. Perhaps a little worryingly my box appears to be opened - as in the original tape over the top is already sliced open and a 2nd piece badly stuck over the top, also the accessories box has been closed slightly misaligned thus creasing the closure flap, so I doubt it left the factory like this. Having said that nothing else appears open inside - the monitor is still wrapped in foam sheet which doesn't appear to have been disturbed and all the cables appear to be wound as you would expect from the factory. Not sure what has gone on here - maybe OC quality check, or just sneaky preview of one of the first boxes?

Unlike the LG's which required the screen to be attached to the stand, this screen is already fully built and attached to the stand inside the box - which is why it is so huge! Physical construction, quality of materials and finish appears top notch, probably better than the LG I'd say.

That's it for now as I am at work and can't really do much more with it, so its back in the box and I should have more to say after about 7pm when I get home.

This is the Samsung distributor opening them up to put UK plugs in. Impossible for them to be used, it is the first shipment. :)

Associate
This is the Samsung distributor opening them up to put UK plugs in. Impossible for them to be used, it is the first shipment. :)

Ahhh, many thanks for the explanation Gibbo - good to hear. :)

Heading home in the next few mins, so all being well will have some pics and thoughts in the next couple of hours or so...

Soldato
im still waiting for LG to sort out my refund. Sooner the better as im using a rubbish little 14 inch monitor at the moment lol

Associate
OK, here goes...

Build quality is significantly better than the LG and every bit as good as my old Dell 2407WFP - I cant compare to the 3415W as I haven't seen one myself. The brushed metal finish on the back is very pleasing to the eye and touch. The bezel is slightly tapered in leaving the screen sunk in slightly which does give it a more conventional look than some of the frameless bezel attempts, such as on the LG. I like it however.

The stand is really heavy and as I have wall mounted mine on a flush VESA mount I quickly removed it after an initial power up check. The VESA mount point on the back is countersunk quite heavily and there is very little tolerance around it, meaning I had the slightly file away the sides of my VESA plate to get it to drop into the hole to screw to the monitor. Not a biggie, but might be a limiting factor for some VESA100 bracket plates which were even bigger than mine.

Although the curve is pretty obvious when you get it out of the box, it really isn't noticeable once you get it powered up. Not sure if this is a good or a bad thing, but at the moment I'm neutral about it - but I haven't really had much chance to game or use it in earnest yet. I am aware its more curved than the LG/Dell curved 34" but I haven't seen either of these so I can only compare to the flat 34UM95 I had before.

Here is the biggie (for me anyway) - bleed... Perhaps not surprisingly as it is VA, I am pleased to confirm that there is none whatsoever. All edges and four corners appear every bit as dark as the centre of the screen, in fact blacks and all colours appear uniform across the whole screen area.

I can perhaps see why somebody has said it looks a little washed out of the box compared to the LG, as the default settings appear to have the brightness set way too high for my tastes leaving the colours looking a bit pale. However 5mins fiddling on the settings and I am now very happy with the overall balance. I would say that most of the pre-set factory modes are not ideal either to my eyes, with a custom setup on almost every option being my preference. Maybe the colours don't pop in quite the way they did on the LG, but they are very neutral to my eyes and not a problem. There are pre-set settings that certainly make the colours pop more but I didn't like them and found them un-natural. Overall I would say the picture quality is excellent and there are no obvious areas of worry for me at the moment.

I have quickly played WOT for 10mins to test blur/lag etc... Although I'm not into top FPS games, panning around in the bushes in WOT on ultra settings gave me no reason to be upset with any aspect of its performance in any way. Blacks are black - just as you would expect, not stunningly so, but far more black than they appeared on the LG I would say. The graphics were clean, crisp and detailed and I had no perception of blur or lag.

The joystick to adjust the settings is on the back of the bottom right corner and in fairness probably isn't quite as easy to use as the LG joystick at the centre bottom edge. On the plus side its hidden better, but so far I always seem to push it the wrong way first time. The various ports on the back seem nicely made and are all countersunk a little which gives for a little more clearance with thick inflexible cables (HDMI/displayport) than the LG did, however they do also point backwards rather than downwards which I think would be better.

At the moment I am very happy with it, and I would say I am fairly sure this will be another long term keeper for me (had my 2407WFP for 7yrs).

+Vs
Build Quality and materials
Zero Bleed
Great colours, uniformity and black levels.
Subtle Curve

-Vs
Heavy stand
VESA mount is recessed
Settings joystick is fiddly as its on the back
Default settings not ideal

Pics to follow...

Last edited:
Associate
Here are a few quick pics of the Samsung LS34E790C wall mounted above my desk:

This is it playing Youtube : 10 hours videos: Black screen FULL HD 1080p

IMG_0220_zps63fcccbd.jpg

and some desktop / WOT screenshots

IMG_0217_zps3cfc5f9a.jpg

IMG_0218_zpsace68fd9.jpg

IMG_0216_zpsbc7f4004.jpg

and last of all a couple of comparable pictures of the two different LG 34UM95s that I rejected for IPS bleed installed in the same location:

IMG_0160_zpsc51c6ad9.jpg

IMG_0129_zpsb5f37d12.jpg

Back
Top Bottom