Samsung Odyssey 49" OLED G9 G95SC

Soldato
No i never done a reset. I just got 2 black screens in quick succession, Not sure if its because ive had the pc on and monitor off for a while, I dont know. I was downloading comics for hours turned on monitor and it happened. Seems stable now just browsing and doing my comic thing, i will let you know.

Associate
Since this newest update, if i ALT TAB or sometimes if I close down a game to go back to Windows, i'm getting stuck on a black screen. The only way to bring back Windows display or game if i ALT TAB is to change source to HDMI briefly and then back to Display Port. Annoying.....

Soldato
Any-one come from an LG C1/2 to this? Thoughts and feelings?

I have a C1 I use as my TV and G9 Oled as my monitor. I've never compared them side by side but for productivity and gaming, the G9 is better. It's more about the format than the quality though. I still prefer the C1 for media consumption (Netflix/Youtube etc). I don't think I'd personally be able to use the C1 as my monitor so it really depends on your needs.

Associate
I got the G9 to replace the 42 LG C2 and I must say that I wasn't 100% satisfied with the switch.
Of course the G9 is more engaging but it also brings with it several problems certainly due to how Samsung manages this monitor.
I have never had the slightest problem with the C2, no black screens, no overheating, no other problems that I have had with the G9 since I got it.
In terms of rendering, perhaps the G9 is ahead of the C2 precisely due to the lack of the white pixel (no metamerism for those who know what it is) and for a more substantial color rendering.
The C2 on the other hand is more precise in HGIG and certainly brighter on average than the Samsung in HDR, where the latter wins only in the maximum peak but then giving up performance due to a more invasive ABL (and after modifying the service menu if you use the high peak otherwise the result obtained is also wrong)
With games that run natively in 32:9 I would say G9 for life, for the rest of the uses and for security from the point of view of retention I would say C2 (wildly mistreated for 2 years as a desktop screen without the slightest precaution other than the logo brightness and NEVER seen any sign of retention)
The Samsung gives me the idea of having slightly worse color shades than the C2 (but I also read about those who complain about the C2 so I'm only speaking for my case)

Associate
I got the G9 to replace the 42 LG C2 and I must say that I wasn't 100% satisfied with the switch.
Of course the G9 is more engaging but it also brings with it several problems certainly due to how Samsung manages this monitor.
I have never had the slightest problem with the C2, no black screens, no overheating, no other problems that I have had with the G9 since I got it.
In terms of rendering, perhaps the G9 is ahead of the C2 precisely due to the lack of the white pixel (no metamerism for those who know what it is) and for a more substantial color rendering.
The C2 on the other hand is more precise in HGIG and certainly brighter on average than the Samsung in HDR, where the latter wins only in the maximum peak but then giving up performance due to a more invasive ABL (and after modifying the service menu if you use the high peak otherwise the result obtained is also wrong)
With games that run natively in 32:9 I would say G9 for life, for the rest of the uses and for security from the point of view of retention I would say C2 (wildly mistreated for 2 years as a desktop screen without the slightest precaution other than the logo brightness and NEVER seen any sign of retention)
The Samsung gives me the idea of having slightly worse color shades than the C2 (but I also read about those who complain about the C2 so I'm only speaking for my case)

Would agree. Love the oled, love the high refresh rate / VRR. Previous monitor was an LG 38" IPS w/gsync that people would complain had a high pitch squeak on the fan, but it just worked. This monitor would be massively improved by just having simple controls and no remote. The panel is excellent, but the OS underneath has to be the worst I've experienced. Also getting 3440 x 1440 out of this is nigh on impossible (can be done @ native res with borders using CRU) - it doesn't have it listed as a VESA mode (?!) mental.

I have two inputs, one is my work laptop and the other my main rig. Every day I have to turn the screen on, switch the input, wait, then if it detects it select it again after its returned to the home screen. I have a service remote so I know I can edit a bunch of this, but out the box it ain't great. The experience is enough that I'm already thinking about the next screen I'll have - I do fancy oled and I do appreciate the refresh rate.

Will probably try the update now. I think its about about a 1.6GB download! Also mental.

Last edited:
Soldato
I think if I was to get a 49inch monitor now, I'd get the MSI version with the lower refresh rate. I have a similar set up with a laptop and PC connected and it's a pain to switch and set that up each time (I use the laptop in multi-view mode). Having a proper USB-C input and KVM would be nice.

Associate
I got the Samsung mainly for the 240hz and the really nice aesthetics. the remote control doesn't create any problems for me, in fact it's a plus for me. Much worse however on the software and optimization side where I believe this model is one of the worst and most problematic I have ever had.
I still hope that Samsung releases a new firmware that honestly plugs some holes. And I would also like to know if this monitor does some kind of compensation because I have NEVER seen any warning and it is very worrying.

Last edited:
Soldato
Im really getting sick of this monitor now. Ive had it switched off all day but the pc still on so monitor in stand by. Im getting majorly multiple black screens for a few seconds very frequently intervals. Im using HDMI i have disabled freesync premium pro, its happened in the past but not as bad as this. Im on latest firmware 1405 I just think this monitor is apos. :mad:

Back
Top Bottom