Samsung Odyssey

Associate
I've just backed the Pimax kickstarter to get the 8k headset in Jan, works out at £400. I'd planned a new PC build with a 1080ti toward the end of this year anyway. It's a must now to push all those pixels.

But you have a Rift, right? So do you also have a Vive for the Constellation trackers? Pimax on its own would probably be a terrible experience.

Associate
I can't wait for other devices to enter the market fully to drive innovation (much like mobile phones).
Higher res is definitely a massive selling point but as pointed out need a beefy machine to get the best out of them.

Hasn't someone tried cloud processing to take the load off the local PC? May have been HTC.

Associate
OP
But you have a Rift, right? So do you also have a Vive for the Constellation trackers? Pimax on its own would probably be a terrible experience.

No, I just have the rift but I can pick up Vive base stations easily enough when I get it. Main reason is the increased resolution, I'm not fussed about roomscale, it's mainly playing cockpit based games.

Soldato
No, I just have the rift but I can pick up Vive base stations easily enough when I get it. Main reason is the increased resolution, I'm not fussed about roomscale, it's mainly playing cockpit based games.

Same here, I got a new Vive base-station for £50 to be ready for my Pimax 8k. I worry about the wide FOV stretching but that is my only worry. As a strictly sitting VR cockpit based requirement, I don't need controllers or roomscale. I tried both with my Rift and was very underwhelmed. Truth be told, I was underwhelmed with Rift in general because of atrocious IQ and resolution. The Pimax 8k (even 5k) and the new Windows MR HMDs are at least tackling the low resolution problems.

Associate
OP
I'm quite happy with the rift, although watching replays on my monitor really highlights the resolution issue, so I think (hope) the Pimax will blow my mind...ED, Project Cars 2 and Assetto Corsa will just be awesome...just a shame I can't sell on all my other soon to be redundant Steam games.

Permabanned
Same here, I got a new Vive base-station for £50 to be ready for my Pimax 8k. I worry about the wide FOV stretching but that is my only worry. As a strictly sitting VR cockpit based requirement, I don't need controllers or roomscale. I tried both with my Rift and was very underwhelmed. Truth be told, I was underwhelmed with Rift in general because of atrocious IQ and resolution. The Pimax 8k (even 5k) and the new Windows MR HMDs are at least tackling the low resolution problems.

You should try Alien Isolation or Dying Light on the Rift / Vive. Games with good graphics look good (remember to turn up super sampling). The problem with higher resolution is the hardware requirement. We still don't have a single card 4k solution and people are looking at 2 4k panels in the Pimax. Not to mention the fact that a huge number of people with a Rift or Vive are in the minimum spec bracket. The new MR headsets have a higher resolution but very poor tracking, fine if you want to watch a movie but I find a normal desktop panel to be much better for that.

Just grabbed Raw Data on Steam as it is out of early access and noticed a support request for the Pimax 200 FOV. The devs responded with 'We are always evaluating new VR tech as it becomes available, but we have no current plans to add this support for Raw Data at this time.'. Interested in the Pimax myself but I see it as being a year away before it is a replacement for the Rift / Vive.

Soldato
You should try Alien Isolation or Dying Light on the Rift / Vive. Games with good graphics look good (remember to turn up super sampling). The problem with higher resolution is the hardware requirement. We still don't have a single card 4k solution and people are looking at 2 4k panels in the Pimax. Not to mention the fact that a huge number of people with a Rift or Vive are in the minimum spec bracket. The new MR headsets have a higher resolution but very poor tracking, fine if you want to watch a movie but I find a normal desktop panel to be much better for that.

I tried plenty of games over my 8 months of ownership with the Rift CV1 and while I enjoyed the experience of VR, the one thing that always stood out was poor resolution and atrocious IQ.

God Rays
Resolution
SDE
Scuba goggle FOV
Among others

Sitting in a cockpit of a plane, totally unable to read the dials without leaning (and even that was touch and go) in was unbearable to me. Even using supersampling barely helped.

As a purely non room scale cockpit games only person I have no interest in hand controllers or super accurate roomscale tracking. 6DoF for driving and flight games will be perfectly fine. I honestly find it comical that many are declaring Rift and Vive as some sort of magical yardstick to judge all other HMDs with. Both have atrociously poor IQ issues and IMHO are in no way close to what is acceptable as an experience graphically.

When my Rift broke out of warranty I did not for one second feel the need to get another one. More often than not I much preferred playing my sims on a 4k 32" monitor. The clarity and IQ left the joke that was Rift CV1 unusable in comparison.

VR is a great experience and I want it again, but not the atrociously poor IQ of Rift (supersampling or not). For that reason the likes of the new MR devices with 1440x1440 or 1440x1600, or the Pimax 8K are far more intriguing to me.

Removal of SDE
Increased resolution
Reduction/elimination of god rays
Better FOV

These are what I will look for in my next HMD. The Pimax 8K should tick all of those boxes and is compatible with Vive lighthouses, so 6DoF is possible. The Samsung Odyssey also look very promising apart from the FOV.

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I tried plenty of games over my 8 months of ownership with the Rift CV1 and while I enjoyed the experience of VR, the one thing that always stood out was poor resolution and atrocious IQ.

God Rays
Resolution
SDE
Scuba goggle FOV
Among others

Sitting in a cockpit of a plane, totally unable to read the dials without leaning (and even that was touch and go) in was unbearable to me. Even using supersampling barely helped.

As a purely non room scale cockpit games only person I have no interest in hand controllers or super accurate roomscale tracking. 6DoF for driving and flight games will be perfectly fine. I honestly find it comical that many are declaring Rift and Vive as some sort of magical yardstick to judge all other HMDs with. Both have atrociously poor IQ issues and IMHO are in no way close to what is acceptable as an experience graphically.

When my Rift broke out of warranty I did not for one second feel the need to get another one. More often than not I much preferred playing my sims on a 4k 32" monitor. The clarity and IQ left the joke that was Rift CV1 unusable in comparison.

VR is a great experience and I want it again, but not the atrociously poor IQ of Rift (supersampling or not). For that reason the likes of the new MR devices with 1440x1440 or 1440x1600, or the Pimax 8K are far more intriguing to me.

Removal of SDE
Increased resolution
Reduction/elimination of god rays
Better FOV

These are what I will look for in my next HMD. The Pimax 8K should tick all of those boxes and is compatible with Vive lighthouses, so 6DoF is possible. The Samsung Odyssey also look very promising apart from the FOV.
Yeah. I find it annoying playing on 1080p on a monitor and see a huge difference going to 4K. This would be even more important when your eye is right up against the screen with VR. That is why I never bothered with CV1 or Vive. I want to be blown away, not put of when I buy my VR headset. Sure PPI is much higher as screen is smaller, but it is still super close to eyes.

Let's see what the Samsung one offers, but it probably won't be good enough either. Pimax 8K sounds interesting.

Soldato
Yeah. I find it annoying playing on 1080p on a monitor and see a huge difference going to 4K. This would be even more important when your eye is right up against the screen with VR. That is why I never bothered with CV1 or Vive. I want to be blown away, not put of when I buy my VR headset. Sure PPI is much higher as screen is smaller, but it is still super close to eyes.

Let's see what the Samsung one offers, but it probably won't be good enough either. Pimax 8K sounds interesting.

I got my Rift Cv1 with touch controllers second hand. My first VR experience was with a used DK2 and the experience itself did blow me away but the very low resolution had me selling it less than a week later. I then got the CV1 and while it was improved, the resolution and in some cases even worse IQ (god rays were not as bad on DK2) always left me very underwhelmed.

VR experience is astounding, it's just the HMD IQ and resolution that's the problem IMHO. The new Samsung Odyssey and Pimax 8k stuff is at least attempting to address these issues.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I got my Rift Cv1 with touch controllers second hand. My first VR experience was with a used DK2 and the experience itself did blow me away but the very low resolution had me selling it less than a week later. I then got the CV1 and while it was improved, the resolution and in some cases even worse IQ (god rays were not as bad on DK2) always left me very underwhelmed.

VR experience is astounding, it's just the HMD IQ and resolution that's the problem IMHO. The new Samsung Odyssey and Pimax 8k stuff is at least attempting to address these issues.
I am looking forward to it. Just not in a rush as I have other games to play and while doing so I am happy to wait for the VR kit and experience to mature to a point we get rid of all the drawbacks of the current hardware. Also still no killer apps as far as I am concerned. But I am sure there will be something that will come out in the next couple of years.

Looking forward to playing Resident Evil 7 in VR in the future. I am hoping they make another resident evil with even more vr integration.

Associate
OP
As a racing game junky, I love my Rift. I'm not blind though, watching a replay on my monitor reminds me how bad the resolution is. It's back to Standard Definition when you've been used to HD. I played with triples previously and that was good and nice visually but I'm not very particular about the graphics if I'm honest. That's why the extra immersion of VR won me over, that and the fact I've lived with crap eyesight since I was 8, so I'm used to a bit of blur on occasion. I'm usually looking at the track ahead, I very rarely look at dials but when I do I can see what I need to. It's the limit of the current tech and I accept it as it is, but I've also backed the Pimax 8k in the hope of improvement (although it will be a costly upgrade because I will need a new 1080ti build PC to run it).

Everyone has to decide for themselves what's important to them when they're spending their hard earned. I personally think it's good to exchange views and discuss with people who have a different view, the world would very boring if we all held the same opinions about stuff.

Soldato
Racing games in VR are easily the best experience of VR. The lower res is not as big a deal as not seeing text on aircraft dials or even HUDs clearly. So I can see why you are happy with Rift playing racing games/sims. As you say each to their own and some will forgive low res and IQ problems because the experience of being there really is stunning.

Last edited:
Don
Looking forward to trying these new Windows headsets out. I'm not expecting the hand control tracking to be any cop at all (how can it track the controllers if they are by your side or above your head? It can't as the tracking cameras are on the headset) but for seated sims and driving I reckon they are going to be outstanding with the increased resolution.

Soldato
Looking forward to trying these new Windows headsets out. I'm not expecting the hand control tracking to be any cop at all (how can it track the controllers if they are by your side or above your head? It can't as the tracking cameras are on the headset) but for seated sims and driving I reckon they are going to be outstanding with the increased resolution.

thought they switched over to using IMUs when optical tracking is lost?

Back
Top Bottom