Samsung Odyssey

Soldato
I am sure the Odyssey has better image quality and that can be proved without doubt.

Thank you, because this is my only point and was purely in response to the "I tried it at a buddies house for a few minutes and IQ was no better". I am not referring to the entire overall experience, only purely from an IQ perspective when done during controlled and extended testing.

When I say "IQ is overall superior on Odyssey compared to Rift". Someone ignoring that point and replying with "it costs more and has no support" is indeed a red herring, because neither point addresses or refutes the point I made.

If you want me to give a more detailed review I am happy to do so. Because there are areas it is decidedly weak in comparison to CV1.

Soldato
Thank you, because this is my only point and was purely in response to the "I tried it at a buddies house for a few minutes and IQ was no better". I am not referring to the entire overall experience, only purely from an IQ perspective when done during controlled and extended testing.

When I say "IQ is overall superior on Odyssey compared to Rift". Someone ignoring that point and replying with "it costs more and has no support" is indeed a red herring, because neither point addresses or refutes the point I made.

If you want me to give a more detailed review I am happy to do so. Because there are areas it is decidedly weak in comparison to CV1.

I am talking purely IQ quality too.

Nobody on this thread said they tried it at a buddies house. And I don't think anybody is arguing that the image quality is better. The discussion is purely how much better. You think it's a massive improvement, others don't think it is at all, even keeping their Rift/Vive and returning the Odyssey.

It goes back to the first couple of pages of this thread, where you were saying 80% improved resolution and quoting articles saying no SDE. But, the reality is that the Odyssey has SDE and the 80% resolution increase hasn't made a big a difference as it sounds on paper. And again, just from the IQ side of things, there are still areas where the Rift and Vive are better.

I am basing my opinion on the thoughts of those people who have tried both side by side.

Soldato

Nobody on this thread said they tried it at a buddies house. And I don't think anybody is arguing that the image quality is better. The discussion is purely how much better. You think it's a massive improvement, others don't think it is at all, even keeping their Rift/Vive and returning the Odyssey.

It goes back to the first couple of pages of this thread, where you were saying 80% improved resolution and quoting articles saying no SDE. But, the reality is that the Odyssey has SDE and the 80% resolution increase hasn't made a big a difference as it sounds on paper. And again, just from the IQ side of things, there are still areas where the Rift and Vive are better.

I am basing my opinion on the thoughts of those people who have tried both side by side.

Actually I did on the previous page ;)

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/31527681/

I noticed a small bump in res over the Rift but nothing that would make me go out and swap my Rift out for it, But it is a step in the right direction purely from a layman's viewpoint.

Soldato
Actually I did on the previous page ;)

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/31527681/

I noticed a small bump in res over the Rift but nothing that would make me go out and swap my Rift out for it, But it is a step in the right direction purely from a layman's viewpoint.

Ah, ok, apologies then, I was wrong, don't know how I missed that post.

You aren't the only person who didn't notice a massive difference. But then there are other people who do see a big difference. So I am still wondering is it something to do with the pentile display that Samsung use? Because if the difference was as large as IDCP claims, then it would be slam dunk, and nobody would be keeping their Rift over the Odyssey.

Soldato

My post on the first page relating to resolution is indeed acurate, there is ~80% higher resolution going by pure number of pixels. This would give a roughly 33% improvment in PPI if we go by the almost indentical stated FOV (110 deg) and screen size (90mm) of CV1 and Odyssey.

CV1 has 461 PPI, Odyssey has 615.

Now obviously SDE has a part to play but I would say we are looking at around a 25% - 30% improvement in clarity for an Odyssey over a CV1. This is what I would qualify as a very noticeable improvement. Not "wow amazing", but it is noticeable.

Here is a screenshot through the lens comparing Rift CV1 and Odyssey HMD Image quality. These are zoomed in so SDE is exagerated on both but it is clear there is a noticeable improvement on the Odyssey compared to the CV1. I wouldn't say next gen leap but a jump in IQ none the less.
Rift%20vs%20Odyssey_zps0yo8t903.jpg~original

Last edited:
Soldato
Ah, ok, apologies then, I was wrong, don't know how I missed that post.

You aren't the only person who didn't notice a massive difference. But then there are other people who do see a big difference. So I am still wondering is it something to do with the pentile display that Samsung use? Because if the difference was as large as IDCP claims, then it would be slam dunk, and nobody would be keeping their Rift over the Odyssey.

Please find a quote where I claim it is a large difference. The best I have stated re improvement is as very noticeable, or noticeably superior. I know this may be a down to a misunderstanding based on what you and I interperet "noticeably superior" to mean. So apologies if I infered otherwise but for me this is not stating there is a large improvement but a noticeable one.

Last edited:
Associate
The Odyssey has no availability in the UK, so it's a moot point. There's no denying that it has better image quality than the Rift or Vive, however the controllers leave much to be desired, and the tracking is lacklustre for anything other than seated play. I wouldn't even consider it at this point. If you want a premium device, you're better off waiting for the Vive Pro.

Permabanned
My post on the first page relating to resolution is indeed acurate, there is ~80% higher resolution going by pure number of pixels. This would give a roughly 33% improvment in PPI if we go by the almost indentical stated FOV (110 deg) and screen size (90mm) of CV1 and Odyssey.

CV1 has 461 PPI, Odyssey has 615.

Now obviously SDE has a part to play but I would say we are looking at around a 25% - 30% improvement in clarity for an Odyssey over a CV1. This is what I would qualify as a very noticeable improvement. Not "wow amazing", but it is noticeable.

Here is a screenshot through the lens comparing Rift CV1 and Odyssey HMD Image quality. These are zoomed in so SDE is exagerated on both but it is clear there is a noticeable improvement on the Odyssey compared to the CV1. I wouldn't say next gen leap but a jump in IQ none the less.
Rift%20vs%20Odyssey_zps0yo8t903.jpg~original

That is sure a lot of difference! I am wondering when the next incarnation of Oculus will come.

Soldato
Please find a quote where I claim it is a large difference. The best I have stated re improvement is as very noticeable, or noticeably superior. I know this may be a down to a misunderstanding based on what you and I interperet "noticeably superior" to mean. So apologies if I infered otherwise but for me this is not stating there is a large improvement but a noticeable one.

I guess I mistook your comments about been noticeably superior, a very noticeable improvement and that other people must be reviewing it with their eyes closed as meaning that you can see a large difference between the two.

Dicehunter didn't say he didn't notice any IQ difference, he just claimed that he didn't see much difference. He quantified that in a later post saying it was small bump in res, not worth changing over for. Vega thought the same.

SO maybe it's just my understanding of words like Noticeably superior and a very noticeable improvement would mean picture quality increase that would make anyone looking want to switch over. For me it sounds like it's a bit better, probably not enough to make you switch over if you have a Rift or Vive already but definitely on the right track. But for someone who doesn't have a headset and is looking to get into VR, it sounds like it would be amazing and if you did put on Rift after using only the Odyssey you would probably be like, "this is terrible!!"

You can't ever go back to lower resolution!!

Associate
Tracking over resolution for me. 1yr ago I wouldve said the opposite. Nothing worse than tracking that isnt 100%. Give me the best graphics and im in heaven, until I play elevens table tennis and keep losing points because the tracking is a step back.
But as said earlier in this thread... If you have tried vive or oculus roomscale and decided its not for you. Then the Samsung feels like an easy recommendation for those wanting best IQ. However, if you havent tried room scale tracking and feel you want the best IQ, I would say try out room scale first. Chances are youll want it going forwards.
I say this, as I went rift before touch because I underestimated the roomscale as gimmicky. I went for IQ, turns out when touch came that I very quickly realised the importance of roomscale and the tracking solution it provides.

Associate
i've got a samsung odyssey, and will be keeping it.

it's not a perfect replacement for my vive because out of the box it is very uncomfortable, as it tends to block the nose when worn properly.

in fact, for the first two days i had it, i was wearing it incorrectly, i.e. opting for a comfortable fit instead of finding the sweet spot, and wasn't too impressed with the screens. however, when i finally shoved it around my nose properly, a lot of the image problems went away.

to compare with the vive, i would say:
  • SO has a worse screen door effect - the view has a much greater fish eye lens feel about it.
  • Lenses are worse on the SO. There is a noticeable border around the edge of the screen. For comparison, this is more annoying and visible than the green / blue line that comes with the tpcast. i've also noticed more chromatic aberration - e.g. additional colours around the edges of black lines etc.
  • tracking is worse than a vive, but it is possible to live with this once you understand how it works.
  • speaker placement is not as good as DAS. i can see why people are saying that the speakers don't reach their ears. it was the same for me until i really squashed the thing on my head and found an extra inch.
  • the resolution bump is definitely good, and balances out the other problems with the visuals. I'm now convinced that extra resolution is not going to be the best thing since sliced bread unless it is paired with better optics - there's a big chance that better resolution increases the visibility of other problems e.g. SDE - so it will be interesting to see how the Vive Pro turns out.
I'm hoping that Vive Pro will be significantly better than the Odyssey, not long to wait now!

Soldato
OMG this odyssey is amazing!.... Coming from a vive and a deepoon E3..... Colours and everything is great...

FOV seems more than vive to me and defo more than E3

Comfort is perfect.. Just wish headphones were a little lower

One happy guy

Associate
I think you are jumping the gun a little here. The specs sound good on paper but I don't think any of the Windows VR headsets will be as good a solution for VR as the Rift or the Vive. According to one review, the tracking is pretty jumpy, there is a noticeable screen door effect and the Rift and Vive both have wider FOV. The display is sharper though, but, it's still based on Fresnel lenses.

To my mind a better VR headset will be one that is an upgrade from the Vive or Rift. These Windows headsets aren't an upgrade.
According some reviews the screen door effect is barely noticeable: http://bestvr.tech/best-windows-mixed-reality-headsets-2018/

Associate
And yet, it's still noticeable. Things are improving, just not enough for me and others to change from our current headset.

There are starving children in the Third World who'd give their right arm for a WMR headset - even if it dooz show screen door effect! (PS When I were yung, we 'ad tp live in shoe box - all 'undred and eighty six of us!")

In other words: we people of the industrial world are spoiled.

Back
Top Bottom