Samsung SA850 - 27" PLS LED Monitor

Associate
That looks a cracking monitor

I have a Px2370 and despite its obvious flaws its still bloody good.

I am sure this will be a big improvement over the TN Panel they use it this

Soldato
Many people are interested in this and this could explain some internal confusion in Samsung themselves (and their PR people) regarding the whole 24" S24A850DW debacle. In case you were unaware they issued a press release stating that the 24" PLS panel montitor would be 1920 x 1080 - which went against other information regarding panels and future retail stock. Thanks for pointing this document out.

Associate
I've been waiting for the Hazro WC model to come back in stock, and I'm tired of it. Is there any reason I shouldn't get this monitor instead. I know the early preview had low contrast, but maybe they fixed that?

Associate
23" PLS panel also listed on Samsungs website at 1920 x 1080. that leaves them with a 24" 1920 x 1200, 23" 1920 x 1080 and 27" 2560 x 1440 :)

http://www.samsung.com/global/business/lcdpanel/product/monitor.html

It gets more obvious that PLS is a little bit tweaked IPS. Which available IPS panels are available on the market?

23" 1920x1080, 24" 1920x1200 and 27" 2560x1440. Not a chance that it is a coincidence that PLS will be in the exactly same resolutions and sizes. Still PLS looks more intresting than IPS because of less heavy anti glare coating.

Last edited:
Soldato
I think it was fairly obvious from the off that these were designed to go head on with LG and their IPS panel monitors. I am sure this will also be a developing technology, much like IPS has been, so we will see further PLS panels down the line. The screen surface is certainly a potential advantage of PLS for many people (need to see it myself first to judge properly) and I hope LG will see this. I have been discussing this with Dell too who are one of LG's largest partners.

Associate
Strange that there are no reviews of these yet considering people can buy them in the states already. Probably be getting one of these as soon as they arrive in the UK.

Soldato
Whats the antiglare coating like?
When is the release date?

I need a monitor next week as the one i currently have is being collected

Soldato
Do you think I should wait a week or so for the Samsung with no reviews or get the Hazro HZ27WC 8-Bit 27" LED Widescreen Professional Glass Monitor - Black, as its on this week only offer for £400

Soldato
It depends on your budget. There are no guarantees that the S27A850D is actually going to be released in the UK at the end of August or beginning of September. The SA750 was originally due in March and it still hasn't been released here. :rolleyes: Either way it will not be as cheap as the Hazro!

Soldato
It depends on your budget. There are no guarantees that the S27A850D is actually going to be released in the UK at the end of August or beginning of September. The SA750 was originally due in March and it still hasn't been released here. :rolleyes: Either way it will not be as cheap as the Hazro!

Its for sale in the UK now

£590.39 £491.99 (exc vat)

My U2711 cost me £590 so its within budget, if I get the Hazro I can get a graphics card too

Edit - just called the company and its a mistake, ETA is 30/08

Last edited:
Soldato
Even if the company does get stock at the end of the month it will be in very limited quantities - official UK release schedule is a bit sketchy. Also could you PM me the name of this company as I want to check some things out and discuss some things with Samsung. If it contains a letter of the Greek alphabet then don't become disappointed if the ETA of stock gets pushed back further on the 30th. This company is notorious for putting up products way before stock is actually expected to lure people in. Also I wouldn't expect any proper reviews of the monitor to be published until the end of next month at the earliest, either - so you might be going in 'blind'. I have faith that it will be a good monitor and you'd be very happy with it but until I've tested it myself properly I can't really give an opinion. I would have at least hoped Eric Franklin over at the other side of the pond would have been able to chime in with his thoughts by now but it seems not.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom