Samsung Targets Gamers With 3 Extremely Fast 990 Pro NVMe SSDs

This is true. And I should have waited really to see those benchmarks.

I alway buy Samsung SSDs but the 990 pro isn't out yet. I just bought a 5800x3d and even on that I should have waited for Black Friday.

But still the sn850x is cheaper, comes with heat sink and according to her is the fast for gaming scenarios so it can't be that bad when it comes to direct storage. It seems to be a drive also aimed at the PS5.
Let me know how the 5800x3d goes, i have 3080fe too. Do you game at 1440p Opeth?

Has anyone received theirs yet? Mine was due yesterday but didn’t arrive.

Still takes a while to load up Adobe products or performing System Restores, even with SSD.

From the numbers the IOPS have seem to have had a bigger jump this time. So will be interesting to see.
I don't really care about the sequential read times.
Adobe apps aren't simply just loading the app the moment you click the icon. A whole slew of background services are being interrogated to verify the app, check license, connect to Adobe to check for updates etc. The whole Creative Cloud ecosystem plasters loads of services that load at Startup (I have them disabled) - But they still have to interrogate those services regardless of that when you click the Photoshop icon for example.

I am ordering the 2TB 990 Pro, upgrading from a 970 Evo plus, so quite a sizeable upgrade and am expecting to see a noticeable boost in Lightroom performance when flicking between photos just like I did when cloning from from SATA SSD to NVMe.

Last edited:
My results Random 4K from Crystaldiskmark
No point doing sequential as its in a PCI Express 3 slot.
Think my X370 board is holding it back.

image.png

Last edited:
Damn, I'm getting nowhere near this benchmark I found from here.

ok the 2TB one does have a little advantage in 4k IOPS Q32 IOPS

RANDOM READ (4KB, QD32)​

1TB: Up to 1,200,000 IOPS
2TB: Up to 1,400,000 IOPS

Samsung-990-Pro-Gen4-2-TB-NVMe-M-2-SSD-Crystal-Disk-Mark-Bench.png

Last edited:
Mine are on the way. I expect everyone else’s should be arriving soon also.

RANDOM READ (4KB, QD32)​

Nice, but nowhere near my Intel Optane which has over double the random 4K read. Makes for a great OS drive :D

RANDOM READ (4KB, QD32)​

Getting this on mine, fresh Windows 11 install, X670E board. Not sure if there is anything I can tweak to improve where mine is slower than above?

ym7hMOJ.jpg

Glad I waited, just got a birthday email from Samsung with 15% off, meaning can get the 2TB version for £204 which seems to be the cheapest anywhere with the voucher. - Worth it right? The voucher is only valid until the 31st!

Edit*

Ordered. Paid via Samsung Pay and got an extra £10 instant cashback. Total coming to £194 :cool:

Now once installed I'll sell the 970 Evo Plus 1TB and get a chunk of money back that way. Superb upgrade!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom