Sansaire sous vide circulator

Associate
I've gone for the latest revision of something Moses suggested earlier in this thread.

I had a second-hand Foodsaver V3040 for a while but it gave up the ghost and spares weren't readily available. I've also used a Takaje Family for a period of time, until getting annoyed with it and sending it back.

Hoping for better things from the Eiffel.

Thanks for that and the update. Think I'll be getting the Eiffel then and trying that out :).

Of course until I get the bug and decide I really need a chamber vacuum sealer ;)

Soldato
OP
Thanks for that and the update. Think I'll be getting the Eiffel then and trying that out :)
I went for this one - given the accessories are effectively 'free' over the standard selling price it was a no-brainer.

Of course until I get the bug and decide I really need a chamber vacuum sealer ;)
Vacuum-infusion?

I'm sort of hoping the Eiffel will let me achieve something similar with its marinator canisters... but I really fancy a chamber sealer as well!

Soldato
I need that eiffel. The AJ is just too sack. Doesn't pull enough at all. Did a shoulder of pork to keep it marinating overnight and it was so hard to get it to suck well and in the end it wasn't a really tight vacuum! When my sancaire comes I'm ordering an eiffel.

Man of Honour
Semi related - this weekend I experimented with sous-viding a joint of pork before finishing it off with a hot smoking. End result was really damn awesome and from now on all pulled pork / brisket stuff I do will be made in a similar way. Process was to add rub to meat, sous-vide (at 72C but I will do much lower next time) for ~20 hours. After that, drain, dry, apply more rub and then stick in to "low and slow" for about two hours. Came out pretty much perfect :)

Soldato
I've got an Anova on order as a birthday present for my 30th.

http://anovaculinary.com

Looking forward to getting my hands on it, just looking in to options for vacuum sealer now, is the Eiffel one my best bet? The James Allen one is only £40 but people in this thread seem to suggest to avoid it.

Also does anyone have any cookbook recommendations to go with it?

Last edited:
Associate
So planning on some lovely steaks from Turner & George once my Sansaire arrives in the next few weeks.

Just wondering what people are planning to do when cooking steak. Sear in a blisteringly hot cast-iron skillet, or flame-thrower approach with a blow torch? Interested to know what blow torches people have/are using and if you find it leaves any weird taste/flavors? That's the main thing keeping me from buying a blow-torch at the moment!

Man of Honour
I've got quite a powerful blowtorch but I find the wetness of steak just out of the sousvide tends to make it much less effective than simply using a cast iron pan (then "touching-up" with blow torch).

Associate
In terms of blowtorches, Modernist Cuisine recommend MAPP or propylene over butane or propane (page 43 of the PDF I'm sending you once it's uploaded ;)). Obviously there's a cost involved and people get great results with pans... but who doesn't want a big blowtorch in the house?

Exactly - any excuse to get a blowtorch :D

I've got quite a powerful blowtorch but I find the wetness of steak just out of the sousvide tends to make it much less effective than simply using a cast iron pan (then "touching-up" with blow torch).

Interesting - sounds like I'm going to have to force myself to buy/eat lots of steak to decide what method I prefer ;)

Soldato
It’s been a busy two weeks since our last update! We’ve shipped just over 4,500 units so far to Kickstarter backers and pre-order customers, and we’re thrilled to finally have Sansiares in the wild. Thank you all for your support and patience throughout this entire process – we can’t tell you how much we appreciate it!

Shipping Still in Progress

If you haven’t yet received your Sansaire, it won’t be long now! Our Canadian shipment will leave Seattle on Tuesday, headed for our Vancouver warehouse. We don’t know how long it will take to clear customs, but we’ll keep you updated once we’re in the country and at the warehouse. Our cargo ship to Europe was delayed in transit, but is expected to arrive at the port in the UK tomorrow. We’ve been told to expect 1-2 weeks processing time in customs, but we’ll let you know as soon as we have a better estimate!

Sigh.

Soldato
OP
Have you experimented with that, yet? Any joy?
I have a test in progress and should hopefully be able to update the thread with results over the weekend.

I've got cauliflower florets pickling in my fridge at the moment and I'm aiming to try comparing results from the Eiffel's marinating canister with florets that have been pickling for 36, 24 and 12 hours.

Fingers crossed!

Soldato
OP
Well, the marinator canisters appear to do precisely sod all for pickling, despite seeming to have a very effective vacuum seal.

Oh well, back to the drawing board on that idea then.

Back
Top Bottom