Sansaire sous vide circulator

Associate
I could n't resist it, had to make eggs on toast. The eggs were cooked at 65.5 C. Sorry if the photography and plating are n't up to the usual standards. :p

The eggs slid out of the shells when cracked, and the yoke was the texture of cream. All in all, pretty pleased with it. I do need to get a smaller water container though.

161e4w1.jpg

2d8l10.jpg

Soldato
Mine arrived earlier today :)
I've been away for the weekend and got back to a Hermes note earlier expecting to have to go and collect it from somewhere, but they'd left it inside a cupboard on my drive so I have it in my possession already.

Now just to cook something with it. May see if I can make a stop off at the Ginger Pig this week to get a few bits and pieces.

Associate
So far I've done eggs and then steak (provided by Turner & George) last night. Both were excellent. Perfect steak, exactly how everyone wanted it without any fuss.

63C for those wanting Medium - Well, 57C for me (Medium - Rare) and then a quick 50 seconds each side in a smoking hot cast iron skillet with some butter to sear.

Initial feedback is that the Sansaire is super-easy to use. Set it to the target temp (nice and easy with the dial), leave it for 10-15 mins to come up to temp in the container of water and then put the vacuum packed food into the water for the desired time to cook. Can't recommend it enough if you fancy trying out Sous-Vide cooking :)

Associate
Also quick addition to say that the Eiffel vacuum sealer works great as well. Super easy to use and a lot quieter than I was expecting.

Associate
Well I've switched mine on just to make sure it works and gets up to temperature which it does, it's a bit noisy though, I've not tried adjusting the clip yet.

Man of Honour
This, although it wouldn't get a huge amount of use.
Be like so many other kitchen equipment, sat taking space and used a handful of tomes a year.

My basic sousvide machine actually gets quite a lot of use. It's really good for tons of stuff and you can pre-cook a load of things (e.g. bbq brisket, pulled pork, confit, etc), keep them in the fridge/freezer and then just re-heat them when needed.

Despite my normal dislike of re-heated stuff, sousvide pre-cooking actually creates something that is often better than what you'd get if you were cooking just from fresh.

Obviously not applicable to *everything* but it works for a lot of stuff.

Soldato
This, although it wouldn't get a huge amount of use.
Be like so many other kitchen equipment, sat taking space and used a handful of tomes a year.

The thing is though, it is as such a size you can store it in a cupboard or anywhere. It isn't much larger than a hand blender really. Unlike the old sous vide machines which sat on the work top.

Unboxed mine last night. Looks good. I'll try out some pork belly in it this week as I've just taken a massive slab out the freezer, so it'll be interesting to try out.

Caporegime
The point is to cook something to "perfection" ? which is a subjective term as I like my egg whites harder than my egg yoke but anyway horses and courses. I am also trying to think what else I can cook with this apart from steak as let's face it, I am hardly going to have steak 3 times a week so to prevent it becoming one of those gadgets that disappears into the void of the kitchen cupboard together with my George foreman grill, I am trying to think of more things that tastes nice with this kind of cooking method.

Steak, yeah, I can see that, although I do like the cooked and slight crunch on the outside.
Vegetables – does it taste any nicer than 3 min in boiling water?

I mean things like chicken or any poultry is out, I really am struggling to think of food that tastes nice half cooked apart from steak. I am trying to expand my horizon here so please enlighten me. :)

Man of Honour
Why is chicken/poultry out? Cooking chicken in the sous vide makes for amazing food. Or do you just not eat chicken?

Egg whites harder than your yolks? That's exactly what you'd get with sousvide eggs (and non-sousvide eggs tbh).

There are tons of options. Vegetables are a bit more hassle (and as such I've note experimented with them much) but options for meat are pretty much endless. Although it may take longer to cook the food you don't need to baby sit it and it often doesn't matter if you cook for too long so the potential effort/hassle savings are huge.

You don't "half-cook" everything. You cook the food to the exact point that you want it to be cooked to and no further.

Back
Top Bottom