• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Sapphire AMD Deals

Soldato
Do you have the AMD metrics overlay enabled, or AMD instant replay (in ReLive settings)? Or any of the iChill or other settings on?
No to all.

I did notice my HOTAS throttle was playing up (if I connect it to the wrong USB port it doesn't register properly and blips in and out, so I swapped it to the correct USB port.

Then I did another run and got 23111 with CPU score 12039 so back close to where I was before. Perhaps it was that USB port issue taking up some CPU headroom.

What undervolt is reasonable? Stock is 1100 mV, Ive been testing 1075 mV, can I go lower?

Last edited:
Associate
Well.... New higher rated HDMI cable is in and the sound issue is still present. Not noticed any flickering yet but it occured to me earlier that I've still got a generic cable from the AV receiver to the TV, so might have to try running the GPU direct to the TV and just sound out via ARC to the AV later... If that doesn't improve things I'm not sure what I can do
Well I plugged the HDMI from the card directly in to the TV and running sound out to the amp via ARC, this seems to have completely solved the audio drop out issue (for the time being at least!)....subjectively it seems like the sound isn't as 'bright' as it was going through the amp but I guess I can live with this for now....searching online it seems the issue has been present with AMD since at least 2020 with no resolution so won't be holding my breath for a proper fix....

It's at least good enough for me to not return the card :)

Associate
This was my thoughts as well. Sub £700 is where I feel the 7800 XT 7900 XT should always have been priced. I was planning to get Starfield Premium at £65 from CD Keys and get a 7800 series as an upgrade for my son’s 6700XT running at 1440p. My thoughts are the 7800 will be £550 - £600 and by then the Starfield code might not be available on an AMD deal.

So a 7900 XT for £635 after the Starfield code savings had removed my psychological and principled reasoning not to buy. And will give quite a bit more performance than the 7800 I was waiting for.

I already have a 4080FE but only because I got it used for £900. It is an excellent GPU and I cannot fault it technically, other than the 16GB VRAM “will it won’t it last” mild worry. This 7900XT is not much slower in raster and still beats my old 3080 in RT. The 4080 is undoubtedly a better GPU than this, but no chance in hell is it worth almost £500 more than this GPU at current prices. RT on my 4080 still requires up scaling tech to get playable FPS at 4K. The difference between the 4080 and the 7900 XT in RT is to use balanced or performance instead of quality in FSR. And in raster it’s pretty much a wash with ~10% stock vs stock to the 4080.

Nvidia and AMD release pricing was a joke and still is apart from the odd deal like this one. So this is not AMD coming to their senses, this is Gibbo and OCUK doing PC gamers a solid. Had AMD released the 7900 XT at £700 or even £750 instead of £899, they would have massively increased their credibility and more importantly destroyed Nvidia’s in the process.

AMD got greedy.

It looks like we was thinking the same thing, I was even thinking 7800/7900 for my son's build. Totally agree with everything you said

Associate
I posted some benchmarks in the owner thread.

Timespy:
3070 FE - 13349
7900 XT stock - 21846
7900 XT +15 PL -25mV - 22897

But between the 3070 FE and stock 7900 XT I have lost nearly 1000 points on CPU score. From 12084 with the 3070 to 11142 with the 7900 XT. Anyone know why this might be?

TBH I was expecting to come in above average timespy score with a 5800X3D and 32 Gb of 3600 memory. To come in slightly below expectations (average for 7900 XT is 22240) is a little disappointing.

Pulse 7900 XT stock with 5800X3D, Kingston Fury 3600MHz RAM, ROG STRIX B550 mobo, SAM enabled, scored 22151 on Time Spy: graphics 26,281, CPU 11,717.

I bought my card a few days before the promotion and OC have just refunded me the difference :D

Last edited:
Soldato
VR update!

If you've seen any of my previous posts you'll know my main use is VR flight sim these days. Was concerned that 7900 XT (being AMD) wouldn't do very well considering the 'known' issues and the weaker encoder.

Well Ive just had an hour on flight sim. And I can say Im pretty pleased with it.

Getting 40fps pretty continually (with 10ms CPU, 8ms headset, 20ms GPU latencies) running settings as follows:
120% supersampling
TLA
Ultra textures.
High terrain, buildings, clouds, shadows
100 terrain and object LOD.
Various other settings on high or ultra.

VRAM usage is between 8-10Gb.

The only thing to note though is that Oculus software seems to think my computer doesn't meet its min specs for VR (I get a message in Oculus software stating this).

More testing needed but its looking pretty good.

Last edited:
Soldato
@Gibbo any chance we can get the 7900XT back to £699 again? I feel like I’ve missed out and I don’t think the upcoming 7800 etc will be worth it.

It’s sad that we have to rely on vendor specials to get GPUs at realistic prices. I was holding out for 6900 XT speeds for £600 and hoping the 7800 would deliver. I almost bought the Powercolor 6800 XT Red Dragon at £499 with Starfield Premium code as that would still be 35% faster than the 6700 XT. But then the 7900 XT deal was added by Gibbo and that was what I went for.

Honestly that 6800 XT at £499 is still a great price.

Soldato
Been messing about with VR tonight.

My initial thoughts were premature.

When I enter VR via the oculus grid area and view my desktop, the clarity is perfect. But when I launch msfs and enter VR there, the grid shimmers and vibrates, and is considerably lower quality.

The game itself runs at 40fps with mix of medium and high settings. But something is off with the visuals. Look through the glass in the cockpit and there are distortions. The image on the whole feels a bit blurry and unclear.

I will try more VR games tomorrow to see if this is a wider problem or an msfs problem.

nej

nej

Associate
I'm looking at preordering the Sapphire Radeon RX 6700 XT Pulse Gaming 12GB GDDR6 PCI-Express Graphics Card with starfield included for an older pc. it's £300 +£8 delivery to preorder but I've seen reviews saying people have bought it for around £230 with other games included free. Does anyone have it? Is it any good? I'm hoping it'll come with the premium starfield version with dlc but it doesn't say on the specs.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom