• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

SAPPHIRE RX 480 NITRO NOW AVAILABLE FOR PRE-ORDER AT OVERCLOCKERS UK (WORLD FIRST) !!!

Caporegime
That might be the dumbest possible explanation or actual design of a card yet. He bangs on about how they put holes in the PCB to let air be pushed through the heatsink and straight out to pcb, in a straight line in effect, to reduce the pressure.

Now the major problem with that is one there won't be large holes so it would be nearly pointless anyway as the majority of the air will be turbulent and being pushed sideways anyway. Second, and the biggest problem, they stuck a giant backplate onto the back of the pcb. So if there are holes in the PCB, they are all but covered on the back, what great design. Then if they are worried about reducing air pressure and giving it somewhere to escape, why have they covered up the entire length of the card on one edge with shrouding with one tiny hole in it. That will do nothing but slow down the airflow.

It doesn't look like a particularly bad card, but why make a more complex pcb that has holes put in it, it costs more money, and they serve basically no purpose even if you didn't cover them up on the other side... but you did.

So you apparently know better than their thermal design team? Ok, makes sense.....:rolleyes:

Associate
How many orders have you gotten so far gibbo?

Planning on getting one ordered tomorrow :) sexy card, especially that backplate

Associate
Looks like an interesting card...Going to give it a go and buy my first AMD card to play with while I wait for HBM2 NVidia options down the road. There are some passionate fans of AMD and I'd love to learn what AMD has to offer, in particular as my favourite game at the moment is a Ashes Of the Singularity.

Plus I believe the whole eco system benefits from having a strong AMD success at this price point.

Also might get into the expensive hobby of benchmarking...anyone have any guides or tips on how you can run AMD and Nvidia drivers on the same PC? Clearly not running both cards at the same time...but hoping that I don't have to uninstall drivers every time I switch cards

OcUK Staff
OP
How many orders have you gotten so far gibbo?

Planning on getting one ordered tomorrow :) sexy card, especially that backplate

No idea, its weekend. :)

Will check tomorrow in work but launching this card first in the world has had a lot of sites pointing at OcUK.

HeX

HeX

Soldato
Clocks listed as TBA yet people are buying them? I'd want to know what it is before parting with the cash myself.

Most people aren't fussed about the clocks, they'll just OC it further anyway.

They're paying for the improved PCB, and much much better cooling solution. The small OC provided is just a cherry on top.

261 pre-sold so far! :)

£65K worth of pre-orders, not bad for a weekends work :D

OcUK Staff
OP
Clocks listed as TBA yet people are buying them? I'd want to know what it is before parting with the cash myself.

People really do not care so much about clock speeds to be honest.

If it is 1325MHz or 1375MHz the performance difference no one would notice, only a benchmark.

People want the cards for the good looks, less noise, cooler running, RGB etc.

Soldato

If it is 1325MHz or 1375MHz the performance difference no one would notice, only a benchmark.

+1 to this, hopefully they overclock also, and not to mention they fixed the PCB with the Nitro apparently...

That alone should spur more sales, then add in the custom cooler again more sales, the fact it looks super good too is another bonus.

Overall i think Sapphire hit the ball outta the park with the aesthetics of this card.

Associate
Great looking card, and a decent price.. If this comes out and the people that actually know what they are talking about say it does compete in the market where it should.. I can finally upgrade my 6950..

Caporegime

Well its hardly a coincidence that your most ordered 1080 also just happens to have the highest boost clocks, the gigabyte card has the same but that was listed much later.

Soldato
no how should we know, nobody has it yet just wait xD

Pretty sure Sapphire Edd said during a stream "we have fixed the power delivery, yeah we fixed the PCB" or something along those lines, definitely said they had redesigned the power delivery on the card, they have added an 8 pin, so that in itself means they have changed the way the card delivers power right?

Soldato

Here is a problem, you have exclusive on the 1st AIB card but as yet we do not even know the potential performance advantage this brings even though we understand it will be cooler and does look better. Indeed 50Hz is not worth much but can it manage 1500, that is the question people are really wanting to know or if really 1400 is more the ceiling of these cards.

Many are obviously cautiously waiting more info both on this and the 1060. If reviews of the 1060 could drop on the 7th however (you know this better than others) so surely more information and review on this the first AIB is essential that it comes out soon also.

I see no rush to pre-order not knowing really what I am getting performance wise or indeed how it compares to their competition.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom