"Scone"

Soldato
panthro said:
Truth. Only poofters and toffs say Sk-own :p
Its well established that the majority of this board are Tory boys ;)
Majorty here prefer SKON.

Ergo I conclude SKON is for toffs
S-cone (sk-own) is where its at.
I'm not posh nor am I a bummer - I'm a country bumpkin ner ner ner ner!
:D

(Evidence, stick plums in your mouth (the fruit) and try and say Sk-own without spitting them out.. hard isnt it... thats because posh people who talk with plums in their mouth say SKON).

Man of Honour
Scone as in sk-own. I'm not pretentious, I just speak good english.

It has a "hard" c - like the word "cone" - therefore the "o" must be soft, and not hard as the "o" in "gone" - the reason the "o" is hard in "gone" is because the preceeding letter "g" is "soft".

Ultimately though it's a regional thing. :)

"Garidge" makes me cringe :/

Man of Honour
Pickers said:
(Evidence, stick plums in your mouth (the fruit) and try and say Sk-own without spitting them out.. hard isnt it... thats because posh people who talk with plums in their mouth say SKON).
Rubbish. It would be impossible to say skon in the way you describe. People say s-cone is the posh way because thats exactly how it would sound with the plums...

Mickey said:
No, not really.

Broad yorkshire is the way to go, the Leeds/Wakefield guys are all a bunch of southern wannabies if you ask me ;)
Ahem. 1, the first place in your location is Leeds and 2, who would want to be southern? Be off with you!

Soldato
We made 'Skons' in Junior school when I was about 6 - I used to really like them. Someone shoved one down the side of the sofa in our classroom play area. I thought it was hilarious.

However I soon forgot about this, and 3 weeks later I put my hand down the side of the sofa only to get it covered in a green pungent mess.

Not eaten one since.

Soldato
all southerners do...

cowke

toawst

TOAST!!!... when me and me dad stayed at his mates in kent, his nextdoor neighbours kids were amazed when we wanted TOAST in the morning.

nobody likes toawst

Soldato
On-topic:

Can't abide it when people say "Skon". I think sc-own is correct and I'm as rough as they come. But then again, I don't pronounce it sc-own either.

With me it comes out as "SCOO-ern" (similar to how they say SCOO-ILL instead of School in Barnsley)

Back
Top Bottom