Scotish Breakfast!

Associate
So im up where its even colder and rainer for a few days at the behest of work

I goto the hotel restaurant this morning and Im offered a choice of continental or scotish breakfasts, no english breakfast? i ask, only scotish is the reply

So i order my scotish breakfast and frankly im disappointed, theres not a haggis in sight! in fact its all the same ingredients as you would find in an english breakfast just not cooked as nicely

Would anyone else find this slightly naieve and a tiny bit insulting, to just take an english breakfast and label it as scotish without the slightest bit of effort to change it in some way to include something of scotland, its like the british claiming they invented curry. Is there something so broken about the current state of scotland that they are so nationalistic they have to deny any good things that might have come from being part of the UK

Soldato
Out of curiosity, what did the Scottish breakfast consist of? was Haggis involved?

Or was it Cereal, with Tony the Tiger on the box dressed in a kilt and playing bagpipes?

Soldato
Square sausage is great. Wish I could get some of the propper stuff down here. The duff they sell or used to sell in Iceland isn't very good.

We also used to have something called rollies when we used to visit as a kid. Sort of a flat crossiant with butter or jam.

Caporegime
So im up where its even colder and rainer for a few days at the behest of work

I goto the hotel restaurant this morning and Im offered a choice of continental or scotish breakfasts, no english breakfast? i ask, only scotish is the reply

So i order my scotish breakfast and frankly im disappointed, theres not a haggis in sight! in fact its all the same ingredients as you would find in an english breakfast just not cooked as nicely

Would anyone else find this slightly naieve and a tiny bit insulting, to just take an english breakfast and label it as scotish without the slightest bit of effort to change it in some way to include something of scotland, its like the british claiming they invented curry. Is there something so broken about the current state of scotland that they are so nationalistic they have to deny any good things that might have come from being part of the UK

Reminds me of the old joke 'what do you call a Scotsman with a chip on both shoulders?
Well balanced.'

But seriously, spending a lot of time in Scotland as an Englishman I have noticed a growing amount of...resentment. Not off everyone, some of the people I've met are still by far the nicest I've ever encountered but I'd go so far to say that others were out and out racist.

Soldato
In my opinion a Scottish breakfast should consist of....

Fried Haggis
Tattie Scone
Square Sausage
Bacon
Beans
Fried Egg

You can also add a link sausage or 2, and maybe fried tomato and black pudding.

If it doesn't have fried Haggis, a tattie scone and a square sausage it aint a full Scottish :)

Soldato
A scottish breakfast must include square sausage and potato scones. It simply cannot be otherwise! Black pudding it also fairly important. I dont think I've ever had haggis on a fry-up though.

Black eye is even better. Slice sausage with black pudding in the center.. Mmmm

Indeed. Lovely stuff :)

Back
Top Bottom