SE W810i.... impressions...

Caporegime
MehulLakhani said:
Debranding it, and changing it back to the Se firmware - does it make it *that* much faster ?

R

Mehul

Yes from what i have been reading on the internet about the branding malarkey.

SeanyK said:
Why are you sending it off? You can debrand it yourself using the cable you get with the phone!

It's really easy and costs £8 or so for a credit and is done in minutes! The phone is SO Much better without being network branded!

I would but its not as easy as some people are finding etc and knowing my luck ill probably end up turning it into a brick :p
Plus i need to get it unlocked as its currently locked to tmobile so thats another reason im sending it off to get it done.

Seems like the phone has a few quirks, biggest one being is the camera light/flash leds. If you turn the light on while the camera is on, after a few secs it starts to flash on and off....which kinda confused me as i thought perhaps its the SOS signal but it isnt. Not a good thing especially if your taking pics in the dark or low lighting and you need the light to stay on. From what i have been reading, it seems like SE doesnt think the phone has a problem lol. But maybe its the branding thats causing this problem, from what i have read it seems to be that way. But maybe in the next firmware update it will be fixed.

Soldato
i have the phone on vodaphone and its my first contract phone for about 5 years and i love it was at first going for the w800 but then the gorgous lady in phone4u showed me it and i fell in love with both :p my only prob is that when am at work and listening to mp3s the battery only lasts about 5 hours playing mp3s when on the adverts it states something about 30hours mp3 playback am i missing something here, by the way am using it in the phone mode does it make a big difference just using the mp3 mode

Soldato
Got mine as a free upgrade from O2.

Don't really like it. Thought I'd give SE a chance as I've used Nokia phones for the past 7 years, and now I know why I never changed before.

I find it a chore to use, doesn't have simpleness of the past Nokia's I've had. I'm too used to having 0 as the space key when texting, or holding down * to get the symbol menu. Or even pressing the 'End call' key to get back to the main screen...simple features I miss when using the 810i.

Shame really, as it is a nice phone. Apart from the odd squeak from the buttons.

Off it goes back to O2, and the hunt for a nice phone continues.

Soldato
I cant understand that, I used to be Nokia through and through.

But I switched to this and don't know why I used Nokias! Everything about them is inferior, texting is better on a Nokia, but once you get used to this, its just as good even for that!

Soldato
Must admit I do love this phone! And i've always been a nokia person!

Only annoying thing so far, anyway of increasing memory allowance for text messages, it keeps making me delete them to clear up space to receive more, even though i've loads of memory on the phone and memory card!

Associate
OP
ggrrrr phone had developed a kinda strange action with the `joystick` - it kinda creaks a little without pressing it right in. Its too small to start with and now it seems really a lot worse... dunno if it will get better or worse with use but I dont like it - other than that everythings good.... so maybe the dreaded joystick replacement wont be much better after all.

Soldato
Spawn said:
Im sending mine off to get unlocked and de-branded sometime next week, from what i have been reading de-branding the phone makes it much much more faster.

Would it be against the rules if I asked where you were sending it to get it de-branded?

Caporegime
Brum Man said:
Would it be against the rules if I asked where you were sending it to get it de-branded?

Dont think it would be but do a google search mate, thats how i found the place i was going to send it off to. But i changed my mind and did the de-branding at home by myself via the da vinci website...was so easy that i was quite surprised myself. The unlocking i got done at a local mbile phone shop, did it while i waited and only paid a fiver to get it done.

De-branding this phone from all the network crap installed on it..does make this phone a lot faster and gives you such lovely nice flash menus to play with. Not only that it also allows you to do over the air firmware updates as well.

Anyone seriously thinking of doing it, dont think just do it and you wont be be disappointed.

Soldato
Ok cheers, I'll have a look around the site in a minute. I'm getting this phone tomorrow and am very much looking forward to it, haven't had an upgrade in about 18 months which for me is rare!

I'm assuming you just use the standard data cable that comes with it?

Think I'll wait to make sure I like it before de-branding it though just to make sure!

Associate
Ooh, I'm in serious need of a new phone, and have been eyeing this one up for a few days. Despite the few negative comments, you guys have convinced me to get my credit card out and order one right away!

Hopefully it won't be a disappointment

Caporegime
del_piero said:
Ooh, I'm in serious need of a new phone, and have been eyeing this one up for a few days. Despite the few negative comments, you guys have convinced me to get my credit card out and order one right away!

Hopefully it won't be a disappointment

Im sure you wont be disappointed especially if its a sim free model with no operator branding on it. It really is a nice phone i have to admit, never thought id like it so much.

Soldato
Eventually got one of these myself last weekfrom o2 free on an upgrade, and must saw I relaly like it. Quite picky with my phones and traditionally have been a mainly Nokia user.

Every phone takes a little getting used to, sending a phone back becasue the space or dictionary of words are in a difference place seems daft. Mine doesnt seem to have any real branding on it, only an o2 screensaver which I disabled anyway.

Using the equaliser theme at the moment and it suits the colour of the phone really well. You can download more themes from the SE wap site free of charge too although most of the best ones were already loaded.

Small, stylish, decent enough camera, MP3 playback. Thats all I need so its perfect for the time being :)

Even just ordered Bomberman and Cannon Fodder for it. Quality.

Soldato
Well I've got the phone today and it seems ok so far. Does seem a little slow, faster than my T610 was anyway (first and only time I've had an SE), but still a bit laggy. But as it's been mentioned I think think it has a lot to do with the horrible Vodafone branding.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Brum Man said:
Well I've got the phone today and it seems ok so far. Does seem a little slow, faster than my T610 was anyway (first and only time I've had an SE), but still a bit laggy. But as it's been mentioned I think think it has a lot to do with the horrible Vodafone branding.

De-brand it now!!!!!:p. Seriously get it de-branded then it becomes much much faster.

Soldato
Spawn said:
De-brand it now!!!!!:p. Seriously get it de-branded then it becomes much much faster.

I've had a look at the instructions though, and is it me or do they make not a lot of sense :confused:

I think it would help if they were written in good english too, rather than badly translated english.

I'll try and have another read of it later, see if I can make any sense of it :p

Being really pedantic too, but do you know if it's possible to get the proper walkman plastic bit that's at the bottom of the phone, to replace mine that says Vodafone on it?

Back
Top Bottom