Sea Of Thieves (coming to Steam as well now!)

Soldato
OP
Shame this does not get cancelled the more they show the less interest I have its also going to be tied to Win 10 app store forever. Art style is also a 1:1 copy paste from Monkey Island 3 & 4 :rolleyes:

Man of Honour
With a few mates its pretty fun (though the same could be said of almost every online game in history) , it does get quite repetitive quickly though, needs more content for release imo or it will have a quite short shelf life.

Associate
I have been in the technical alpha for the last 4/5 months and in the closed beta, along with a couple of friends, I absolutely love this game!!! It’s been my most anticipated title since it’s first showing at E3 (can’t remeber if it was last years or the year before..) BUT, despite how much I have loved it and laughed, I won’t be buying it, there’s no chance in hell im paying £49.99 for a digital game, or for any game for that matter, my principles just won’t allow it, and in its current state the Xbox app is a mess, it took a good 40 tries to get into us all into a party together. My worry for the game is by the time it gets a price cut or or a sale, the PC player base will be non existent, yes it’s Xbox-PC crossplay, but that’s potentially Half it’s player base gone, and more importantly, this quite amazing multiplayer game by one of the biggest and iconic development teams, Rare (or at least for those that owned an N64) won’t get the attention it deserves, and will probably go unplayed and unnoticed by the gaming public.

Every time a PC centric gaming article is posted featuring the Win10, the comments read ‘no steam no buy’ etc, I bought a few games on sale on Win10 store, I personally don’t really care which client I use, but there’s no denying that Gears of War 1 and 4, Forza Horizon, Halo Wars etc, would sold much Much more copies if they were on steam, also Halo Forge would have boomed in popularity too...shame really

Associate
Would prefer to be able to buy this via other means, like steam, GoG etc. would atleast mean that there would be less chance of MS price gouging, and more chance of it going for about £35 like you'd expect for a pc game.

Associate
I've been playing the closed beta for a day and I'm already starting to get bored.

The water is absolutely stunning and the whole experience of boarding your ship and setting sail is great, but that's about it.

It's insanely repetitive. Quests are all you do and every single quest has been the same so far. Get a clue (or a map), go to said island (rock) and dig around a bit. Take chest back to original island and repeat. Seriously? That's it?

When you play with others you can fool around a bit, but it's mostly just your imagination, there's no real depth or underlying story line to the game.

Another thing that sucks is the island sizes. Most of them are just glorified rocks with a couple of palm trees and bit of sand on them. So far at least there's been very little to explore, certainly nothing on the scale of small towns or ports that are interesting.

Just my take on it. And yeah Microsoft Store is a complete joke. Why anyone would want their title on there is beyond me. But that alone isn't reason enough not to buy a game. You're being silly if you say that

Permabanned
Wake me up when somone makes a decent pirate game. I.E not one with **** goofy cartoon graphics with absolutely zero depth.

Had this back in 06 thank you very much.

Associate
I have been in the technical alpha for the last 4/5 months and in the closed beta, along with a couple of friends, I absolutely love this game!!! It’s been my most anticipated title since it’s first showing at E3 (can’t remeber if it was last years or the year before..) BUT, despite how much I have loved it and laughed, I won’t be buying it, there’s no chance in hell im paying £49.99 for a digital game, or for any game for that matter,

No offense but people like you are slowly killing AAA games. A Blu-Ray movie is $20 and that's at most 2.5 hours of entertainment. So you're not willing to pay 2.5X that much money for 40, 80, possibly hundreds of hours of entertainment?

Video games are the best entertainment bang for the buck available. A theme park day trip is $100 for 6 hours of entertainment. A movie at the cinema, with popcorn, drink, candy, is $25 for 2 hours of entertainment, and you might be disturbed by chavs kicking your seat. A game is $50 for a hundred hours of thrills. That's an amazing deal. People are getting cheaper and cheaper with their money these days and it's killing gaming. They're already talking about no more single player adventures.

Back in my day we would pay $90 (this is in 1992) for TMNT turtles in time on SNES and that game lasted 26 minutes.

Get OOOOOOOOver it.

Rant over.

Soldato
You really can't compare experiences like that, I don't get any thrills from video games the vast majority of them are easily forgettable. Video games are mostly relaxing and I can do that on my couch while I browse the web for endless of hours at no cost if you want to talk about bang for buck.

Associate
No offense but people like you are slowly killing AAA games. A Blu-Ray movie is $20 and that's at most 2.5 hours of entertainment. So you're not willing to pay 2.5X that much money for 40, 80, possibly hundreds of hours of entertainment?

Video games are the best entertainment bang for the buck available. A theme park day trip is $100 for 6 hours of entertainment. A movie at the cinema, with popcorn, drink, candy, is $25 for 2 hours of entertainment, and you might be disturbed by chavs kicking your seat. A game is $50 for a hundred hours of thrills. That's an amazing deal. People are getting cheaper and cheaper with their money these days and it's killing gaming. They're already talking about no more single player adventures.

Back in my day we would pay $90 (this is in 1992) for TMNT turtles in time on SNES and that game lasted 26 minutes.

Get OOOOOOOOver it.

Rant over.
No offence, but if people like you who are quite happy to pay stupid money for a digital game with no resale value, then the publishers will continue to pull peoples pants down.

You paid $90 for physical good that you could have sold off, I regularly paid £50-60 for N64 games back in the day (they were expensive then the PlayStation games, I’m geussing due to the cartridge), guess what? I sold them off when I had finished with them, physical goods, not license key with a EULA, there is a big difference. I have bought games on Win10 store, Gears4 and Forza Horizon 3, both on sale, there’s no chance in hell im paying the standard asking price off £49.99, especially when the Xbox gamers pay £39.99 for a phsysical disc that has been pressed, boxed, deliverd and sold in a store..

Your analogy is flawed and quite frankly stupid, again no offence...

And no people ‘like me’ are killing AAA gaming, it’s because the having community and now realising that AAA games are generally shallow, and lack creativity, all flashy graphics and no substance the indie scene has some of the best games available and there generally much cheaper than the AAA loot box filled DLC invested cr@p that’s on offer.

Sea of Thieves is good, really good, but not £49.99 good.

Rant over

Soldato
Shame this does not get cancelled the more they show the less interest I have its also going to be tied to Win 10 app store forever. Art style is also a 1:1 copy paste from Monkey Island 3 & 4 :rolleyes:

They are owned by Microsoft so It was always going to happen.

You are judging a game on a closed beta that clearly has content missing. Give it time as it still has 2 months to go before being released

Associate
I hope more content does flow. I know the other 2 types of missions are missing.

Killing quests
Trade route quests

Also you can find extra random loot / life stock on islands to trade in. I just hope that they have something more to "reveal"

Also £50 is a massive kick in the balls for a digital game.

Soldato

Get OOOOOOOOver it.

Rant over.
In contrast to this I paid about £5 for every Arma 2 game and played DayZ mod every day for months on end. It's probably the best gaming experience I've ever had. The fun I've got out of TTT on Garry's Mod is probably second on the list and I didn't even buy Garry's Mod.

You do not need to pay £49.99+ for a game these days and on many occasions in the last few years I've spent gaming I've enjoyed "indie" games more than ASAP titles.

Soldato
I hope more content does flow. I know the other 2 types of missions are missing.

Killing quests
Trade route quests

Also you can find extra random loot / life stock on islands to trade in. I just hope that they have something more to "reveal"

Also £50 is a massive kick in the balls for a digital game.

Call me dumb right..... But i'd pay £100+ for a game if it was long lasting, deep and worthwhile game.

I keep saying, i'd rather pay £5pcm for a good game which will be constantly updated with new content. I know WoW has this and thats why i've probably sunk £300 in.

Associate
Oh dont get me wrong. I agree I'll hopefully get 100s of hours entertainment out of it.

My only worry is if content doesnt get added quickly, it will judt turn into outpost spawn camping for lulz

Back
Top Bottom