Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - Released 22/03/2019

Soldato
I’m only just scratching the surface so no doubt there will be a lot more to learn about the combat, but it does feel refreshing. I’ve unlocked a different kind of deflect for thrusts that seems pretty cool too.

One piece of advice from the carver has properly stuck in my mind though: “for each person that needs to be killed, there is a way to kill them”. Or words to that effect. Feels prophetic somehow! :)

Yeah, the game is a completely different beast than soulsborne, you can't really make builds here but the core combat is really satisfying. You also get some flexibility through the prosthetic tools.

The Mikiri counter (the thrust one) is super satisfying and really useful:)

Soldato
Played a bit more today. Took down drunken sumo and Shinobi Hunter. Also found some crazy dude dressed in purple guarding a prosthetic tool. Man he was a complete arse. Done him in though. :)

Got to Lady Butterfly. Tried a couple of times then noped out of there to do some more exploring. Took down the ogre dude at the top of some stairs and had some fun in a ravine with a big white noodle! :p

Finally got to a place that just had “boss fight” written all over it! :p

So yeah, cue about 10 attempts and some intense deflecting action and the boss was down. Felt awesome to do a proper boss, but felt sorry for the horse though!

Now I’ve just got to an angry bovine, but had to stop for the day.

Felt like I’ve made good progress today. Getting more familiar with the mechanics and combat style now.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah Lady Butterfly was the one I noped away from after trying a bunch.

Horse dude was awesome.

It's quite telling how even though I've not played this game in a while, I can still remember some of the bosses! :D

Soldato
Just downed an elite swordsman dude in Ashina Castle. That was a bit of a tasty scrap! He was proper quick on the draw!

Got up to old Genichiro and noped out of there. So much I haven’t yet seen. Went off for a wander and found some temple with a load of ninja monk dudes. They were not happy to see me!

Enjoying myself. I know there’s limits with levels and attack power etc but I haven’t felt like I have hit a wall just yet. I will need to go back to Lady Butterfly and Genichiro, but there’s still plenty to see and do in the meantime. Im trying to get prayer beads but they are thin on the ground. I’ve only found 10 so far. Well, 11 if you count a merchant that has one to sell, but I don’t have the cheddar. Need to go on a serious money hunt!

Soldato
Just downed an elite swordsman dude in Ashina Castle. That was a bit of a tasty scrap! He was proper quick on the draw!

Got up to old Genichiro and noped out of there. So much I haven’t yet seen. Went off for a wander and found some temple with a load of ninja monk dudes. They were not happy to see me!

Enjoying myself. I know there’s limits with levels and attack power etc but I haven’t felt like I have hit a wall just yet. I will need to go back to Lady Butterfly and Genichiro, but there’s still plenty to see and do in the meantime. Im trying to get prayer beads but they are thin on the ground. I’ve only found 10 so far. Well, 11 if you count a merchant that has one to sell, but I don’t have the cheddar. Need to go on a serious money hunt!

IIRC, you have three paths at Genichiro if you don't want to fight him right away, I think something changed depending on the order but I don't recall it being anything major.

I did him right away as a principle, same with Butterfly:p

Getting some of the endings without looking stuff up might be tough anyways so just enjoy your first playthrough, NG+ is ways quicker.

EDIT: Oh, I remember, you can't progress through Senpou (the monk area) if you haven't beaten Genichiro:p

Last edited:
Soldato
So, work has been manic and I haven’t really had chance to play until the last few days.

Well, I tried and tried and tried with Genichiro. Took a break and went to Lady Butterfly. Killed her on like my 4th attempt.

Went back to Genichiro. Tried and tried and tried and tried and tried. I’m not sure how many times but I’d say it took me about 6hrs in total. Die, run back, fight, die, run back, fight, die. I reckon well over 100 attempts it took. I was getting a bit better and learning a bit more each time. Eventually I was getting to his third phase maybe 3 in 5 attempts. But his third phase was kicking my ass.

But then something just clicked today after around 4hrs of trying. I did all three phases without using a gourd and only 1 resurrection.

Dieeeeeeeee you complete <insert tirade of expletives here>!!!!!!!!!!

Lol :p

Had a horrible sinking feeling in the after fight cut scenes though!!

Just been and killed some lanky giraffe and hit a locked door so I’m backtracking now to find a key.

Mfg - I’m still shaking from Genichiro. One of the hardest bosses I’ve ever faced, ever. I can see how some people would just give up.

Last edited:
Soldato
Genichiro was a wall that life was too short to overcome. Lady Butterfly not so bad. One day I may go back and retry it. 3rd phase is just horrible with Genichiro even if you get there relatively easily.

Well done though he’s a mother of a boss.

Last edited:
Soldato
Genichiro was a wall that life was too short to overcome. Lady Butterfly not so bad. One day I may go back and retry it. 3rd phase is just horrible with Genichiro even if you get there relatively easily.

Well done though he’s a mother of a boss.

Really weird, I tried all sorts in phase 3 but the success was to lock on and +forward and just use one slash of R1 and be ready to block/jump. He was running all around me but the lock followed him and I got all up in his face. As others have said - I needed to be super aggressive and actually just treat him like the first 2 phases (except the lightning of course). Kept him close and lured him into attacking close range so I could deflect and counter.

Downed Phase 3 in like 30 seconds.

Could I do it again? Yeah, but not with any consistency. I’m not good enough. I also really don’t relish the thought of this fight in NG+!

Bit worrying this was only the 3rd proper boss - Christ knows how difficult some of the next bosses will be!

Soldato
I've had this in my library for ages. I might have to finally crack it out. Ive heard it needs an enb or more vibrance to really set off the colours in the game though. It's a bit..... gray otherwise

Soldato
Yeah I have a feeling I’m gonna spend a lot of time angry! :p

Nah, won't be that bad probably, if you can beat Genichiro , you can beat the game as he is sort of a test on whether you understand the combat.

I won't lie, there was an optional boss in this that took me a solid 1,5h of constant trying but well, he's optional:p

By the time you reach the final boss you should be good enough to take him down with a bit of perseverance.
It's an epic fight as well.

Last edited:
Soldato
Done a little bit more today. Killed a few Mini-bosses. Found a place that has farming spot written all over it! This game is pretty big and whilst I get monumentally frustrated with bosses, it’s genuinely one of the best games I’ve played.

Currently at guardian ape trying to refine my approach to get to 2nd phase without being completely battered. I will get there, just need to spend a bit more time learning. I missed him the first time I came to the area and I have no idea why. I didn’t even activate the idol. I slaughtered the crowd of monkeys got the pick ups and went back the way I came!! I do wonder about myself sometimes :p

Corrupted monk was a pain in the ass - got it done in about 6 attempts though, so compared to Genichiro, one might say a walk in the park! :p

Soldato
This game is pretty big and whilst I get monumentally frustrated with bosses, it’s genuinely one of the best games I’ve played.

Yeah, and it hardly lets up till the very end. Four endings as well, some with very specific steps you have to take during a playthrough, so quite a lot to do indeed. I don't think I could've gotten one of the endings without looking stuff up:p

Back
Top Bottom