Sennheiser gsx 1000 thread?

Associate
Only if you want the HD option if not you can just switch to 2.0 on the Unit.

Ah nice, thanks.

Okay thank you, would be great if you could test it with a few other games you own. Since I don't play Rainbow Six it doesn't really matter to me, although this game doesn't have a true surround sound if I'm not wrong people have been arguing about that on reddit.

So would be nice to know how they sound in Witcher 3, CS, BF etc.

Again thanks for the fast reply, appreciate it! :)

Well i just tried it in battlefield 1 and it sounds amazing to me, i could position where everyone was shooting from and the sound quality was great. It's like you can hear every detail with a crisp and punchy sound but its also not over the top with bass (i personally don't like bass in games that much). You might want to look into comparing the sennheiser game ones with some similar priced headphones though unless you need a microphone build into your headphones.

Associate
Well i just tried it in battlefield 1 and it sounds amazing to me, i could position where everyone was shooting from and the sound quality was great. It's like you can hear every detail with a crisp and punchy sound but its also not over the top with bass (i personally don't like bass in games that much). You might want to look into comparing the sennheiser game ones with some similar priced headphones though unless you need a microphone build into your headphones.

Okay nice! Well I have an AKG microphone which I already use with an amp but I want a mic directly and compact with good quality on my headphones. All these desksolutions don't satisfy me.
I use my AKG for recording vocals just to be clear.

Also I'm curious how the GSX 1000 handles the mic quality, especially with the game one. I know for a reason that the game one has a good built-in mic thats why I'm going for this headset.

Thanks again!

Associate
Okay nice! Well I have an AKG microphone which I already use with an amp but I want a mic directly and compact with good quality on my headphones. All these desksolutions don't satisfy me.
I use my AKG for recording vocals just to be clear.

Also I'm curious how the GSX 1000 handles the mic quality, especially with the game one. I know for a reason that the game one has a good built-in mic thats why I'm going for this headset.

Thanks again!

Theirs a youtube video that reviews the mic quality with hardware canucks i think which you might want to check out.

Associate
Theirs a youtube video that reviews the mic quality with hardware canucks i think which you might want to check out.

Just watched it, maybe there is too much nouse cancellation but all in all thats fine with me, gonna order it this week and try this beast out!

Thanks for your help ;)

Soldato
Currently I'm using my Logitech G430 which do a poor job when it comes to figuring out where the enemies come from.

I'm really nervous about putting a soundcard into my pc because of the static noises and stuff like that, so an external amp would be perfect for me. I've been using closed back headphones for quite a while now but decided to get some opened cans. Less heat and better audio (in my opinion) made it clear to me after trying the game one at a friends place.
Assuming headphones are decent that USB dongle with Dolby Headphone should give sense of direction...
Though Dolby Headphone suffers from echo... quoted as "Gothic cathedral" in Tom's Guide.

When plugged in directly to PC there should be sense of direction and depth/distance in this:
Especially first minute is good for testing that.
With good open headphones farther shots sound literally coming from farther away.

During fair 20 years have had half dozen internal sound cards (starting from ISA cards) in about as many PCs and have so far failed to get noise/interference out from them.

Associate
Assuming headphones are decent that USB dongle with Dolby Headphone should give sense of direction...
Though Dolby Headphone suffers from echo... quoted as "Gothic cathedral" in Tom's Guide.

When plugged in directly to PC there should be sense of direction and depth/distance in this:
Especially first minute is good for testing that.
With good open headphones farther shots sound literally coming from farther away.

During fair 20 years have had half dozen internal sound cards (starting from ISA cards) in about as many PCs and have so far failed to get noise/interference out from them.

I also have an USB connector, which came with the G430. If I plug my headset into it and into my PC the sound is just way too low and the microphone isn't working properly. Tried different USB hubs but it didn't change a thing, also if I turn the volume way up I get a loud statistical noise. That's why I plugged it in directly, so the volume is okay but as mentioned no sense of direction but at least no background noise. I ordered the GSX 1000 with the Game One yesterday should arrive tomorrow. I can't wait to get my ears blown away by the surround sound!

Also I'm not a big fan of the echo effects other soundcards produce...

Will report back after testing.

Cheers

Associate
I also have an USB connector, which came with the G430. If I plug my headset into it and into my PC the sound is just way too low and the microphone isn't working properly. Tried different USB hubs but it didn't change a thing, also if I turn the volume way up I get a loud statistical noise. That's why I plugged it in directly, so the volume is okay but as mentioned no sense of direction but at least no background noise. I ordered the GSX 1000 with the Game One yesterday should arrive tomorrow. I can't wait to get my ears blown away by the surround sound!

Also I'm not a big fan of the echo effects other soundcards produce...

Will report back after testing.

Cheers

Make sure you follow the quick start guide, you have to setup 7.1 surround in windows configuration which the quick start guide will guide you through.

Associate
I have been using the fidelio x2 as well as the sennheiser game one, the sennheiser game one sounds clearer and sharper (i can hear distant gunshots more clearer and they sound much more crisp) where as with the fidelio the audio sounds a bit fuzzy and the bass increase barely noticeable over the game ones, Should this be the case? the fidelio sounds better with music though.

Associate
So I just got my combo, I can't believe I've used the logitech for so long and never thought about upgrading. The combo GSX1000 & Game One is just... wow...
I still have to find my settings but out of the box when everything is set correctly it sounds amazing!

Last edited:
Soldato
I have been using the fidelio x2 as well as the sennheiser game one, the sennheiser game one sounds clearer and sharper (i can hear distant gunshots more clearer and they sound much more crisp) where as with the fidelio the audio sounds a bit fuzzy and the bass increase barely noticeable over the game ones, Should this be the case? the fidelio sounds better with music though.

Synergy plays a part as to why some headphones perform better than others when it comes to positional sound gaming. No doubt when designing the GSX, Sennheiser made it to be an ideal match with their headsets. Headsets which are designed to excel when it comes to gaming. For headphones, music is the primary focus; and while a lot of headphones also work well as gaming headphones, not just for music; the synergy is not always going to be there with certain audio products, because they're designed separately.

Associate
Synergy plays a part as to why some headphones perform better than others when it comes to positional sound gaming. No doubt when designing the GSX, Sennheiser made it to be an ideal match with their headsets. Headsets which are designed to excel when it comes to gaming. For headphones, music is the primary focus; and while a lot of headphones also work well as gaming headphones, not just for music; the synergy is not always going to be there with certain audio products, because they're designed separately.

Ah that makes sense, don't get me wrong the fidelio still sound amazing and ill probably keep them due to comfort, i just need a good microphone to go with them and was looking at the modmic. anyone here tried them?

Soldato
Modmic is the best option for a clip on or attachable microphone. Not cheap though really as it's not as good as the Blue Snowball, which is not that much more. Admittedly, that's a desk microphone; but that's the story really; desk ones are always going to be superior.

Soldato
While general frequency response might have slight tweaks trying to tune it for certain specific headphone frequency reponse isn't good thing.
Because in smaller scale frequency responses have vast differences it would easily cause problems with many of them.
It would be like music player which can play only one song.
Like non-neutral bad high freguency response amplifier might work with some treble heavy headphones, but would be really bad thing for weak treble headphones.
(not to mention that being no excuse for performance of amplifier)

And HD595s definitely don't make GSX's algorithm work better in this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6CDgwtVcbg

But headphones can definitely work very differently in different things.
Like if some headphones are especially good for vocals that does in no way mean them being automatically good at other frequencies.

Or small sound stage headphones bad in almost everything might give "agressive" first row feel in some music.
Those T*rd Beach Z60s I've had chance to test actually had such behavior.
While in overal being painfully miserable total junk for gaming and movies compared just to cheap HD330 Superluxes.

Ah that makes sense, don't get me wrong the fidelio still sound amazing and ill probably keep them due to comfort, i just need a good microphone to go with them and was looking at the modmic. anyone here tried them?
While not that cheap Modmic works well for what it's meant for: Communication.
Best sound quality is actually "incompatible" with features good for communication.
Like noise cancelling/unidirectional capsule design having worser frequency response than omnidirectional.

Man of Honour

The output from the GSX is a bit underwhelming for driving headphones to be honest - the high sensitivity stuff works OK i.e. your typical gaming headset or headphones designed for use on the go but any reasonably decent mid-fi or hifi headphones are probably going to need a bit more to fully bring them to life.

Associate
The output from the GSX is a bit underwhelming for driving headphones to be honest - the high sensitivity stuff works OK i.e. your typical gaming headset or headphones designed for use on the go but any reasonably decent mid-fi or hifi headphones are probably going to need a bit more to fully bring them to life.

They don't sound too bad tbh i couldn't imagine using them any louder than this unless i wanted to go deaf.

Man of Honour
Its not all about volume - many amps can drive headphones loud but don't fully control the drivers :s for instance I can plug my Sennheiser HD600 into my X-Fi directly and get them to uncomfortable volume levels but the bass is "flabby" and treble collapsed into the mid-range.

Associate
I've just ordered this, got it with £30 off direct from the manufacturer thanks to a discount code.

Can't wait until this arrives and I can see how it works with my BeyerDynamics DT770 Pro's!

Thank you Shankly for the videos and everything, you've been immense.
So I've had this for almost 7 months now and it is driving my DT 770's and I also use a ModMic. The appeal for me was the virtual surround sound which is the best virtual surround sound I've heard, there is no echo, it just feels natural.

I've used creative sound cards in the past and tried Dolby Atmos, the detail in this is better than those solutions in my opinion. I primarily play Overwatch and it certainly helps when playing that although I think the sound engine in Overwatch is not as good as it is in other games for positional awareness. I should try it in other games but I don't yet own Battlefield 1, PUBG, or R6: Siege.

It's definitely an improvement over on board sound, which is hardly a surprise as my onboard sound had an issue as the motherboard's creative chip liked to occasionally distort and go full deafening volume once a month or so which was only fixed by a restart.

The main draw for this is the simplicity of set up and changing the output that really appealed to me as I can go from headphones to 2.0 speakers very easily and change volume easily as well. My previous sound set up before I had some Speedlink Medusa 'surround sound' headphones which had an amp allowing me to switch from headphones to speakers at the press of a button, the surround sound was awful, but the convenience was great. Now I have great surround sound and the convenience.

Also, getting the sound production out of my case and on this has meant there is zero hissing during quiet moments or when there is no sound, which is actually more enjoyable than it sounds like.

Back
Top Bottom