Sennheiser gsx 1000 thread?

Soldato
Hi again. I've been all over the place trying to decide on the right sound set-up for me. I was recently veering towards a full 5.1 speaker set-up, but my home situation has changed, so headphones are the best option again - I'll just have to suck it up re: clamping and hope my noggin/ears do okay with hrtf.

Anyway, I keep coming back to the GSX, for ease of use (have had plenty of problems with sound card drivers over the years), and user reviews from you guys. As I said before, I already have Q701s which won't play well with the GSX. So my options are buy other headphones, or try double amping. So I have some more questions if you guys don't mind.

Would a "neutral" (probably the wrong term) sounding amp like the Meier Audio Jazz do well with the GSX/Q701s combo? Anyone tried anything like that?

If it's a non-runner, I'll go for the HD599s. Either way, I'd need a mic that I can use with the cans. Was thinking of the Modmic. Will it work well with the GSX?
Yeah, reality is the biggest enemy of having that comfortable surround sound set room...

Sound wise Sennheisers shouldn't have anything over 700-serie AKGs so don't see that exactly as sensible path.
And mechanically that one sided attachment of earcup to headband of HD595/8/9 just is anything but structurally optimal design.
(used HD595s before DT990 Beyers...)

Nothing non-working in another amplifier between headphone output and headphones...
Just don't tell output it's driving line in instead of headphones. :p
Well, actually it will notice that instead of low ohms demanding current it's driving some light 50 kohm load and improves its signal quality because of not being stressed.

If amplifier changes sound in any actually hearable way then it's sure ain't amplifier but distorter, though modern "Hifi" suffers from that phenomenon...
But it doesn't cost arm and leg to have completely neutral and transparent to human hearing sound.
Following actual electric engineering instead of modern "Hifi" BS it's actually rather cheap:
http://epiphany-acoustics.co.uk/pro...plifiers/ehp-o2-portable-headphone-amplifier/

I have myself two Objective2s because of started looking into connecting two headphones to PC.
And tech/science-nerd in me (well, actually read year of electric engineering basics in school) obviously wasn't satisfied to just looking advertising lines.
So found out that lots of multi-output devices had insane output impedances and stuff usually costing awfully lots, while lots of "Hifi" being snake oil.
Ended up buying two DIY kits for 110€ total and doing that fun part of assembling things.
(soldering is fun with temperature controlled soldering station)

One earlier version of ModMic used less sensitive/lower signal capsule, but current versions should work with any semi decent mic-in.
And unidirectional model is definitely good for keeping keyboard sounds etc lower.

Man of Honour
If amplifier changes sound in any actually hearable way then it's sure ain't amplifier but distorter, though modern "Hifi" suffers from that phenomenon...
But it doesn't cost arm and leg to have completely neutral and transparent to human hearing sound.
Following actual electric engineering instead of modern "Hifi" BS it's actually rather cheap:
http://epiphany-acoustics.co.uk/pro...plifiers/ehp-o2-portable-headphone-amplifier/

To be honest though the O2 is a great design from an engineering perspective I find the sound signature lacking subjectively and while it does very well with moderately current demanding headphones there are definitely some issues with it when used with say the HD600 and others that benefit from a lot of voltage swing - some minor mid-range articulation issues and high pitch vocals lose some gender and are slightly coloured - which I blame on the JRC4556 op amps - most of those went away when changing them for RC4580s. Changing the gain op amp for an OPA1612, uprating some of the film capacitors to polypropylenes, changing some other capacitors and changing out the regulators for a LM317/337 pair made me much happier with the amp.

(It also measures pretty much identically scoped to the original as far as my equipment is able to test - while sounding much better despite the whole objective thing :p ).

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks for the detailed reply. Though it seems that Epiphany are closed for business!? :p
There's another minimum shipping hassle source in EU.
Got my DIY kits from here few years ago:
http://www.headnhifi.com/amplifiers/objective2
As curiosity paid by standard IBAN/SEPA transfer and IIRC barely five hours later order state was updated to payment received.
Swiss banks clearly know how to have things working with other banks, considering how hard it's been to get even domestic transfers to go through in reasonable time for modern internet era...

Besides Swiss Post there's shipping option in which he sends it from Germany inside EU customs area.
Though he seems to be in moving process to Germany so that's likely going to be new default shipping mode.
http://www.headnhifi.com/moving-on.html

Soldato
There's another minimum shipping hassle source in EU.
Got my DIY kits from here few years ago:
http://www.headnhifi.com/amplifiers/objective2
As curiosity paid by standard IBAN/SEPA transfer and IIRC barely five hours later order state was updated to payment received.
Swiss banks clearly know how to have things working with other banks, considering how hard it's been to get even domestic transfers to go through in reasonable time for modern internet era...

Besides Swiss Post there's shipping option in which he sends it from Germany inside EU customs area.
Though he seems to be in moving process to Germany so that's likely going to be new default shipping mode.
http://www.headnhifi.com/moving-on.html

Thanks man, bookmarked for now while I mull things over.

Soldato
OP
Well I'll be darned...
Took HD595s from cabinet to listen Sennheiser GSX - SBX Pro comparison thinking maybe GSX's algorithms work better for their frequency reponse than DT990.
And totally opposite to what expectation bias should cause result was more toward slightly opposite feeling.

One thing to keep in mind here is the difference between these when recording them.

The GSX doesn't have a native hardware used to record the unit. For the GSX you need a 3.5 to 3.5 from headphone out into a 3.5 input on a sound card like SBz and record the microphone input. Sadly this does effect the quality of the output and adds some unwanted noise

So for recording don't listen to the GSX for sound quality and more for the surround sound effect

The SBz has a whatUhear feature built in and you can record this and get a true 1 to 1 output meaning the SBz will sound so much better sound quality wise.

If anyone finds away to properly record the GSX please let me know.

Man of Honour
Thanks man, bookmarked for now while I mull things over.

I'd be cautious pairing the O2 up with the GSX - from my experience the 0.22uf film cap that sits rail to rail across the op amps somewhat causes a narrowing of the stereo imaging versus more expensive amplifiers.

Soldato
So for recording don't listen to the GSX for sound quality and more for the surround sound effect
I was listening purely for surround effect.
And with its bass neutrality HD595 works very impressively for nitpicking details in other binaural simulations.
So rather shock that part of GSX's surround effect almost felt as if not so clear as with DT990.

Though not that my experiences wouldn't have broken expectations earlier in that headphone "burn in" thing...

Soldato
I'd be cautious pairing the O2 up with the GSX - from my experience the 0.22uf film cap that sits rail to rail across the op amps somewhat causes a narrowing of the stereo imaging versus more expensive amplifiers.

Cheers, I'll hold off on any purchases until I'm absolutely sure it will work well. However, as I already have the Q701s, I'm reluctant to buy another set of cans just to pair with the GSX. Decisions decisions.

Associate
What do you guys mean by record the GSX? anyway i have some questions regarding this item if you guys would be kind to share as i have received mine today,

After configuring your sound settings in windows to surround sound, do you have to configure it back on stereo mode or do you guys just leave it and use the amp to do that instead?

what settings would you recommend for a competitive fps shooter like rainbow six siege?

Soldato
After configuring your sound settings in windows to surround sound, do you have to configure it back on stereo mode or do you guys just leave it and use the amp to do that instead?
Windows channel/speaker setting needs to be set for surround for chance to get binaural sound from any sound card.
That's what games use as output setting for their audio renderer.

Though GSX might actually change that automatically depending on its mode.

Associate
Hello!

I have a question, since I've been using my onboard soundchip (MSI Z170a) I wanted to upgrade my experience. Currently I'm using my Logitech G430 which do a poor job when it comes to figuring out where the enemies come from.
Now I'm really curious since I only use my pc for gaming and a little bit of youtube (music only on home theater system), I want something with a good positioning sound. I was thinking about getting the Sennheiser Game One with the GSX 1000. Do they work well together? Does somebody own this exact set?

I'm really nervous about putting a soundcard into my pc because of the static noises and stuff like that, so an external amp would be perfect for me. I've been using closed back headphones for quite a while now but decided to get some opened cans. Less heat and better audio (in my opinion) made it clear to me after trying the game one at a friends place.

Thanks for your support!

Soldato
OP
What do you guys mean by record the GSX? anyway i have some questions regarding this item if you guys would be kind to share as i have received mine today,

what settings would you recommend for a competitive fps shooter like rainbow six siege?

To show how the GSX sounds on say a Youtube video you need to record the headphone input of the Unit. If you just record a game standard all you doing is recording the audio before its got to the unit.

For Setup the GSX works best when Windows is set to 7.1 Full range speakers and games are set to 7.1 or surround headphone options. The GSX can also work well taking a standard stereo 2.0 and creating a virtual surround sound just like My Dolby Demo above.

Associate
Hello!

I have a question, since I've been using my onboard soundchip (MSI Z170a) I wanted to upgrade my experience. Currently I'm using my Logitech G430 which do a poor job when it comes to figuring out where the enemies come from.
Now I'm really curious since I only use my pc for gaming and a little bit of youtube (music only on home theater system), I want something with a good positioning sound. I was thinking about getting the Sennheiser Game One with the GSX 1000. Do they work well together? Does somebody own this exact set?

I'm really nervous about putting a soundcard into my pc because of the static noises and stuff like that, so an external amp would be perfect for me. I've been using closed back headphones for quite a while now but decided to get some opened cans. Less heat and better audio (in my opinion) made it clear to me after trying the game one at a friends place.

Thanks for your support!

Yeah i own this set but havn't tested it much yet, the game i mainly play (rainbow six siege) has crappy sound unfortunately

Associate
To show how the GSX sounds on say a Youtube video you need to record the headphone input of the Unit. If you just record a game standard all you doing is recording the audio before its got to the unit.

For Setup the GSX works best when Windows is set to 7.1 Full range speakers and games are set to 7.1 or surround headphone options. The GSX can also work well taking a standard stereo 2.0 and creating a virtual surround sound just like My Dolby Demo above.

Thanks, i was wondering though if i wanted to play a game or listen to music in stereo do i also have to set the windows configuration settings back to stereo as well?

Associate
Yeah i own this set but havn't tested it much yet, the game i mainly play (rainbow six siege) has crappy sound unfortunately

Okay thank you, would be great if you could test it with a few other games you own. Since I don't play Rainbow Six it doesn't really matter to me, although this game doesn't have a true surround sound if I'm not wrong people have been arguing about that on reddit.

So would be nice to know how they sound in Witcher 3, CS, BF etc.

Again thanks for the fast reply, appreciate it! :)

Back
Top Bottom