Sennheiser gsx 1000 thread?

Soldato
Had mine a couple of months now and love it for all the reasons posted above. I cant help but be curious though, can I make it better still by upgrading my HyperX 1's, if so what would be a noticeable upgrade?

Soldato
yea love mine for pubg.. hellblade out tonight gonna be interesting to see how it handles that game considering the sound "questing" thingy in it.. seems interesting 1 hour till unlock!

Soldato
Cheers I'll have a look, what are these Game One's I keep reading about?
You can bet Sennheiser won't attach mic for free so they're likely some low end HD5xx based.
HD59x models are one of the better headphones in "competitive" gaming sense with their neutral bass...
Just like AKG 701/702 which are one of the top headphones for binaural sound.

Though with GSX using cheap ass low end DAC/output buffer hardware meant for cheap phones/tablets those AKGs are possibly toward too power hungry end of headphones.
Shame that Sennheiser made it genuine "audiophile" product with three quarters of price being empty air and hype.

But if you want bass to not be "shy" bass neutral headphones have deficiency in that fun factor.
And your Kingston HyperX (/QPAD QH90) being based on Takstar Pro 80 has rather typical stronger bass of closed headphones:
http://www.tomsguide.com/answers/id-2844049/hyperx-cloud-headset-gap.html
https://uk.hardware.info/reviews/60...gher-quality-testresults---frequency-response
Darn what a ugly curves, just shows what kind garbage gaming stuff is...

For big open headphone sound stage and some feel in bass something like Beyerdynamic DT990 might be better approach.
Their Pro version is semi free for its quality compared to gaming junk prices.
But do you have quiet or noisy environment?

Soldato
I live next to a main road so its nice to drown that out if the window is open and I'm gaming
While driving games might not mind having that road traffic background doubt you play only those.
Well, maybe it might fit also to Cities: Skylines...:p

So closed headphones are definitely better choise.
Something like Beyerdynamic DT770 would be good starting point.
32 ohm version of that with factory attached mic is called as MMX300, with QPAD QH1339 being custom coloured variant of it.
Such shame those QPAD headsets aren't as common as others because of being actually quality aiming.
http://www.pcgameware.co.uk/reviews/headsets/qpad-qh-1339-headset-review/

OCUK seems to have one B-stock MMX300 for a price of Chinese gaming junk.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/b-gr...-and-multimedia-stereo-headset-bg-000-by.html

Associate
For those umming and aahing over purchasing this, google has alerted me to the fact that it is now available for £120.99 from a certain bricks and mortar retailer that used to stock pencils on which you wrote your order down from their catalogue. That's down almost £80 from full RRP and £60 cheaper than I paid.

Man of Honour
Shame I've kind of gone off owning one now - I've got a £20 gift card unused for that store. Gaming has kind of switched to a back seat in my life lately though with so many poorly implemented/executed or just plain broken game releases.

Soldato
OP
For those umming and aahing over purchasing this, google has alerted me to the fact that it is now available for £120.99 from a certain bricks and mortar retailer that used to stock pencils on which you wrote your order down from their catalogue. That's down almost £80 from full RRP and £60 cheaper than I paid.

Excellent price and where I think this product should be priced.

Truth of the matter is though, this is easy the best virtual surround sound on the market and that alone has a premium price tag.
So I still didn't mind paying the original asking price.

Associate
Excellent price and where I think this product should be priced.

Truth of the matter is though, this is easy the best virtual surround sound on the market and that alone has a premium price tag.
So I still didn't mind paying the original asking price.
Agreed. The unit should be around £120 and they should have a £150 version that drove higher end headphones. I think they would sell many more if it was priced around that mark. It shows how much profit Sennheiser make on these if it can be sold at £120, i doubt the retailer is selling at a loss!

What's disappointed me is that the only notable 'Techtuber' to review the unit is Hardware Canucks, I was hoping Linus or some other notable tech tuber would review it and give their thoughts.

Soldato
Agreed. The unit should be around £120 and they should have a £150 version that drove higher end headphones. I think they would sell many more if it was priced around that mark. It shows how much profit Sennheiser make on these if it can be sold at £120, i doubt the retailer is selling at a loss!
Considering £30 budget sound cards give you better DAC and equally beefy output GSX's hardware could be likely sold for £50...

Soldato
OP
Considering £30 budget sound cards give you better DAC and equally beefy output GSX's hardware could be likely sold for £50...

Bit low, the only thing lacking is amp output. The DAC is perfectly fine.
You then have build quality, external adds price, it's features ability to record game audio and communication separately.

All adds cost, then you have the best virtual surround sound. £120 is a perfect price.
It's aimed at gamers, they is loads of top quality headphones out there that fit within the amp range. Sennheiser themselves have excellent headphones that work well with this unit, my philips fidelio x1 are perfect also.

You start going higher power your market you aiming for becomes much smaller.

So I can totally understand Sennheiser here.

Associate
Bit low, the only thing lacking is amp output. The DAC is perfectly fine.
You then have build quality, external adds price, it's features ability to record game audio and communication separately.

All adds cost, then you have the best virtual surround sound. £120 is a perfect price.
It's aimed at gamers, they is loads of top quality headphones out there that fit within the amp range. Sennheiser themselves have excellent headphones that work well with this unit, my philips fidelio x1 are perfect also.

You start going higher power your market you aiming for becomes much smaller.

So I can totally understand Sennheiser here.

Spot on mate!

Love mine for evening gaming on MMX300's, sound is fantastic and the virtual surround is incredibly immersive.

Best

Wulf

Associate
Just rebought one. Good timing as my fulla 2 just developed a fault. have just reserved one for £120 thanks to this thread. That is a decent price for this.

Associate
I have hd650s on the way. Will this be too weak for them?
Yeah far too weak. Plus a don't rate the hd650s much for gaming. For music they are my favourite though. Something from the HD59- range is great with the GSX1000. Just picked up mine today after owning one at launch. Slightly depressing how much better their surround is to everything else. I got use to dolby atmos for headphones but this is such a step up. Wish they'd just release the software.....hopefully one day

Back
Top Bottom