Sennheiser HD650 - The classic beauty in a grey dress Appreciation thread!

Soldato
Fair enough, I thought the SB-Z would be seriously under powered for the HD650's to the point of poor audio like plugging them into an old walkman so to speak. I never use my headphones on the loud side and if my SB-Z has enough power then obviously this is the cheapest option. I am no Audiophile but would like a nice improvement over my HD555's which I've had for what feels like most of my life. However I do have OCD's in the fact of spending £250 on a set of can's knowing that they have more to give.
Maybe I will try the SB-Z and see how it goes, doesn't look like many people have tested it, mostly when the question has popped up audiophiles have jumped in and said it's no good.

Soldato
I did use the HD650 with the SB Z for a while and it was ok but when I moved up to the STX there was a noticeable difference, probably due to the latter card's more powerful amp.

Associate
stx 2 and raid dlx are fairly similar, with the nod for music slightly to the stx 2 and the nod for games to the dlx. (from my research) i chose the dlx over stx2 solely on the fact that it take a 6 pin pcie not a molex :)

Soldato
Thanks again for the replies, think that's what I'll do then, my main use is gaming and if the DLX has the edge over the STX, also my case is more geared for PCI-E connectors (it'll just look better). As long as the amp in the DLX is as good I'll go for that and the HD650's then.

Edit reading a lot of issues with the DLX and W10/BF4, have these been fixed?

Last edited:
Soldato
People that spend £150-£200 on a sound card, do so for the superior DAC and amp those sound cards offer. Far better in my opinion to use a much cheaper sound card, that can provide all the effects stuff, and spend the money that would have gone on an expensive sound card on a good DAC and amp.

If you get a DAC with optical input, just connect it to your SB Z. That way you can retain the sound card for DSP effect purposes, but you have a better quality DAC and amp for where the money really counts, better quality sound.

Why would anyone recommend a Strix Deluxe for what, £165?

Not sure the issues with Windows 10 have been fixed, but this is why I think spending that kind of money on a sound card makes no sense. Let's just say Microsoft release a future update that screw around with sound cards again, what then?

If you've got a good external DAC and amp, then you'll still have good quality sound, even if all sound cards are gimped. If you've just got a £165 sound card for audio and nothing else, then.....

Associate
the SABRE 9016a is a very good dac. and just generally the DLX card has some great components, upgraded over the pro and soar.

don't think you would get much better than that package for the price.

And no i haven't had any issues with windows 10 x64. there was a driver update recently, maybe that fixed it.

i didn't pay quite that much (got it for £150) and i recommend it because its working amazingly for me, with the hd650s and the optical out to my sony midi hifi which ive used for ages on my pc.

also no desire to have a string of devices hanging off my pc. however the volume/switcher box which comes with the card works fantastically for instant switching between headphones and speakers.

Oh and like i mentioned earlier, the headphone amp drives the 650s without breaking a sweat, infact the only thing that will break is your eardrums if you aint careful :) anything over 50 volume gets painful, no background hiss, just all good.

edit:

good review here for more specifics: http://www.kitguru.net/components/s...on/asus-strix-raid-dlx-7-1-sound-card-review/

Last edited:
Soldato
People that spend £150-£200 on a sound card, do so for the superior DAC and amp those sound cards offer. Far better in my opinion to use a much cheaper sound card, that can provide all the effects stuff, and spend the money that would have gone on an expensive sound card on a good DAC and amp.

If you get a DAC with optical input, just connect it to your SB Z. That way you can retain the sound card for DSP effect purposes, but you have a better quality DAC and amp for where the money really counts, better quality sound.

Why would anyone recommend a Strix Deluxe for what, £165?

Not sure the issues with Windows 10 have been fixed, but this is why I think spending that kind of money on a sound card makes no sense. Let's just say Microsoft release a future update that screw around with sound cards again, what then?

If you've got a good external DAC and amp, then you'll still have good quality sound, even if all sound cards are gimped. If you've just got a £165 sound card for audio and nothing else, then.....

I have an Asus Xonar Essence STX II and an external AMP/DAC SMSL M3 and honestly I can't tell the difference between them when it comes to sound quality and amount of volume, I've done blind A/B tests but still nothing.

IMO it would be wise to go for a decent external AMP/DAC and put the rest towards good cans i.e the 650's :D

Soldato
or. get the dlx and the 650s! ;)

the card has replaceable op-amps should you wish to do so also.

The STXII which IMO is superior to the Strix as with the Strix you are paying extra for the control box and branding, Also has replaceable op amps but in reality this does very little to change the sound signature.

Soldato
So I can see the DLX for £150 and the STXII for £178 and the 7.1 is over £200, take it the standard one is only 5.1?
The HD650 are £250 so thats £400 (DLX) on audio with no return, my SB-Z is worth next to nothing and I couldn't give my beaten up trusty HD555's away there's organisms yet to be discovered by man living in them cans.

I'm sure by the time I've bought a amp and DAC I'll have spent £150+ which would have gone on the SC, plus I can't be doing with the clutter on my desk so that's really out of the running now.

Looks like the DLX is the newer card over the STXII but the STXII seems like a more popular card, think I'll do some homework to see which will power the HD650's best. Although at first look there isn't anything in it? Which is a better gaming card...hmmmm no-one has mentioned the ZXR. Other computer parts are far easier than audio.

Last edited:
Associate
The STXII which IMO is superior to the Strix as with the Strix you are paying extra for the control box and branding, Also has replaceable op amps but in reality this does very little to change the sound signature.

its not better, it really isnt, just do some googling and there are plenty of threads to compare. stx has been out much longer, so more people will have it. check the chips used and you will see that the cards are pretty similar.

oh and as i mentioned, the box that comes with it makes the whole experience of running headphones and speakers excellent.

from the research i did, the stx 2 has the slight edge for music, and the dlx slight edge for games.

i was in the position of upgrading the sound in my pc a couple of weeks ago, so the research is still quite fresh in my mind.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
I don't really see any benefit in dedicated soundcards these days when you can get an external USB DAC which does everything for not too much more. Okay, if you wanted to power speakers as well, then perhaps the price will increase a bit further, but the DAC route was the best thing I ever did going from X-Fi/STX cards

Edit*
I also game often, and have noticed no difference in gaming audio effects being "lost" after binning off gaming soundcards. If anything, I've gained from the extra clarity and quality of sound.

Last edited:

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Not an issue at all, most AAA games (all?) support stereo 3d positioning anyway without the need for "gaming" soundcards. BF1 is one of those very games, choose headphones/large speakers and the like you get ample positioning. I have found no issue in any game I play in this regard and it's easy to tell where specific sounds are coming from.

As I say, gaming soundcards had their time, but these days they're not necessary.

Associate
nor are USB dacs. i dont know which one you use, but you will have to pay a lot for any appreciable sound quality improvement over the top soundcards. if you can even notice it.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
nor are USB dacs. i dont know which one you use, but you will have to pay a lot for any appreciable sound quality improvement over the top soundcards. if you can even notice it.

NAD D 7050. I used to have the Essence STX with modded OpAmps (and the X-Fi Titanium before that). There is an appreciable difference in sound clarity with the typical "NAD sound", smooth, warm and detailed. Well suited to headphones like the HD6xx/AKG K/Q series and the like. The major difference is the super clean noise floor.

Speaking of HD6XX... Anyone seen this? https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-sennheiser-hd6xx?referer=EZXRFJ#_=_

Soldato
They are just HD650s and by the time you convert from pounds to dollars, pay shipping and get stung for import duty you may as well get them from the rain forest.

Oh and the 25/12 delivery date is for domestic deliveries only, you have to factor in the transatlantic and UK legs too.

Last edited:
Associate
They are just HD650s and by the time you convert from pounds to dollars, pay shipping and get stung for import duty you may as well get them from the rain forest.

Oh and the 25/12 delivery date is for domestic deliveries only, you have to factor in the transatlantic and UK legs too.

They arent just 650s, they are 650s with a far worse colour scheme :D

Back
Top Bottom